Getting stronger

D

Dragon's Heir

What kind of weight training program should I use to build maximum strength?

And I don't care about gaining weight, as long as I'm strong as I can be p4p. I'm trying to be the next Matt Hughes. J/k. :D

That depends on how long you've been training.....but just go on a simple PL program. Bench, squat deadlift and then smaller accessory lifts.

well i am not sure if i am correct but they say do low reps of heavy weight if you want to build strenth, but like dude said above do squats, and bench and stuff

I've lifted weights before, mostly bodybuilding excersises. Gained weight and improved how my body looks. But I'm over that now and I wanna improve my performance in bjj. So I'm just looking to get stronger now p4p. Cuz I wanna stay in my weightclass when i compete. My friend told me to do 5 set of 5 reps to get stronger. He said I'll get strong without addding to much weight. Do wrestlers do Power Lifiting?

As I've said before: it is amazing how many questions can be answered by using the search button and reading the stickies.

Jay M. said:
As I've said before: it is amazing how many questions can be answered by using the search button and reading the stickies.

Ok.

Lift heavy object.

Set heavy object down.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

So does that mean no more calf raises, lunges, leg extensions and curls, biceps curls, and triceps extension. Or any of those type of excercises?

I suppose the best thing for you would be to go to EliteFts and buy one of the GPP manuals for American Football.

This is a combat sport, so max strength is king, really (from an S&C point of view). You're a beginner. So any of those manuals will be great for you.

I'm in the process of acquiring James Smith's High-Low Programming to use to write the workouts for all the guys in my dojo.

Dragon's Heir said:
So does that mean no more calf raises, lunges, leg extensions and curls, biceps curls, and triceps extension. Or any of those type of excercises?
You'll keep calf raises and leg curls, but only to prevent weak points from developing.

Lunges aren't an isolation exercise, so you'll keep those.

Leg extensions, curls, and tricep extensions are all of little use to you now.

Madmick said:
You'll keep calf raises and leg curls, but only to prevent weak points from developing.

Lunges aren't an isolation exercise, so you'll keep those.

Leg extensions, curls, and tricep extensions are all of little use to you now.

Alright, thanks man.

Back