Gi users please answer this question. What kind of gi do you use and why?

jjmuaythaiguy

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I did a search and came up with nothing on gi useage. So I am asking people who use gi for whatever grappling style, which one they use and why?

I have been training one year, six months. I train and compete with a classic white Atama double weave. NAGA champion - gi, Kauai Grappler's Paradise Division and Absolute gi champ, BJJ Open no gi champ. Been in Grappler Magazine once with my individual result and with the team for NAGA, Feb 2005.

When I first started bjj everyone at my academy had them and it was recommended for the durability. Down side is the cost and shipping to Hawaii. I own two but my original one is dead I'm afraid and needs to be replaced. Probably frame it.

I hear that Gracie brother gi is made from one "sheet" of fabric and is stronger than Atama.

I also hear that Koral makes some great gis.

I am going to start judo to learn some takedowns for those two points and position. I'm really going to put some wear and tear on my gi and want to buy one that will last.

I won't say that money is no object but I am willing to pay good money for good product. I wear a A6 top and bottom. Help me decide fellow grapplers. Thanks in advance.

Atama...my firiend. Koral & Gracie are pretty pricy. As for wear and tear wash with cold, hang dry. The gi hold up while training but the constant washing is what gets it.

See you on the mat!

i got a gameness gold weave and i like it about 50 times more than my atama double. its much more comfortable, softer fabric, yet plenty sturdy. the collar is also thicker and harder to grab. pants are stronger than the atama pants too. its not one piece but it doesnt have a skirt made of different, thinner material - its the same weave throughout.

ohyeah, i train bjj

I have three gis, a heavyweight Bad Boy tribal gi, a lighter Koral gi and a Brezek summer weave gi. I used the Bad Boy gi when training for tourneys as the collar really makes you worry about chokes and as it is heavy it tires you quicker. I have my Koral for regular training as it is quite light and comfortable but strong. My Brezek gi is for hot days when I want to train but don't want to pass out. Each gi serves a different purpose and can be used depending on what I want out of my training.

Superbeast said:
I have three gis, a heavyweight Bad Boy tribal gi, a lighter Koral gi and a Brezek summer weave gi. I used the Bad Boy gi when training for tourneys as the collar really makes you worry about chokes and as it is heavy it tires you quicker. I have my Koral for regular training as it is quite light and comfortable but strong. My Brezek gi is for hot days when I want to train but don't want to pass out. Each gi serves a different purpose and can be used depending on what I want out of my training.

Yeah, its getting hot as hell in Hawaii too.

Some prices of the different gi, estimated shipping costs?

riofightwear.com brand gi, it has been the most durable i own and under a 100$.
backup gi is a white koral with the black lapels, good gi but sleeves are too long

riofightwear.com brand gi, it has been the most durable i own and under a 100$.
backup gi is a white koral with the black lapels, good gi but sleeves are too long

I have experience with 4 brands.

Koral: Great durable gis. They're comfortable and strong. Expensive but there's a reason why it's so popular. Approx. $125.

Ouano: Not too bad for the price. However, I've had problems with the pants ripping apart after a while. I finally trashed my Ouano jacket after it got so torn up that people's feet were getting trapped in the holes of my gi. Approx cost is $85-$100.

Machado Kimonos: I absolutely love these gis. They are strong, durable and Luciana provides awesome customer service. These are the most comfortable gold weave gis I have ever tried. Only downside is that they sell like hotcakes and they always sell out of their popular sizes shortly after receiving new shipments. Approx. $100-$125.

Vulkan: Just bought this gi. It's supposed to be a summer weave. Super light material (pants actually feel like pajamas) but still strangely strong. I don't know about the durability of these. But then again, I only paid $80 for them from Gilberto at jiujitsuprogear.com

Gameness Gold Weave - because it's thick and holds up to the rigorous wear and tear of BJJ
Atama Summer Weave - because it's thin and perfect for technique classes.

There's a few other Gi's I'm looking to buy within the next year as well, another Gameness Gold Weave but in blue, and possibly a Howard Combat Kimono or a Na Guarda gi as well.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
I have experience with 4 brands.

Koral: Great durable gis. They're comfortable and strong. Expensive but there's a reason why it's so popular. Approx. $125.

Ouano: Not too bad for the price. However, I've had problems with the pants ripping apart after a while. I finally trashed my Ouano jacket after it got so torn up that people's feet were getting trapped in the holes of my gi. Approx cost is $85-$100.

