GHOSTBUSTERS (Original and New Cast Unite in Jimmy Kimmel Live)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looks fucking terrible, that's without the obvious feminist/Social Justice Warrior pandering, it just looks bad. The pandering makes it even worse.

Personally, I think they've gone about it the wrong way, and tried too hard to attempt to recreate and modernise, as opposed to evolve, it's 30 years since the original, they can get really creative with the "science" behind it.

If I was writing it, I'd have it where they have to face the backlash that this film is getting "Female Ghostbusters?! What the fuck is this shit, how are these women going to be the Ghostbusters". But they just happen to be the current incarnation, the original, and beloved Ghostbusters have retired or passed away, and there have been others come and go, and these are who we have. They have Government funding to really explore the paranormal and come up with new weaponry etc.

As for the story, they play into the sheer number of "Ghost Hunting" shows that are on TV, parody them. Like have Kristen Wiig watching one of them, and the guy on screen is pissing himself in fear, and she's there, exasperated saying "But there's nothing there!" and she'd be right, there was nothing there, because the shows are actually being used to make people believe that there are no Ghosts, and the Ghostbusters are a fraud, they're being put there by the villain in an effort to overrun the city with ghosts.

So, with these shows making people think that all of this is bullshit, pressure is put on the government to cut their funding, because they're wasting money that needs to go to schools, hospitals and the infrastucture, instead of some hocus pocus Hollywood bullshit that doesn't exist, and the Government have no choice but to cut the funding, the Ghostbusters are not only out of business, but they're a public laughing stock.

They can't get work in the sciences, because who's gonna hire one of those crazy ghost ladies, they can't even leave their house without being laughed at. And that's when the ghosts start to take over, before you know it, the entire city is over run with ghosts, and there's nobody around to deal with them. Then Kristen Wiig looks at the old Ghostbusters website, just as an e-mail is recieved, she opens it saying "Meet me at Ghostbusters HQ, bring the others". As they're waiting around, in walks Dan Aykroyd, and gives them The Rocky Speech, "We didn't have Government Funding when we caught the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, nor did we have Government funding when we brought the Statue of Liberty to life. People thought we were a joke when it first started, until we helped them. I see what's happening, you need to do something about it", instead of all the fancy gadgetry that they had when they had the funding, they restored the original equipment, they used what they had in the lab to create something new, and now here they come, the new Ghostbusters, and they're gonna kick somebody's ass.

But, that's just me, doesn't matter in the end.

I looks fucking terrible, that's without the obvious feminist/Social Justice Warrior pandering, it just looks bad. The pandering makes it even worse.

Personally, I think they've gone about it the wrong way, and tried too hard to attempt to recreate and modernise, as opposed to evolve, it's 30 years since the original, they can get really creative with the "science" behind it.

If I was writing it, I'd have it where they have to face the backlash that this film is getting "Female Ghostbusters?! What the fuck is this shit, how are these women going to be the Ghostbusters". But they just happen to be the current incarnation, the original, and beloved Ghostbusters have retired or passed away, and there have been others come and go, and these are who we have. They have Government funding to really explore the paranormal and come up with new weaponry etc.

As for the story, they play into the sheer number of "Ghost Hunting" shows that are on TV, parody them. Like have Kristen Wiig watching one of them, and the guy on screen is pissing himself in fear, and she's there, exasperated saying "But there's nothing there!" and she'd be right, there was nothing there, because the shows are actually being used to make people believe that there are no Ghosts, and the Ghostbusters are a fraud, they're being put there by the villain in an effort to overrun the city with ghosts.

So, with these shows making people think that all of this is bullshit, pressure is put on the government to cut their funding, because they're wasting money that needs to go to schools, hospitals and the infrastucture, instead of some hocus pocus Hollywood bullshit that doesn't exist, and the Government have no choice but to cut the funding, the Ghostbusters are not only out of business, but they're a public laughing stock.

They can't get work in the sciences, because who's gonna hire one of those crazy ghost ladies, they can't even leave their house without being laughed at. And that's when the ghosts start to take over, before you know it, the entire city is over run with ghosts, and there's nobody around to deal with them. Then Kristen Wiig looks at the old Ghostbusters website, just as an e-mail is recieved, she opens it saying "Meet me at Ghostbusters HQ, bring the others". As they're waiting around, in walks Dan Aykroyd, and gives them The Rocky Speech, "We didn't have Government Funding when we caught the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, nor did we have Government funding when we brought the Statue of Liberty to life. People thought we were a joke when it first started, until we helped them. I see what's happening, you need to do something about it", instead of all the fancy gadgetry that they had when they had the funding, they restored the original equipment, they used what they had in the lab to create something new, and now here they come, the new Ghostbusters, and they're gonna kick somebody's ass.

But, that's just me, doesn't matter in the end.

I like having one of them having an intern trying to ghostbust an Xenomorph, and it's not working. Suddenly, the Xenomorph (Alien movies) spits slime onto and melts the intern to pieces. The fat chick goes "Holy shit! it's an alien!" Then Predator pops up and decapitates the xenomorph but you know that it had kids before it went out.

And then we get Ghostbusters VS Predator

Also cameo of Arnold as a ghost that goes insane and starts trying to kill humans and has to be busted

I like having one of them having an intern trying to ghostbust an Xenomorph, and it's not working. Suddenly, the Xenomorph (Alien movies) spits slime onto and melts the intern to pieces. The fat chick goes "Holy shit! it's an alien!" Then Predator pops up and decapitates the xenomorph but you know that it had kids before it went out.

