getting ready for wrestling season

wrestlingpin

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey im 15 and wrestling season is coming up pretty soon. I weight 150 right now but i want to gain ten pounds and wrestle at 165. Im sort of strong for my age and size i max my bench at 215 and i dont have much fat. Whats the best way(different workouts,routines) to get 10 pounds. The ten pounds i want a lot of it to be some more muscle but if i have to ill take some fat.

Surely you want to gain 15 lbs?

Anyway, what is your diet/current weight training routine (if any) like?

wrestlingpin said:
Hey im 15 and wrestling season is coming up pretty soon. I weight 150 right now but i want to gain ten pounds and wrestle at 165. Im sort of strong for my age and size i max my bench at 215 and i dont have much fat. Whats the best way(different workouts,routines) to get 10 pounds. The ten pounds i want a lot of it to be some more muscle but if i have to ill take some fat.

You should wrestle at 145.

wrestle the lighter opponents, dont worry about the big guys now

I always like to wrestle the stronger opponents, and i personally found it better putting on weight than trying to cut into a weight class lower.

Do compound movements like bench press, deadlift, military press and squats with heavy weight while eating a protein sufficient diet, and over the next few months you'll see a lot of strength gains soon after some mass will come, how long have you been lifting, its not unheard of rookie lifters putting on 8 pounds in a month.

go 45's or 40's man, youd be pretty strong at that weight, i didnt know there was a 165 weight class either, 60's, then 71's, which is what i think im gonna go this year

I've been lifting for 2 years. Last year i even did a powerlifting competition

Agento actually im 14 right now but will be 15 in january. Im wrestling for the junior high this year. Lots of people want me to come up to the high school but im not totally sure if i will yet. Yeah if i go to the highschool im wrestling 160. But if i stay down im wrestling 165.

I wouldnt reccomend wrestling 160's in high school as an 8th grader, how many years have you wrestled for?

15 in the eighth grade. Did you stay back twice? I was 13 when I finished the eigth grade. obviously you would dominate someone 1.5 to 2 years younger than you. Step it up and wrestle in hight school. Oh and I would seriously recomend taking the advice of the guys here. If you step it up to HS then I would cut weight. If you are gonna wrestle younger kids then your weight class should not be that big of an issue.

i'll add my voice to the chorus of calling for you to cut weight, not add it. if you're a pumped up 165, you'll be wrestling guys who've cut a good 10 lbs. this is not to your advantage.

Sorry i forget to add the fact my junior high is 7th grade, 8th grade, and 9th grade, then high school is 10th, 11th grade. and 12th grade

OK, good deal. That helps clearify things. GL!!! I still think you would be better off cutting weight. If you think you can hang with the bigger guys then listen to what BABy Phenom said. Good luck man!

Back