Getting rid of misdemeanors

Lubaolong

RETIRED
@Steel
Reaction score
Did a couple background checks in the last year, and it was pointed out that I apparently have a misdemeanor on my record that I got several years ago that I was completely unaware of. About 3 months after moving to a new state, I was pulled over and given a ticket for having an out of state license plate. Nothing was expired, but I was told I only had 30 days or something after moving to get a local license plate. Ok, whatever. Paid the $140 ticket, got my new plate, and went about my life. Well, apparently this was an M4, which seems completely ridiculous. This effects me in absolutely no way other than peace off mind, but it seems super lame and I want it off my record. How do I get rid of it? Do I have to find a lawyer in the state I was charged? Of course, I've found a lot online resource that want to charge anywhere from $500 to 1500 bucks to get it expunged or sealed, but that seems like a ripoff.

check out your expungement laws . I think you have to go to court or just pay a lawyer. My buddy got his felony dropped to a M and expunged disappeared.

Did a couple background checks in the last year, and it was pointed out that I apparently have a misdemeanor on my record that I got several years ago that I was completely unaware of. About 3 months after moving to a new state, I was pulled over and given a ticket for having an out of state license plate. Nothing was expired, but I was told I only had 30 days or something after moving to get a local license plate. Ok, whatever. Paid the $140 ticket, got my new plate, and went about my life. Well, apparently this was an M4, which seems completely ridiculous. This effects me in absolutely no way other than peace off mind, but it seems super lame and I want it off my record. How do I get rid of it? Do I have to find a lawyer in the state I was charged? Of course, I've found a lot online resource that want to charge anywhere from $500 to 1500 bucks to get it expunged or sealed, but that seems like a ripoff.

Why can't you have a car(plate) from another state? What's the thought behind that, besides extortion?

punch it in the dick.

you have to file a motion with a court to get it expunged. it may have even been a mistake in the process to classify it as a misdemeanor. some states have what's known as "wobblers" or charges that can fluctuate between infraction - misdemeanor - felony depending on how it is charged. and for a ticket, it's highly unlikely any DA reviewed it or they would've filed it as an infraction.

truthfully it's a motion you can write and file yourself. even if you fuck up, a judge will kinda hold your hand through the process. i'd try looking into it yourself - worst thing that happens is you file it, go to court and the judge makes you refile it to correct errors or something. you can't get punished in any way for attempting it, only annoy a particular judge on that day if they are the grumpy type.

Just for your peace of mind it’s never actually gonna go away on a full scale type clearance background check. Maybe for non-government type jobs like the ones Home Depot and the like do but that’s about it. If it’s actually a mistake yeah hire a lawyer.

Effects me in know way = Piece of mind...I don’t get it...maybe I’m tired because I just woke up..

you have to file a motion with a court to get it expunged. it may have even been a mistake in the process to classify it as a misdemeanor. some states have what's known as "wobblers" or charges that can fluctuate between infraction - misdemeanor - felony depending on how it is charged. and for a ticket, it's highly unlikely any DA reviewed it or they would've filed it as an infraction.

truthfully it's a motion you can write and file yourself. even if you fuck up, a judge will kinda hold your hand through the process. i'd try looking into it yourself - worst thing that happens is you file it, go to court and the judge makes you refile it to correct errors or something. you can't get punished in any way for attempting it, only annoy a particular judge on that day if they are the grumpy type.

I don’t live in that state anymore.

How do you get an m4 just for that? Did you have a prior traffic violation withing that year?

Just for your peace of mind it’s never actually gonna go away on a full scale type clearance background check. Maybe for non-government type jobs like the ones Home Depot and the like do but that’s about it. If it’s actually a mistake yeah hire a lawyer.
Ive had several background checks, granted medical licenses in two states, and offered 4 government jobs (one that required a TS clearance) since then. No one ever mentioned it. I only found out because I was doing some volunteer work that required a background check and asked to see the type of report they got.

How do you get an m4 just for that? Did you have a prior traffic violation withing that year?
Nope. Prior to this, I hadn’t had any traffic tickets in almost 20 years.

In my state, it never truly fully goes away. It may go away on some criminal background checks, but it's still there on the court records. They see that you had a misdemeanor and it was expunged. For places that actually search court records rather than just a criminal report, you'll see it. We've seen expunged records before and we honestly treated it the same way as if it wasn't expunged.

Why can't you have a car(plate) from another state? What's the thought behind that, besides extortion?

Illinois which is where I live has a goal to extort as much money as possible from the citizens of the state. IL will even create unconstitutional laws to try and generate extra revenue from tickets.

Back