Getting the RNC

crossface is a popular option...but i don't crossface while rolling since for a crossface to be effective you can't be gentle... usually reserved for tourneys

My favorite option from the back is a bow and arrow choke. I find it is higher percentage than RNC. I have yet to find a good option for nogi from the back beside the arm bar which i don't nail often.

I find that a big part of the solution is arching to spread out your opponent's body before reaching for the choke. Drysdale demonstrates this really well in his DVD's. You could also just choke over their jaw, but it's best to learn the optimum way of choking across the neck.

I'm having the same trouble, but as others have said, it takes a while to get good at RNCs. This is really helpful though, in case you haven't seen it:

I find that a big part of the solution is arching to spread out your opponent's body before reaching for the choke. Drysdale demonstrates this really well in his DVD's. You could also just choke over their jaw, but it's best to learn the optimum way of choking across the neck.

Yeah I could do that but I feel bad doing that. I feel like I'm going to break their jaw.

I'm having the same trouble, but as others have said, it takes a while to get good at RNCs. This is really helpful though, in case you haven't seen it:

Thanks, that was really helpful.

Ok dudes, I really suck at the RNC.

I can get it when I flatten my opponent, though.

But I do have a handful of vids about it though, from personal notes.

Brace yourselves :

Back