Machado Kimonos: I absolutely love these gis. They are strong, durable and Luciana provides awesome customer service. These are the most comfortable gold weave gis I have ever tried. Only downside is that they sell like hotcakes and they always sell out of their popular sizes shortly after receiving new shipments. Approx. $100-$125.

Vulkan: Just bought this gi. It's supposed to be a summer weave. Super light material (pants actually feel like pajamas) but still strangely strong. I don't know about the durability of these. But then again, I only paid $80 for them from Gilberto at jiujitsuprogear.com

It appears that $125 is the price for most Korals, Atamas and Machados, with extra shipping to Hawaii. Probably a preference thing for people. I'd like to switch and at least say that I tried another gi so I am seriously looking at Korals and Gracie Brothers. I think that Summer Weave is another avenue I got to look at. Its so damn hot. We got a steel roof with no attic. Right at training the sun is going down and beaming right down on us. We got to decide to close the iron shutters to block that sun or leave it open and get baked and fried! Whew.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Any try HCK?

I have 2 mikado judo gi's, these are great $80 canadian which is like $50 u.s. they're tough and hard to grab. I also have a Toraki Gold, this is the most comfortable judo gi I own. I have a Toraki orange, this one is real easy to grab and getting choked with it leaves a rash, but it's light weight, cheap, and a good handicaping gi. I wanna get a gameness gi, or atama for Bjj.

Dedicado said:
I have 2 mikado judo gi's, these are great $80 canadian which is like $50 u.s. they're tough and hard to grab. I also have a Toraki Gold, this is the most comfortable judo gi I own. I have a Toraki orange, this one is real easy to grab and getting choked with it leaves a rash, but it's light weight, cheap, and a good handicaping gi. I wanna get a gameness gi, or atama for Bjj.

Since you mentioned it, can or do people use a bjj gi for judo? For judo, you have to have a bigger gap between the wrist and the sleeve right, four fingers or something? $50 U.S. can't go wrong there.

My vote goes to Atama or wait a couple months until Luciana gets some more gis in stock and check out MKimono/Lutador Americano hybrid gis. Another thing you should consider is that Judo gis are much more roomy than bjj gis and Judo competitions won't allow you to wear a bjj gi (nor will some clubs from what I've heard). You might want to look into getting a cheap single weave Judo gi for the time being before spending $100+ on another bjj gi.

Koral, its all i know :(

b00m3r said:
My vote goes to Atama or wait a couple months until Luciana gets some more gis in stock and check out MKimono/Lutador Americano hybrid gis. Another thing you should consider is that Judo gis are much more roomy than bjj gis and Judo competitions won't allow you to wear a bjj gi (nor will some clubs from what I've heard). You might want to look into getting a cheap single weave Judo gi for the time being before spending $100+ on another bjj gi.

Good point. My friend is a judo blackbelt and has offered to teach me judo throws and takedowns at his judo dojo if I join for $20 a month unlimited judo. I know that he knows I take bjj and got an Atama but I never bothered to ask if I could use it there.

Might break some rule or honor thingee.

Thanks for bringing that up, now I got to ask. I don't think I will be competing in any judo competitions unless they got a Senior I or II class. I don't want to be slammed too much at my age but understand its bound to happen.

I currently have Berzek, Machado, and Koral. I like the Koral the best; it's comfortable and durable. I recently purchased a Gameness gi but that'll be my competition gi so I haven't rolled in it. I put it on and it fit like a glove.

I've also had Krugans, Mizuno, Atama, and Aries. The Krugans wasn't too durable. The Mizuno was more of a judo cut but it lasted me a long time. The Aries was total shit; didn't like the cut, the fabric, or anything.

Overall I'd say that the Koral is my favorite.

Also, I just wanted to add that you may want to look into this new Gi company called Na Guarda. Several people I know have tried it and are absolutely raving about how good it is.

www.naguarda.com

Koral seems to be a favorite in this thread and in competitions from what I see. I think in 101 Submissions that was the majority of the gis worn, from what I saw. Anybody have classic white with no patches on the shoulders or back. Do they make a plain white?

It has been my experience from searching the internet and asking my classmates that no one just sells the jacket top. Anybody know why? It seems they are a pair no matter where you shop. My Atama pants are fine just need a new top. I think some place should allow you to order a jacket top huh?

Back