Gi sizing question

PoppaKap

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I am 5 foot 6.5 inches and 162 lbs. I am looking to buy a Koral gi. What size should I get? I was thinking an A1 but I seem to be in the middle of the sizes. Anyone of similar size have a Koral or know how there sizing runs?

I would go with A2 .. but if you ask Gliberto he will tell you ..

I am about 5'8" 220 and went with the A3 and it fits perfect ....

so the jacket woudl proably be to big but the pants lenght would be right

i am 7' 6" 265 and i wear an A-5. you should definetly get an A-5

For anyone who is interested for future reference: I was between A1 and A2. I bought an A1 from Jiujitsuprogear.com. I am happy with the size and the service

Koral's are pre-shrunk other wise you would be a A2. What color did you get? I like the olive green/brown one.

www.SSFgear.com

See? thats the downside of pre-shrunk. No halfsizes!

I bought the standard white with red. I didn't want to be to bold because I haven't been training to long.

I have a question about sizing and I figured I'd add it here rather than waste a new thread. I'm currently fairly overweight (working on it...) but I'm 5'11" and 270. By weight I'm like an A5 but by height I'm an A3. What should I be looking at in a gi?

At 5'11" you'd be dwarfed by an A5. One of my students was about 310lbs and wore an A4. He was about 6'. It may be that you have to get it taken up by a garment alteration store (tailor or dressmaker). It isn't expensive and they usually do a pretty good job providing you tell them that you want it exactly like it was only shorter! You need to emphasise the importance of the cuffs when you do this though otherwise they will just shorten it as they would a jacket or trousers. Otherwise the first time you use it properly it will come undone.

We have a section in our site about kimono/gi care (washing, shrinking, colour fixing) and comparrison
charts for sizes in the different makes. Not all the brands use the same criteria for sizing. Especially in
the larger sizes. So what is for the tall in one brand might be for the wide in another. Don't just assume
that one is the same as another size wise!

Here is the link for the kimono care and sizing section http://locker-room.fightgear.net/kimonokare.htm

Also before you buy a particular brand, check out our reviews section which carries reviews of all the major (and most of the minor) brands of kimono/gi with reviews from newsgroups, forums, email and ourselves! This is the major gi review site on the web.

http://locker-room.fightgear.net/kimono.htm

Hope it helps!

Thanks for the reply. I was looking around a lot and it seems like Gameness and Dragao are pretty well respected and Gameness def. has a price I can agree with. It didn't occur to me I could have it taken in, that makes a lot of sense. You answered the question I really had was if the sizes ran taller when they got bigger or wider. I think an A4 would probably suit me best. Thanks a lot for the help!

SH5 said:
I would go with A2 .. but if you ask Gliberto he will tell you ..

I am about 5'8" 220 and went with the A3 and it fits perfect ....

so the jacket woudl proably be to big but the pants lenght would be right

SH5, are the arms too long for you with the A3 size? I'm 5'7" 215 and i'm about to buy a gi soon since i'm starting to take classes.

Back