Gi users please answer this question. What kind of gi do you use and why?

HCK or Atama.

Howard Combat Kimonos are no doubt the toughest gi's around. All the seams are taped and the collar is very thick. I would go for the competition single or double weave.

jjmuaythaiguy said:
Thanks for hitting this thread. I searched the HCK website and not only do they have an A-6 but you don't have to buy the bottom. Could you please tell me how long you been training with the HCK, what style grappling and how it is holding up. Any comparisons to other single weave gis you had, have or tried. Thanks. $60 is awesome, but again I don't want it to be ripped to threads in months. Hawaii got the NAGAs coming up in September.

i do bjj. i've only had the HCK for about 6 months, but it is holding up very well. a lot of the people i train with have had them for longer with no problems. i have an atama that is a couple years old and it is holding up well. both are single weave. i'd go with a howard and atama would be a close second. the howard has a nice wide stiff collar and the gi is just more comfortable..

Rhadi Ferguson said:
TORAKI!!!! Custom made. Get measure and wait a couple of months. It's expensive, but if you are fighting in international judo competitions - extra gi is a bad thing. The measurement skim the line of illegal but the gi passes all measurements.

Best thing ever!

Thanks for hitting the thread. I am searching their website now to checkon costs and shipping to Hawaii. When you are saying "the measurement skim the line of illegal" are you talking about the four fingers gap in between the sleeves and the wrists or is there something else I don't know. Thanks again for your time.

I use an old judo gi, after 3 years of intensive use it still isn't damaged at all, it's like a god damn war horse

The Machado golden weave gi is light, durable and a good fit. Perfect for training in the sun :D If you train with Relson he should know where to get these.

jjmuaythaiguy said:
Thanks for hitting this thread. I searched the HCK website and not only do they have an A-6 but you don't have to buy the bottom. Could you please tell me how long you been training with the HCK, what style grappling and how it is holding up. Any comparisons to other single weave gis you had, have or tried. Thanks. $60 is awesome, but again I don't want it to be ripped to threads in months. Hawaii got the NAGAs coming up in September.
make sure you check the size charts...their sizes aren't like the A4 A5 etc.

Height and Weight Chart

Note: These are estimates only; each individual's size is unique.

Height

Weight

HCK Size

5' 7" to 5' 9"

160 to 185 lbs

5 jacket & 4 pants

5' 10" to 6' 0"

156 to 180 lbs (average build)

5' 10" to 6' 0"

181 to 200 lbs (muscular build)

6 jacket & 5 pants

6' 1" to 6' 3"

175 to 215 lbs

6' 1" to 6' 3"

195 lbs and up (very muscular build)

7 jacket & 6 pants

6' 3" and up

225 lbs and up

sorry...thats a bit unclear, but click size chart on the HCK site, and you'll see what I mean

infamous mattyd said:
sorry...thats a bit unclear, but click size chart on the HCK site, and you'll see what I mean

Thanks, I know that you are well intentioned and am trying to estimate my size. I'm a big Hawaiian so its not the height I need its the tummy. But will check with the HCK people on Monday to make sure I got the right size. Thanks again.

Bubble Boy said:
Hey, did you ever buy a gi dude? What'd you get?

Yeah.

I actually still had a double weave Atama but had some extra money and wanted to buy some summer gis.

To answer your question though, I got a Mizuno single and a Atama summer weave. Both are super great. I love both. My Mizuno fits great.

The Atama was a little longer in the arm sleeves so I had my gf's mom adjust it and the pants and its great. People are making comments about the fitand feel of both. Its so hot in Hawaii those gis are great.

I wanted a Machado too but they are out of my size and I have not been able to reach Lucia? to see when they will get more. I am also waiting for a Gracie brother gi. Since I am a A-6 I am hard to fit.

I still want to get that Machado and a try others. I actually won another Atama A6 on ebay but the owner before me must have dried it a lot because it is rather tight. When I wash my gi I hang it up outside of my apartment on my lanai on a makeshift clothesline to prevent shrinking and to preserve the gi. As soon as I lose another 15 pounds or so that gi will go into rotation with the rest.

Again much thanks to all the posters who provided info, links and helpful information on their gis, fit and feel.

The Gi I use is called Fatal Fightwear. It's Goldweave (or whatever you call it) and it's quite durable. It's cheap too, just about 76 dollars. It's an unknown brand even in my country but it's a quality Gi.

Gold Toraki. Convenient. I love it though. You can bleach the shit outta it and its perfect.

I use the atama gi. The same kind of gi Royce Gracie used in the earlier UFC.
It's "custom made", it's as thin as a single weave, but as strong as a double weave. And it has thick collars aswell. The gi there is.

Back