Gi Review: Fushida Komodo A1x blue

Meerkatsu

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi guys, further to the previous thread about the Fushida komodo, I thought I would post my own thoughts on a new thread.

Fushida is a Canadian judo company that now makes quality BJJ gis.

A lot of people swear this is the very best fitting gi you can ever buy. I had to find out if this was true.

My own full and (sorry very long) review here:
MEERKATSU: BJJ Gi Review: Fushida Komodo - Part Two

Summary:
1. Amazing customer service, second to none.
2. Need to submit 26+ body size and old gi size measurements
3. Fushida gis are not tailored but off the shelf, they just have lots of in betweeny sizes.
4. Pearlweave Jacket fitted absolutely perfectly
5. Ripstop trousers were way too long, which is surprising given the copious data given to Fushida.
6. Whole uniform has more stitching and reinforcements than any other gi I have ever seen, it is virtually indestructable!
7. A1x weighs 2.0Kg so it is heavy.

Some photos:

Fushida - presentation pic by Seymour Yang, on Flickr

Collar thickness versus by Seymour Yang, on Flickr

Arm-patch-2 by Seymour Yang, on Flickr

SEY_6082 by Seymour Yang, on Flickr

More pics to come...

Last edited:
Another solid review, I'll be getting the mantis though, just wished they had an X sizing for it. After reading this though, I really want a komodo and a mantis...ugghhh...choices.

Thank you for the great, thorough, and honest review. I really enjoyed it. I can't wait for mine to come through :)

Meerkatsu, in your opinion, what is the most comfortable gi?

Meerkatsu, in your opinion, what is the most comfortable gi?

Hey Law Bob Loblaw, if you want comfort (assuming you mean soft and flexible cf stiff and hard wearing) - go for any goldweave imo.
Okay not ANY goldweave, some are better than others. My MKimonos was awesomely comfortable, honestly a beautifully fitting and lovely feeling gi - it just shrank to oblivion and the stitching fell apart after couple of washes!

I have a gi I am currently testing, it is the most comfortable gi I have ever tried but it's not out yet. Once it is unveiled, I will publish the review. PM if you want more details.

For an available model that is comfortable, the Atama mundial goldweaves are nice. I had the #1 model and it was lovely. They're onto Mundial #9 or something like that so it may have changed quite a bit since then.

Hope this helps.

I know which gi it is... nah nah nah nah anhaaaaaaaaahahaaaa. :p

Sorry.

Hey guys, just a quick update.
Christo acknowledged that the trouser size he suggested to me originally was an error he made and he kindly sent me a replacement pair of pants - size A1 - without any charge. I've just got them and they fit absolutely A1 perfectly.
Guys you simply will not get better customer service than this ever.
Cheers.

so, umm, I now have a spare pair of Fushida pants, worn once, washed twice, size A1x - any takers (if you pay for postage)?

Hey Guys

I have dealt with Christo on a number of occasions and his customer service is top notch.

He has always treated me well and I will support his company until that changes.

My fushids mantis is my favourite gi now ahead of my 3 shoyorolls,

When the mantis comes out in black and blue with the increased sizing ranges like the komodo it will become a VERY popular gi.

Fushida is a quality company and stands behind their product 100%

I can

I would agree. Christo is awesome and his products are top notch. LOVE my Komodos in A2X. I have a white and a blue. Best fitting gi I have ever worn. Pants are a little big though. I prob could have gone with A2 in the pants.

I would agree. Christo is awesome and his products are top notch. LOVE my Komodos in A2X. I have a white and a blue. Best fitting gi I have ever worn. Pants are a little big though. I prob could have gone with A2 in the pants.

Any sizing difference between the two colors since the blue has dye in it? One softer than the other? Thanks

Well thanks to this review amongst others my Komodo should be here next week. I have agree with the others, Fushida has some great customer service.

Any sizing difference between the two colors since the blue has dye in it? One softer than the other? Thanks

Interesting question, I guess Christo could answer this more expertly.
but from what I've found with my other gis is that the colour doesn't affect the feel of the gi but it does add a little more weight.

This is me rocking my Komodo with Cobrinha.

Weird how his Keiko jacket skirt length is cool and short, but my skirt 'appears' long, but in reality I suspect they are the same length. I've now come to the conclusion that I have really high hip bones so my belt sits high up on my torso - does that sound weird?

46789_422966558659_504568659_4965215_2801273_n.jpg

I'm betting Cobrinha does not use his belt above his iliac crest. Many don't.

I for one care little about perceived skirt lengths :p

Interesting question, I guess Christo could answer this more expertly.
but from what I've found with my other gis is that the colour doesn't affect the feel of the gi but it does add a little more weight.

This is me rocking my Komodo with Cobrinha.

Weird how his Keiko jacket skirt length is cool and short, but my skirt 'appears' long, but in reality I suspect they are the same length. I've now come to the conclusion that I have really high hip bones so my belt sits high up on my torso - does that sound weird?

46789_422966558659_504568659_4965215_2801273_n.jpg

Meerkatsu is correct. The coloring process does add some slightly extra weight to the gi. Take two gi's same exact size and the blue/black will weigh just a touch more than the white.

As to the skirt length. I'll comment by saying that not all people are created equal. Two poeple with same height/weight does not neccesarily fit the same gi.
Meekatsu, your armlength is the main reason your skirt length is longer on all your gi's. Your skirt length and size requirements are for a size A1, however your armlength is an A2 requirement. Thus moving to the A2 to match your armlength thus creates a longer skirt length for you.
I dont feel it is your hip height that is the main reason for the longer skirt, but it does add to the end result in skirt length fit aswell.
Hope the above described your situation.

Based on your gi fit/body type we have already made some slight size chart adjustments to accomodate your body type better in our future releases.

Christo, while you're here, do you have any kind of estimate as to when the Mantis will have X sizes and/or Blue/Black versions?

Christo, while you're here, do you have any kind of estimate as to when the Mantis will have X sizes and/or Blue/Black versions?

Actually we are toying with the idea to do a complete new release in more cuts and also with the full color set. So the Mantis might not go through to blue/black colors as we anticipated originally.
This is however still in very early stages of development and we cant say which direction we will definitely go.

Thus within the first two quarters of 2011 we will be releasing either the added colors or we will release a total new model.

We have many new products in development for 2011 which is going to make next year pretty exciting for us.

Good. Wish you guys the very best. The gi industry needs more people like you.

Actually we are toying with the idea to do a complete new release in more cuts and also with the full color set. So the Mantis might not go through to blue/black colors as we anticipated originally.
This is however still in very early stages of development and we cant say which direction we will definitely go.

Thus within the first two quarters of 2011 we will be releasing either the added colors or we will release a total new model.

We have many new products in development for 2011 which is going to make next year pretty exciting for us.

Your Mantis gi is my next purchase! I love the minimalism of the gi and the cut of it. Judo Do-gi minimalism with a BJJ cut. I cant wait to save up a few bucks for this!

Back