Gi Review: Padilla & Sons Lightweight Competition Kimono A1 in black

Do the Padilla jackets have a seam on the back and if so do you feel it when rolling?

The single weave does, the gold weave doesn't. I can't say I've felt the seam on the single weave when rolling, though.

I bought a gold weave back in 2007, and it is still my favourite gi: no sign of wear and tear yet. I've also got their single weave, which is good too, but I prefer the gold weave. Presuming they ever get damaged, I'll look into the lightweight (I would consider the hybrid if they ever did one in white). Presuming it is stock: these sell fast, so the A2 I wear is often out of stock when I look.

i havent felt the seams on the back. i dont think the lightweight models have them.

After 50 washes, the gi is still good. No tears and no problem with stitchings too. I love this gi :)

Carter - What size is your keiko raca and what has your experience been with it?
I'm also in Atlanta, where do you train?

i havent felt the seams on the back. i dont think the lightweight models have them.

After 50 washes, the gi is still good. No tears and no problem with stitchings too. I love this gi :)

The lightweights definitely don't have a seam in the back(in fact, it looks like all of the jackets on the P&S page are now one-piece). I've had one for 6 months and it's taken a lot of punishment. The only place that's showing any real wear is the embroidered shark.

The lightweights definitely don't have a seam in the back(in fact, it looks like all of the jackets on the P&S page are now one-piece). I've had one for 6 months and it's taken a lot of punishment. The only place that's showing any real wear is the embroidered shark.

Details?

Fraying? Threads coming undone? Discoloring?

The Padilla gi has such high remarks i'm curious to know what if any flaws it may have

My padillas have held up like tanks but yeah, the shark embroidery will come undone over time.

Hello, this is my first gi review. I've owned about 7 gis so far. I killed two gi's and sold 3 gis. I currently have old badboy gi in A1 I got from my training partner, Break point in A2, and this padilla and son's Kimono.

I am 5'7 and weigh around 150-155. According to many websites, i should wear A2 right? WRONG!!! :icon_twis

I have short arms, short legs and long torso. When I wear A2, I swim in it. My breakpoint gi is A2 and its really baggy on me. When i had my A2 fuji victory gi, I washed it in hot water and threw it in my dryer for 45 minutes and it was still baggy. So I decided to try A1 this time and I called Padilla & Sons after some research.

My original plan was to purchase gold weave gi but after I talked to a nice lady (sorry, I forgot her name. Its 1:30 AM right now) I decided to try lightweight kimono. I told her my measurements and she told me I should wear A1 and be careful with shrinkage.

Shipping from CA to Atlanta, GA took about 4 business days.

Here's me in the gi. I took the picture after I used it for 4 classes and 5 washes. I soaked the gi in white vinegar for the initial wash and ran it in a dryer for about 15 minutes.

PS1.jpg

DSC02657.jpg

DSC02658.jpg

DSC02659.jpg

::Overall Fit -Gi top-::
Out of the bag, the top fit me really nice. The sleeves came down to my wrist but it was little baggy around my torso area. After I washed in cold water, I put the gi in dryer for about 15 minutes and it shrank down to my liking.
Unlike fuji, you really dont want this gi in dryer for long time. It shrinks fast and wont stretch back so much.
I've read on this forum that P&S gi are cut similar to Judo gis but this is true bjj cut. The sleeves are tight and the skirt isnt long at all. Also, it doesnt have any patches except for a small embroidered shark on left arm and P&S logo on the right arm. You can customize the gi to your liking :)

::Weave & stitching::
To me, it seems like a single weave. What I really like about this gi is that inside of the gi is very soft while outside is rough and hard for my opponent to grab on. It is not abrasive like Koral or any other gold weave gi's. Ever after I hung-dry it, the weave remained soft.

I rolled in it for about 5 times and it still look brand new! the color of the gi didnt fade much. But the stitching around the shark gotten lose a little and I decided to use small scissors to cut a string. After I fixed it, I havent seen any loose stitches so far.

::Collar::
One thing I dont like about this gi is the collar. I am very picky about collar. My favorite collar is probably the breakpoint and Atama Mundial #9. Compare to other brands, P&S lightweight gi does have thin collar. Unlike popular EVA foam collars, P&S lightweight gi have traditional collars, I think. But I did get gi choked even when I wore HCK single weave kimono which is well-known for a thick collar. Maybe I should learn how to defend gi chokes first before I complain lol

::Overall fit -Gi pants-::
man, I really love this gi pants. I thought I shrank it little too much in a dryer but after I rolled in it for about 10 minutes, it stretched back enough for me to move freely without any restriction. This is very light weight and I dont even feel like Im wearing a gi when i roll. I can say with confidence that this is probably the best gi pants I've owned so far. The fit is not baggy at all and it comes down to middle of my ankle.

::Conclusion::
BJJ kimonos are getting expansive nowadays. It is very hard to find quality gis under $120. I was going to purchase Koral Lightweight kimono or Dragao at first but the price were too high for me. After some research, I've read so many good reviews about P&S kimonos and decided to try one myself.

WHAT A SURPRISE!!! THIS GI IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!

I really love how it fits me now after I shrank it. If you are in-between size like me, i suggest you should get P&S lightweight kimono. Wash it in cold water and hang dry it if you do not want any shrinkage. This applies to any kimonos.

In conclusion, I score this gi 95 out of 100. If it had better collar, i would have given 100.

More pics updated!

looks like it is very tight fighting and that is important so your opponent does not have as many handles for sweeps and submissions. Let us know how it holds up after all the wear and tear

Carter - What size is your keiko raca and what has your experience been with it?
I'm also in Atlanta, where do you train?

Hello,

I train at Team Octopus. Http://www.mmaatl.com

I disliked keiko raca bc the top kept opening up and showed my boobs to everyone lol but now, i've gotten used to it and i love it.

I ordered the black one and it faded to grey now :(

where do you train suspire?

Its been little more than a year and the gi is still holding up great!

Unlike ground control kimono, this thing is still awesome and didnt shrink after second shrinkage in dryer

Back