Gi Review: Padilla & Sons Lightweight Competition Kimono A1 in black

Carter86

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first gi review. I've owned about 7 gis so far. I killed two gi's and sold 3 gis. I currently have old badboy gi in A1 I got from my training partner, Break point in A2, and this padilla and son's Kimono.

I am 5'7 and weigh around 150-155. According to many websites, i should wear A2 right? WRONG!!! :icon_twis

I have short arms, short legs and long torso. When I wear A2, I swim in it. My breakpoint gi is A2 and its really baggy on me. When i had my A2 fuji victory gi, I washed it in hot water and threw it in my dryer for 45 minutes and it was still baggy. So I decided to try A1 this time and I called Padilla & Sons after some research.

My original plan was to purchase gold weave gi but after I talked to a nice lady (sorry, I forgot her name. Its 1:30 AM right now) I decided to try lightweight kimono. I told her my measurements and she told me I should wear A1 and be careful with shrinkage.

Shipping from CA to Atlanta, GA took about 4 business days.

Here's me in the gi. I took the picture after I used it for 4 classes and 5 washes. I soaked the gi in white vinegar for the initial wash and ran it in a dryer for about 15 minutes.

PS1.jpg

DSC02657.jpg

DSC02658.jpg

DSC02659.jpg

::Overall Fit -Gi top-::
Out of the bag, the top fit me really nice. The sleeves came down to my wrist but it was little baggy around my torso area. After I washed in cold water, I put the gi in dryer for about 15 minutes and it shrank down to my liking.
Unlike fuji, you really dont want this gi in dryer for long time. It shrinks fast and wont stretch back so much.
I've read on this forum that P&S gi are cut similar to Judo gis but this is true bjj cut. The sleeves are tight and the skirt isnt long at all. Also, it doesnt have any patches except for a small embroidered shark on left arm and P&S logo on the right arm. You can customize the gi to your liking :)

::Weave & stitching::
To me, it seems like a single weave. What I really like about this gi is that inside of the gi is very soft while outside is rough and hard for my opponent to grab on. It is not abrasive like Koral or any other gold weave gi's. Ever after I hung-dry it, the weave remained soft.

I rolled in it for about 5 times and it still look brand new! the color of the gi didnt fade much. But the stitching around the shark gotten lose a little and I decided to use small scissors to cut a string. After I fixed it, I havent seen any loose stitches so far.

::Collar::
One thing I dont like about this gi is the collar. I am very picky about collar. My favorite collar is probably the breakpoint and Atama Mundial #9. Compare to other brands, P&S lightweight gi does have thin collar. Unlike popular EVA foam collars, P&S lightweight gi have traditional collars, I think. But I did get gi choked even when I wore HCK single weave kimono which is well-known for a thick collar. Maybe I should learn how to defend gi chokes first before I complain lol

::Overall fit -Gi pants-::
man, I really love this gi pants. I thought I shrank it little too much in a dryer but after I rolled in it for about 10 minutes, it stretched back enough for me to move freely without any restriction. This is very light weight and I dont even feel like Im wearing a gi when i roll. I can say with confidence that this is probably the best gi pants I've owned so far. The fit is not baggy at all and it comes down to middle of my ankle.

::Conclusion::
BJJ kimonos are getting expansive nowadays. It is very hard to find quality gis under $120. I was going to purchase Koral Lightweight kimono or Dragao at first but the price were too high for me. After some research, I've read so many good reviews about P&S kimonos and decided to try one myself.

WHAT A SURPRISE!!! THIS GI IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!

I really love how it fits me now after I shrank it. If you are in-between size like me, i suggest you should get P&S lightweight kimono. Wash it in cold water and hang dry it if you do not want any shrinkage. This applies to any kimonos.

In conclusion, I score this gi 95 out of 100. If it had better collar, i would have given 100.

More pics updated!

Last edited:
Nice review. I was looking into this company for a future purchase. How do you like this gi compared to your Fuji, besides it being a little more baggy?

I'd pick P&S gi over Fuji because P&S is better made gi. Fuji is great too but if you spend just $20 or $30 more, you can get a higher quality gi that will fit you better.

I got a padilla and sons lightweight gi in black...i love it...im sold...padilla and sons fo life....going to order me a lightweight in white next week :)

how much does the gi weigh - thanks`

i havent measured it but its heavier than vulkan ultra light. However, it doesnt get stretchy even after long hours of rolling. This is my favorite gi other than my competition gi which is old bad boy gi.

I think I'm going to have to pick one of these up. The price is right, I've heard good things, and it's got a shark on it.. basically everything I look for in a gi.

I worn+washed this gi about 15 times now. I rotate this gi with keiko raca limited in black. I prefer P&S over Keiko bc P&S gi fits me better and color hasnt faded. My keiko turned grey after two washes :(

I think I'm going to have to pick one of these up. The price is right, I've heard good things, and it's got a shark on it.. basically everything I look for in a gi.

LOL..great post

Are the pants light?

I am 6 2 and 195 and like my gis snug..I am thinking A3.

Anyone close to my size that can help?

anyone dried this on full blast dryer?

I put them in a dryer for 15 minutes after I washed them in cold water for the first time. It shrank really fast. Especially the trouser shrank sooo fast. You want to be careful when you put them in a dryer.

Which is more durable: the new lightweight or the gold weave ones? Also, I heard that lightweight has a slimmer cut than the gold weave. How true is that?

I'm about your size Carter: 5'7" 160lbs and trying to decide between a Padilla A1 & A2.
I've got a 30" inseam and 23" from my armpit to my wrist.
How much shrinkage have you had and do you feel the back seam by your neck/shoulders?

I think they are the same cut.
I own both.
Still like the Gold Weave a bit more (comfortable feeling fabric).

Personally would go for the A2 if I were you.
Besides, Joe Padilla would exchange the gi if it didn't fit.

The guy and his wife have the best customer service in the industry!
My two fave gis at this time are P&S and Storm.

Almost pulled the trigger on Shoyoroll's "the Yank." I just have a problem forking over cash to be held for 2-3mos before product arrival. My issue. I know it's a great product. Saw a 7th Son at the school yesterday.
People applaud their biz model. I think they should tweek it a bit, and have product on the shelf, ready to ship.

Nevertheless, A2 P&S is the way to go...Both the lightweight and the Gold Weave are very durable

Not to knock P&S, their customer service was great but the gold weave gets really hot and the cut is a little too roomy for me. I kinda wish I would have gotten the blue lightweight gi instead, but then I might not have acquired other gis.

Do the Padilla jackets have a seam on the back and if so do you feel it when rolling?

Do the Padilla jackets have a seam on the back and if so do you feel it when rolling?

No seam on the back. Both Goldweave and lightweight are of the 1 piece design. I have a blue P&S Goldweave and I like it a lot. Of course I just started, so I have no other gis to compare it to, but over the past few months, it has been holding up very well. Joe is great to work with. I am debating between a Fushida or a P&S on my next one. The only option I wish they offered was for ripstop pants....

I have an A3 that fits me well. I am 5'9 180.

LOL..great post

Are the pants light?

I am 6 2 and 195 and like my gis snug..I am thinking A3.

Anyone close to my size that can help?

I am 5'9 180 and I have the goldweave A3 that fits me well after a couple of dryer sessions. I would think that you would fit better in an A4...

Back