Gi Colour

Easto

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Is it odd for a newvie to come into class with a Gi other than white? Possibly blue?

blue/white are fine. It's really upto your instructor if he'll have a problem.

BJJ is less strict then Judo i've found. But my judo club had no problems in me training in a yellow or black gi...

~Foz

white or blue you should have no problem with and if the instructor or anyone gives you a hard time you run out the door and turn back and point and say " all of you will pay" come back in about 5 years after a hiaydus in brazil and tap the hell out of them

White and Blue are the only colors allowed in both my Judo school, and my BJJ school. I say if you haven't bought one yet, go white first, thats just an opinion though, nothing to back up it.:icon_chee

can't go wrong with white. Blue is usually ok, I would ask before shelling out all that cash.

white or blue you should have no problem with and if the instructor or anyone gives you a hard time you run out the door and turn back and point and say " all of you will pay" come back in about 5 years after a hiaydus in brazil and tap the hell out of them

I like your style son.

I always thought beginners in anything but white look retarded. Thats just me.

I don't see it very often but unbleached white looks cool

what i really like in bjj is that dsnt suffer from tradionalist imbecility regarding what colour your gi should be if u are a newbie!

I got a bit of flack when I was invited by a friend to go to her judo club and I wore my blue (and only gi). But I don't think it matters.

I prefer my blue one over my white one cos everyone seems to want to bleed all over the white one

Guys at this class have army green, red, white, blue, and the instructor has purple. Wasn't too sure if it was taboo for a newbie to roll in with a non-white Gi.

"Old School" BJJ academies will only let you wear white or blue. My academy is like that. Rickson's in LA will only let you wear white. Ask your instructor!

Another point is that if you go to another gym to train or contests, sometimes they have rules. I say get a white one, and then later when you go to buy your 2nd gi (bound to happen if you do BJJ long enough) you can get some flashy color.

blue/white are fine. It's really upto your instructor if he'll have a problem.

BJJ is less strict then Judo i've found. But my judo club had no problems in me training in a yellow or black gi...

~Foz

OK, Foz, inquiring minds want to know....

Have you ever actually gone to a BJJ class in a pink gi?

I got a bit of flack when I was invited by a friend to go to her judo club and I wore my blue (and only gi). But I don't think it matters.

I prefer my blue one over my white one cos everyone seems to want to bleed all over the white one

haha thats the best. Thats when you show it to your girlfriend and say in a cool voice, "its not mine". Or show it to your friends and say "if it bleeds we can kill it". :icon_chee

Everyone in my Judo class wears a white or blue gi irregardless of belt color... I wear a blue gi because its less susceptible to stains.

Back