And then we get Ghostbusters VS Predator

Well, the Alien and the Predator are also in Mortal Kombat... so, obviously, you can include the Mortal Kombat cast in this.

Ghostbusters vs. Aliens vs. Predators vs. Mortal Kombat.

lol

You boys who cry about SJW/feminist pandering are cute.

Humans have been telling gender swapped versions of popular characters and stories since at least the time of the ancient Egyptians.

Yeah, because it's not like there have been calls to change franchises in movies, television, video games, comic books etc by social justice warriors and feminists, not in the slightest.

Ironically enough, the Ghostbusters have been far more diverse, if they made this into a movie, I'd watch the fuck out of it:

Extreme-Ghostbusters-Cast-1.png

Especially if they used the theme song:

Im more annoyed with the cast than the gender. Its basically an SNL skit.

Myself I don't like seeing my favorite childhood movies rebooted. Also the trailer was not funny at all. Its not so much because of the cast gender but more to do with me finding Melissa McCarthy annoying. The only other cast that would make the movie worse would be to have Sandler or KEvin James in it

I hate it because I hate it, not because of women. If it was men I would still hate it.

The plot of this movie is awful. It would be equally unfunny if it was an all male crew.

I hate it cause the trailer felt so forced, cliched, annoying character tropes, and not original at all. I didn't laugh once and found Leslie Jones yelling extremely annoying. Felt like a shitty Sandler movie. I didn't hate it cause it has women. I actually kind of liked Kate McKinnon in it (about the only brief good part of the trailer), but that's it. I thought the trailer was garbage because it's a shitty trailer, nothing to do with gender roles.

SJW contrarian here, and even I think that is fucking stupid.

No, it's not because of the women. It's because it's pointless, and an obvious cash-in on name value. The exact same movie with Dax Shepard and Jamie Foxx as the stars, would be met with the same vitriol.

Maybe folks just don't want this movie remade. Crazy idea, I know.

How many more of these "New take on an old Classic" movies are they going to make?

Shuffling the race, gender, or sexual orientation of an established character doesn't add any depth to the storytelling. When writers do so, it shows an inability to add anything unique or original to the established story

I hate it cause the trailer felt so forced, cliched, annoying character tropes, and not original at all. I didn't laugh once and found Leslie Jones yelling extremely annoying. Felt like a shitty Sandler movie. I didn't hate it cause it has women. I actually kind of liked Kate McKinnon in it (about the only brief good part of the trailer), but that's it. I thought the trailer was garbage because it's a shitty trailer, nothing to do with gender roles.

You know, I actually made that exact comparison in another thread. With the heavy reliance on stereotypes, it really did seem to be drawing from the same well as Sandler's comedy. I hope it does so better than his recent movies.

How does everyone feel about the claim that it's hated because of women though? Is there some reasonable merit to it in general?

How does everyone feel about the claim that it's hated because of women though? Is there some reasonable merit to it in general?
The first three comments are

Feminism is ruining all the classics

This movie is going to crash harder than the world trade centers.

So its not a follow up then? Its just a remake but with girls... That's fucking stupid...

Seems pretty critical of women to me, since they NEEDED to bring it up. The internet is like that though, people bitch about every little change, women being included is no exception.

They should remake the Passion of the Christ with a female lead.

With that said, I think there may be more to the movie than the trailer is putting front and center. It's appealing to the lowest common denominator. So try to read between the lines.
so they purposely made a shitty trailer that currently has a 1:3 ratio for likes:dislikes on youtube?

seems like a bad business decision.

Maybe I'll just convey a breakdown of my thoughts on the trailer:

:33: beautiful image, also the setting (a library) is reminiscent of the first film, and the characters also remind me of the characters from the original

Also, I'll point out that people have been making an issue of "puke jokes." I daresay, have you seen the original film? This is very clearly a throwback to "being slimed." C'mon.

The character also identifies herself as "Erin Gilbert, doctor of particle physics." We have to assume that we are going to get backstories on these characters so this could lend the "intelligence" to the film that many are asking for. Personally, I can just see the scene where she is explaining the science behind ghosts and ectoplasm. (BTW, this is what I meant by reading between the lines.)

:48 - 51: "We've dedicated our whole lives to studying the paranormal." What's the backstory here? This simple moment from the trailer indicates a whole lot of narrative between these characters. I'm getting visions of these girls--either individually or together--gaining an interest in the paranomal and reading books, watching documentaries, perhaps coming together for ghost hunts . . . this is very rich dramatic material!

:54 - 1:07: More backstory! We're learning more about our characters, their backgrounds, who they are, what they know, where they've been.

1:31-1:41: Okay, now we're going to go out in the world and hunt some fucking ghosts! Just like every other entry in the franchise!

1:42-1:48: I like this joke! Pretty funny.

1:49-1:52: That's a good shot!

1:56-1:57: Hey, there's Chris Hemsworth! Cool!

2:02-2:22: Eh, that was kind of funny! Nice throwback to The Exorcist.

As an aside, perhaps I should point out that, as a film student, I often see the basic components of what's on screen. For instance, consider all these special effects shots. I think they're great. I fucking LOVE the shot in the library. Really well done. And some guy (or group of guys, really) had to bust his fucking ass to learn how to do that.
this just reads like someone who is trying to force them self to like/appreciate something rather than someone who actually likes/appreciates something.

sort of like fans of modern art when you can tell there intrigue is forced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blunttruth
Back