Getting the RNC

Bryk

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting the RNC once I have his back against anyone that half-way knows what they are doing. Anyone have any tips for me to get force his chin up and slip my arm underneath it?

turn him on his belly, pull up the top of his head with your forearm. that's my fav way at least

turn him on his belly, pull up the top of his head with your forearm. that's my fav way at least

I try pulling up on his head when I'm on my back and he's on his belly and still no luck. I pull up on the top of his head and crank with my legs via double underhooks. Are there any other subs from this position (no gi)?

Keep the back, go for the RNC. Use one forearm to lift the chin up, and slide the other one in by following the jaw line. Start with the blade of the forearm, and press in deeply while rotating your forearm to create space, rather than just pulling up. Then you slide in the other arm.

Most likely you're a white belt and this won't work for you. But don't give up on the RNC, it takes a lot of work to get good at.

Getting the body triangle first diverts their attention and makes it uncomfortable for them so they try to stop that which gives you more freedom to work your forearm under their chin to lock up the RNC.

I use fourfif's method or I use a forearm drag across his face/jaw/forehead to turn his head to one side. You can also sometimes get the guys chin in the crook of your elbow and pull towards that arms side, opening the neck for you to insert the hand from the opposite side.

You will also find that it is common for some guys to start dropping their chin on your chokes, which isn't really the best defense anyway. Even more likely is you may end up with a choke that is set under the chin and the guy will fight and fight to get his chin down into your choke..and then when he gets his chin in he will complain that your are cranking his jaw. This is always humourous, you know...since they dropped their own jaw into the choke.

I never choke the jaw if my initial position is not under the jaw. If I have a choke under the jaw and they fight to get their jaw in, I will try my best to choke right through it, within limits of course.

Keep the back, go for the RNC. Use one forearm to lift the chin up, and slide the other one in by following the jaw line. Start with the blade of the forearm, and press in deeply while rotating your forearm to create space, rather than just pulling up. Then you slide in the other arm.

Most likely you're a white belt and this won't work for you. But don't give up on the RNC, it takes a lot of work to get good at.

Thanks for the advice ill try it.

Getting the body triangle first diverts their attention and makes it uncomfortable for them so they try to stop that which gives you more freedom to work your forearm under their chin to lock up the RNC.

My legs are really short and I think body triangles are out of the picture. I'm 5'8 but I have a hard time putting people even in a closed guard at times (namely my overweight prof).

My legs are really short and I think body triangles are out of the picture. I'm 5'8 but I have a hard time putting people even in a closed guard at times (namely my overweight prof).

That's okay. Personally I prefer hooks. Body triangle is good for maintaining the back, but you can't move much so it locks you in place. That leaves you with fewer options.

Put your wrist under their nose and pull as hard as you can. Guarantee to raise their head and leave their neck WIDE open.

Put your wrist under their nose and pull as hard as you can. Guarantee to raise their head and leave their neck WIDE open.

My instructor taught me this but he also said it was basically a douche move for rolling. I wouldntt use that in training.

My instructor taught me this but he also said it was basically a douche move for rolling. I wouldntt use that in training.

Yea, but it is a way to get the RNC. By the way, no I don't use it in training, I'm not a dick. I only do it to people who neck crank me.

I find it's very hard to get. It's one of the few moves in BJJ that you don't actually need to know BJJ to understand and defend.

Protecting the neck and getting arms away from it is a survival instinct lol

I find it's very hard to get. It's one of the few moves in BJJ that you don't actually need to know BJJ to understand and defend.

Protecting the neck and getting arms away from it is a survival instinct lol

Everyone who doesn't do BJJ thinks they know how to defend RNC.
They're wrong.
Like it's been stated already in this thread, there are ways to almost guarantee getting the choke, but some are techniques that shouldn't be used while rolling with your training partner.

Everyone who doesn't do BJJ thinks they know how to defend RNC.
They're wrong.
Like it's been stated already in this thread, there are ways to almost guarantee getting the choke, but some are techniques that shouldn't be used while rolling with your training partner.

I've had plenty of people try to crush my face and I can still count on two hands the number of times I've RNCd. If someone has tight defense it's a hard move to set up in a non MMA street fight context. Punches/elbows are the only surfire way I've seen it done.

So basically, I have a choice between going for rnc for a long time or risk losing back control and going for something else?

So basically, I have a choice between going for rnc for a long time or risk losing back control and going for something else?

Pretty much. Which... establishing such a dominant position and learning to hold it is a good fundamental.

Oooh, there's Gerbil's scorpion crusher. That seems lower risk...

I've had plenty of people try to crush my face and I can still count on two hands the number of times I've RNCd. If someone has tight defense it's a hard move to set up in a non MMA street fight context. Punches/elbows are the only surfire way I've seen it done.

Then you haven't been rolling with people who are good at it. When my instructor takes my back, he gets the choke every time.

Back