Gi switchers?

Ghosted-Barra

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many people here train in a summer gi like a vulkan or pearl, to switch to a gameness plat or a HCK for a tourney?

just out of curiousity, why would you?

Because sometimes if you train in gis like the HCK or Platinum you can develop bad habits because of their ridiculous collars. You can get away with bad technique and not get choked simply because of the collar. If you train in a Pearl or something with a terribly flimsy collar, you'll learn good defense, and switching to the heavy gi/collar for a tourney will give you added protection on top of your solid defense.

ah i see. i'm fairly new to the jits game so ive never even thought about that. i mostly go for comfort, which is why i train and own a couple vulkan gi's switching from atamas. ill be using a vulkan ultralight w/ a gb patch kit for the tourneys.

i like my koral gis. i only wear the one type because i want to be as comfortable and as familiar in it as possible.

im not sure why, but can someone who is knowledgable tell me why they are such great gis? :)

I switch gis after weigh ins.... Does that make me a crim?

I only wear the summer Gi when I train at my summer mansion.

HCK gi's are evil for tourneys, they shouldn't exist!

Personal experience is that with the HCK and Gameness kimonos its not that much tougher to choke them with.. and the choke is actualy WORSE when it does sink in becaue of the stiffness of the collar.

Gi's dont win matches.

Dont expect it to make any difference at all.

Ive fought in different kinds of gi's - it really doesnt matter. A collar is not going to save you.

Only reason i would swap out is for a slightly lighter gi if i was right on the edge of a weight class and was trying to make weight.

Because sometimes if you train in gis like the HCK or Platinum you can develop bad habits because of their ridiculous collars. You can get away with bad technique and not get choked simply because of the collar. If you train in a Pearl or something with a terribly flimsy collar, you'll learn good defense, and switching to the heavy gi/collar for a tourney will give you added protection on top of your solid defense.

Exactly, and to top it off, the ratio of gameness plats to every other gi was about 3 to 1 at the last NAGA tourney I was at. I only seen a few vulkans, and a decent amount of Korals, so I was wondering if people just used the heavier gi with thicker collars for tourneys.

Foppa - yes thats a crime lol

My first gi was a Platinum and while it is a nice gi, it is very heavy IMO. I picked up a Ouano and love it for its overall lightness. I prefer it a bit more just to stay cool but that is about it. The collar is definitely flimsy compared to the Platinum. The majority of guys at my gym (beginners) have the Pearl or Platinum and some of them are shocked how light my Ouano is. :icon_chee

Personal experience is that with the HCK and Gameness kimonos its not that much tougher to choke them with.. and the choke is actualy WORSE when it does sink in becaue of the stiffness of the collar.

Gi's dont win matches.

Dont expect it to make any difference at all.

Ive fought in different kinds of gi's - it really doesnt matter. A collar is not going to save you.

Only reason i would swap out is for a slightly lighter gi if i was right on the edge of a weight class and was trying to make weight.

In my short experience (but a black belt instructor echoed the same thoughts), the thick collars definitely hurt more, but the actually choke isn't as effective. Sometimes you actually have to turn the collar to get the edge onn the arteries. If you try to choke with the whole collar, the large surface area can hinder the actual choke. Seems stupid, but it's true.

The thick collar defnitely isn't going to prevent you from getting choked, but it can sure buy you some time that a flimsy little collar wouldn't provide. They are also a bitch to grip...

Back