Gi patches

fighting.spirit

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Is it "okay" to put patches of associations/ schools you don't represent on your gi? For instance, I have never trained under Saulo Ribeiro and I probably never will, but I deeply respect him and his BJJ philosophy. Living in a place where high quality BJJ is not available, I'm very grateful to have his book and instructional to go over and constantly improve from. It would be an honor to put his BJJ patch on my gi (if I could find it).

http://www.wvsrjja.com/RJJ.gif

The same could be said about someone who got you started perhaps, or continually inspires you to train harder. Or maybe you just like the way the damn thing looks and want it on your gi, heh.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I say go for it man. Or lady.

I have three patches on my gi, only one of which is for my school. One is from another school that I have visited multiple times and then a decorative patch. I haven't really gotten any poop for them, they are relatively new, like 5 months, then again the two schools are not geographically close either (no competition.)

In your case I think a Ribeiro patch would be perfectly acceptable as he is a demigod.

Ask your instructor. I personally wouldn't do that, as it it would seem pretty disrespectful unless it's an affiliated organization or something. Just my opinion though.

I wouldn't do it myself.

I wouldn't suggest doing it on any gi that you compete in either. If its just your practice gi, I don't see the harm unless its against the uniform code at your school.

I wouldn't do it as i see it as a slap in the face of your instructor. "yeah, sure, you teach me every day but this dude is sooo cool". It's up to you but that's just how I would feel.

Very disrespectful to your instructor, unless it is one from your "sister" schools, especially if your instructor is from Brazil, they take it very seriously. Same goes for other schools shirts, I train at a Barra school, but I know my instructor is good friends with Renzo, so it would be OK for me to wear a Renzo school shirt into the academy

I have a lot of gis and was considering making one i don't use a sort of "scrapbook gi."

I visit a lot of schools and have learned a lot from different people. It would be nice to have a git that reflects that.

But I wouldn't patch up a gi I wear to class with somebody else's patches.

Seems like one of those things that might not be worth all the fuss. Lots of bjj people are easily offended and take stuff like this seriously

0.jpg

:icon_chee (J/K)

Yeah, I guess I see what you guys are saying. I wouldn't intend any disrespect, though. Like I said, where I live the quality of BJJ is average at best and I've always appreciated the external sources of information that improve my game and understanding of techniques.

Hmm, I have to think about this.

Thanks for sharing, everyone.

buy the patch, you bet. but do something else with it. save it, put it on a gi you wont wear really, back pack, something.

it will be a cool souvenir for you, but i wouldn't suggest training with it.

i have a BOPE patch on one of my training gi's. obiviously i am not in BOPE. and its not even a bjj patch. but i wouldn't wear it on my comp gi and if someone in it asked me to take it off, i would. so i can understand wanting to wear something you think is cool.

just pick the right place and time to do it, because some people do notice things like that and it matters to them. (which means i guess it really depends on how much you care about what other think. but you did ask us...)

just because I respect and admire someone else's game doesn't mean I'm gunna put his stamp on me. The only patches I'll wear are of the people that put some effort into me and its a mutual respect. Plus if you compete people are going to assume your from that team when your not. In my opinion wear your team or sponsors patches or no patches at all.

Patches are used in BJJ as sign/symbol of branding/lineage. It would be misleading to rock a Ribeiro patch if you are not part of their association, especially if you are actively competing in your local area (in that gi). As other posters have pointed out, others may take offense to you wearing the patch, either internally (your school) or externally (greater bjj community).

I agree with other posters that if you wanted to get a patch you could always use it in another fashion (i.e., on a back pack or on a scrapbook gi).

Last edited:
just because I respect and admire someone else's game doesn't mean I'm gunna put his stamp on me. The only patches I'll wear are of the people that put some effort into me and its a mutual respect. Plus if you compete people are going to assume your from that team when your not. In my opinion wear your team or sponsors patches or no patches at all.

I honestly never considered the patch "a stamp". Yes. I mentioned earlier that I have benefited greatly from Ribeiro's book and instructional. He may have not put any effort into me directly (in-person), but the material has certainly helped me tons. It's hard not deeply appreciating this outside material when you know the BJJ instruction you're getting is mediocre.

Does it really matter if they do? That's why I asked. Do you think Saulo would be offended by someone putting his patch on their gi because he inspires their game? Hmm.

I see your point, though.

Funny how everyone seems to be saying its disrespectful to his instructor. I mean i agree 100% with that, but first thing that came to my mind is what happens when he goes to a comp and has Saulo's patch on and is getting beat due to bad technique. I think its would be a bad deal to wear someone's patch in a comp that you don't train with..... If people see a patch on your gi in comp it is highly assumed you not only train with that guy but that you are representing his style and school..........

So yeah, my vote is no.

Patches are used in BJJ as sign/symbol of branding/lineage. It would be misleading to rock a Ribeiro patch if you are not part of their association, especially if you are actively competing in your local area (in that gi). As other posters have pointed out, others may take offense to you wearing the patch, either internally (your school) or externally (greater bjj community).

I agree we other posters that if you wanted to get a patch you could always use it in another fashion (i.e., on a back pack or on a scrapbook gi).

Yes, I see what you're saying. Thanks. The BJJ community should have stronger ties than this. We're all connected, in the end, and we all have similar goals. I barely see how rocking a patch that inspires me should offend anyone. I wear a Manto Alliance and Gracie Barra Rash Guard when training and competing in no-gi. Am I really offending those teams by wearing it? Perhaps i'll wear the GB rash guard when competing against the GB team in the area and see how they feel, hehe.

Last edited:
I have a lot of gis and was considering making one i don't use a sort of "scrapbook gi."

I visit a lot of schools and have learned a lot from different people. It would be nice to have a git that reflects that.

That's a badass idea!!! Patches from all the schools you visit and seminars you do, kinda like an old travel luggage deal!

travelluggage.jpg

Funny how everyone seems to be saying its disrespectful to his instructor. I mean i agree 100% with that, but first thing that came to my mind is what happens when he goes to a comp and has Saulo's patch on and is getting beat due to bad technique. I think its would be a bad deal to wear someone's patch in a comp that you don't train with..... If people see a patch on your gi in comp it is highly assumed you not only train with that guy but that you are representing his style and school..........

So yeah, my vote is no.

Good point.

My son (6yrs old) started his training under Frank Shamrock and has since moved on to a GB BB who has her own school called Sleeper Athletics.

He competes in her schools Gi and wears a Frank Shamrock submission fighting t-shirt under it. Just to honor his roots (seriously, can a 6yr old have roots?). maybe do something like that if you must.

Just to let you guys know, I started this thread for discussion purposes only. I never thought of actually doing it and I haven't a clue where to get a Saulo Ribeiro patch. I've been in the grappling world long enough to know about the tension that exists in the BJJ community.

It certainly would be sweet to rock the Rickson Gracie Jiu Jitsu Association gi patch with the new Shoyoroll Golden State Gi, haha!

ass_form_logo.gif

timthumb.php

Thanks for sharing, all.

Back