Gi Review: Storm Kimonos 'Typhoon' gi

Meerkatsu

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi guys, time for another gi review.

Made4fighters sent me a Storm Typhoon gi. This gi is endorsed by Renzo Gracie and Andre Galvao.
MEERKATSU: Gi Review: Typhoon by Storm Kimonos

It's a very colourful bling gi with huge patches.

One thing I noticed was that the cut of the jacket was very different to all the other gis I have ever owned.

The arms slope downwards, which affects the overall feel of the gi.

Guys who are quite broad shouldered or muscly would suit this gi perfectly, but on skinny oiks like me it doesn't really feel as good as my other gis.

Some photos:

SEY_6730 by Seymour Yang, on Flickr

SEY_6731 by Seymour Yang, on Flickr

SEY_6948 by Seymour Yang, on Flickr

But I think it real puurrty.

Enjoy!

What size would you recommend for someone who is 5'6 and 140 lbs? It seems I'm between sizes on the A1 and A2. I have had a gi or two that have shrunk on me... lucky gi that got too small all of a sudden and the keiko raca that shrunk to fit just right. Should I think about getting a bigger size that will shrink or get a smaller size that will fit tighter at the get go?

What size would you recommend for someone who is 5'6 and 140 lbs? It seems I'm between sizes on the A1 and A2. I have had a gi or two that have shrunk on me... lucky gi that got too small all of a sudden and the keiko raca that shrunk to fit just right. Should I think about getting a bigger size that will shrink or get a smaller size that will fit tighter at the get go?

The best thing to do is to take the measurements of your best fitting gi and use those as a guide. Some manufacturers, like Storm, provide an in-depth size guide:

storm_size_chart.jpg

Which I found to be reasonably accurate - however the Storm does not shrink much.

Or, you could check out the sizes and stats as offered by all the other reviews on this section of the forum. I personally have reviewed a handful of gis and provided both before wash and after wash sizes.

See: MEERKATSU: BJJ Reviews

Another approach is to order two sizes from the company, try them on, take into account possibel shrinkage rates (based on reviews) and send back the unworn bigger or smaller size. Some companies are happy to do this, others less so. It'll cost you in postage but at least you get to see the product.

Hope this helps

Hi. You mention in your review that it's not a light gi. How heavy is it compared to some of the other brands?

Thanks.

Hi. You mention in your review that it's not a light gi. How heavy is it compared to some of the other brands?

Thanks.

A1 Storm is 1.82KG (4lbs)
A1x Fushida Komodo is 2.0kg (4.4lbs)
A2 Roy Dean 'Honor' gi is 1.77Kg (3.9lbs)
A2 Vulkan Pro Light is roughly 1.45Kg (3.2lbs)

I think the Storm is heavy mostly due to the huge patches and over-use of reinforcements. The fabric kinda sags under the heavy duty weight of the patch backing material. But it is by no means un-wearable. They're just observations I have made. It's still a pretty decent gi.

i have the a3 white one (i'm 5'10" 185lbs) and my brother has the black a2 (he's 5'10" 160lbs). I had to shrink mine about 2-3in off of the sleeve while my brother did not need to shrink his gi. My brother's fit was better as it was snug. I've had mine since January this year and until now, the fabric is still unbelievably soft. the only drawback i have with this gi is that when it's drenched in sweat, the fabric seems to be very soggy. Overall, i like the feel of the gi. very soft

Thanks for the review. That's a cool looking gi for sure.

I see more companies are adding pockets to their gis now. I'm just not sure if I like the pocket in the pants.. It's just too much work to access the pocket that way.

I have one of these gi's and I love it. I have 3 other gi's and this is my favorite. I'm actually in the process of ordering a 2nd one of these. I've had it for 2 months now and it hasn't shrunk at all and the white hasn't discolored either. I'm going to be picking up a blue one. I bought an A2 and I'm 5'8" tall and 175lbs. and this fits better than my other gi's. The fabric is really soft and the added padding in the knees is nice as well. I would definately recommend this gi.

I have one of these gi's and I love it. I have 3 other gi's and this is my favorite. I'm actually in the process of ordering a 2nd one of these. I've had it for 2 months now and it hasn't shrunk at all and the white hasn't discolored either. I'm going to be picking up a blue one. I bought an A2 and I'm 5'8" tall and 175lbs. and this fits better than my other gi's. The fabric is really soft and the added padding in the knees is nice as well. I would definately recommend this gi.

May I ask what the brands are, of the three other gis you own?

I really like the look of this gi and im very tempted to get one but just unsure on the sizing. im 5'11 and about 160lbs, im pretty long limbed though. if i got a a3 dos anyone know if it would shrink to fit well or would a a2 be best? my current gi is a keiko raca limited a2 the fits pretty well.

I really like the look of this gi and im very tempted to get one but just unsure on the sizing. im 5'11 and about 160lbs, im pretty long limbed though. if i got a a3 dos anyone know if it would shrink to fit well or would a a2 be best? my current gi is a keiko raca limited a2 the fits pretty well.

Check out the official Storm sizing chart:
storm_size_chart.jpg

The Storm gi does not shrink much - a couple cm off the sleeves at most.

May I ask what the brands are, of the three other gis you own?

I have 2 Vulcan Pro Light Gi's which I love and I also have an Atama Gi which is great quality but is a bit too big for me and is REALLY heavy. I'm thinking of either selling the Atama or having it tailored. Not sure if tailoring it will work though?

I just ordered a Storm Typhoon a few minutes ago...
Will let everyone know what the verdict is on this end.

Are you guys ordering direct from Storm or via a reseller?

Although originally intended for UK purchasers, I think Storm HQ will honour my MEERKATSU discount code. Some one told me they tried it and (via an email, not the checkout system) they honoured it. Just saying, might help you guys.

Just rolled in my new Storm Kimono.
Outstanding Gi.
Concur with Pistol Pete' MMAs assessment.
Tried on fellow BJJers new MKM Koral (A2) and Atama Mundial 9, fabric and fit don't come close for my size.
Also, the customer service was excellent.
My .02.

Back