1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Gi patches

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by fighting.spirit, Sep 5, 2010.

1. fighting.spirit Yellow Belt

Hahah, awesome kid!

2. 879lexus Blue Belt

3. Title Fight Productions Steel Belt

Thanks!! He takes that stuff pretty serious for some reason. Here he is in his Shamrock shirt after his last no-gi tourny. You can see he is holding up a medal and a sticker from his Sleeper Athletics team.

He had to hold or show both gym's in all his pictures so neither of his trainers would feel left out, lol.

[​IMG]

4. fighting.spirit Yellow Belt

Hahah. Wow, what a cool kid. All the best to him and yourself in the future!

5. joe90210 Blue Belt

I think the bigger issue is does Ribeiro want someone who is not his student misleading people into believing that you represent him or studied under him, I know that Ribeiro's academy is extremely traditional

6. fighting.spirit Yellow Belt

I actually thought that might "work in my favor" [him and his school being traditional, I mean] (I mentioned earlier I wasn't actually going to do this). His patch has a lot of meaning to it [see pic] and more traditional schools, I assume, would appreciate others wanting to represent the values and philosophy they bring to the table.

[​IMG]

If I ever chose to do something like this, I would definitely seek his permission first.

7. RearAndNaked Blue Belt

Bit like having a tattoo, isn't it? I don't bother with patches as not only do I think they look shit, but I don't need to brand myself in order to convey my respect/admiration of/for a certain instructor or team.

8. Senshi Brown Belt

well maybe you would want to ask a higher belt first, cause if you ask the instructor and he says no. then he knows you were going to put another school's patch and will be upset and you'll probably feel like an ass. if the upper belt thinks it wouldn't be the worst idea then ask the instructor and tell him that its not for disrespect but for an all encompassing appreciation for jiu-jitsu and saulo's theories.

i personally don't think it would be too bad, unless your school is a direct opponent of UJJ.

9. Kimuralex Brown Belt

Why would you represent someone or something that you are not associated with?

I respect harvard a lot and I read books on it and it inspired me to graduate from my own university. So should I put a honorable mention of harvard on my resume?

Thats how it sounds dude...

10. keylocke Orange Belt

I wouldn't do it unless you've trained at his school