Getting combos off

Rinksterk**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have trouble hitting a combination of more than 2-3 punches in sparring. I'm short guy with even shorter arms for my height. Whenever I throw a combination, for example a 1-2-left hook head-lefthook body, I would hit my partner with the jab and the cross with maybe the left hook, but by the time I throw the fourth punch, he's out of range because he obviously moves out of the way. So I always throw 2 or 3 punches then I'll miss. Unless the guy's an infighter who comes at me but for some reason most of the guys I spar are boxers.

This happens particularly with body punches. I find it harder to move while throwing body punches since I have to bend my legs to lower elevation. It is harder to throw punches while moving your feet at the same time anyway. The only way I can get off longer combos is when I have my opponent on the ropes. I also have a habit of not throwing because I don't think the punch is gonna land.

After pondering I figure I have work on:
Foot work: I need to step in more to compensate for my short arms and my opponent moving out of the way.
Hand speed: Fast punches can hit the guy before he can move out of the way.
Bigger combos: The more I punch the more I have a chance of hitting something.

Now, the question is, how to work this shit? That's my question. Any suggestions?

There are a couple things I am currently working on.
There are a few very small and light weight heavybags at my gym. These things go flying everywhere after you graze it a few times so you have to chase it around. I'm working on this bad more because it makes me keep moving my feet. I'm practicing hitting it while moving and its hard as hell because my shorts arms miss so much.
When working the heavy bag or shadowboxing, I practice endless combinations. Combinations that have 10 or more punches. I'll sometimes try to punch the bag for a whole round without a break in the combo. I'm hoping this will supply me with more firepower. I'm also working on throwing as fast as I can to give myself of throwing fast.

Oh yeah by the way, this is boxing.

like what you said earlier, you can get off longer combos while the guy is on the ropes. why don't you practice cutting off the ring so that when your opponent tries to escape the onslaught, they will have less room to run. don't try to fight in the center if you think you're not mobile enough to keep up with your opponent.

also, why don't you work on your killer instinct. if you feel like you're in range then just throw your punches. don't over analyze situations because your opponents will be a second ahead of you. just try something out and if it fails then do your best to adjust.

Reink - my most routine sparring partner is shorter than me, with shorter reach, and all he does is throw throw throw. It makes it monumentally difficult to simply box him, because the kid'll throw for 3 straight minutes and has very good cardio, as well as a chin. So even if I crack him, he usually just gets motivated to throw more.

BUT, what our trainer is arming him with is the ability to step forward with his punches. He does it so much sometimes he smothers himself and is having to un-learn it sometimes (throwing a jab without stepping to set up a long cross). But when he DOES step he closes distance quick, and can get off two or three before I counter, after the initial two or three, he'll throw WHILE I'm countering.

You don't have to punch in volleys, you can throw while your opponent is throwing, especially if you're coming in while you do it. You'll be inside the rangier fighter's reach. And if he can't shorten his own punches, you won't get hit.

Also, why does your combination have to just be 1-2-3? Jab-uppercut-hook-right hand. Jab-jab-right hand-hook-uppercut-hook-right hand. These combinations work well, especially if you can move at angles. Uppercuts will split a taller guy's guard nice if he doesn't know how to defend them, and his head will come up for the right hand or the hook. You can also throw shovel uppercuts to the body to bring him down for the hook high. Double and triple jabs serve to get a guy to move a certain way or compromise his defense, and they'll turn a 1-2-3 into a 1-1-1-2-3.

But, the bottom-line is you have to be able to do this under-pressure, in the ring.

Foot work foot work foot work!

Agility drills and sprints to close the distance faster. Follow his jab back to him to get in range or feint to get him to cover up then charge in.

You dont have to go head body, you can go body head or body body. You can also try shortening up your combos on the inside instead of a four hit go for a two hit.

Oh and remember to step in with your jab not with your power punches, if you step in with your power punches youll be off balance and wont be able to follow when your opponent circles.

Reink - my most routine sparring partner is shorter than me, with shorter reach, and all he does is throw throw throw. It makes it monumentally difficult to simply box him, because the kid'll throw for 3 straight minutes and has very good cardio, as well as a chin. So even if I crack him, he usually just gets motivated to throw more.

BUT, what our trainer is arming him with is the ability to step forward with his punches. He does it so much sometimes he smothers himself and is having to un-learn it sometimes (throwing a jab without stepping to set up a long cross). But when he DOES step he closes distance quick, and can get off two or three before I counter, after the initial two or three, he'll throw WHILE I'm countering.

You don't have to punch in volleys, you can throw while your opponent is throwing, especially if you're coming in while you do it. You'll be inside the rangier fighter's reach. And if he can't shorten his own punches, you won't get hit.

Also, why does your combination have to just be 1-2-3? Jab-uppercut-hook-right hand. Jab-jab-right hand-hook-uppercut-hook-right hand. These combinations work well, especially if you can move at angles. Uppercuts will split a taller guy's guard nice if he doesn't know how to defend them, and his head will come up for the right hand or the hook. You can also throw shovel uppercuts to the body to bring him down for the hook high. Double and triple jabs serve to get a guy to move a certain way or compromise his defense, and they'll turn a 1-2-3 into a 1-1-1-2-3.

But, the bottom-line is you have to be able to do this under-pressure, in the ring.

Good shit. Thanks.

As I understand it (I've trained some boxing but I'm no expert), you're in range and your partner moves away before you've finished your combo. Maybe when he steps out of range in mid combo, you could close the gap again (maybe move forward if stepping is too awkward) and start another one.

Make sure you mix up low and high shots. That way, you can get in more punches. If you're always headhunting, you'll be too predictable and won't be able to get too many punches in. There is an old expression "If you kill the body, the head will die". Just something to keep in mind.

If you want to fight inside the pocket with your sparring partner there are a few little things you can do to improve your chances. One is shucking them with your lead shoulder, pushing them on the ropes, and then going for like, 3, 4, 3, right hook, ect.

Cutting off the ring, (if your sparring in a ring) is a great thing too. Typically, if the guys any good he will circle out of the ropes, but if you are trying to go for that specific inside style boxing, keeping your chin down, smothering, then pushing off and hitting combos is a decent route to go.

You'll probably take a bit of punishment going this route, but from what it sounds like to me, your trying to be an in-fighter.

I always threw the combination with the goal of hitting the guy just once and viewed any subsequent punches landed as "gravy." Yeah, I was never that efficient.

Shorter guys use their footwork to stay close. Step forward as you combo. If he gets too far away, or tries to circle away, throw a body kick. Thats what I do against tall guys - step in, step out very fast, get him to chase me, then get too close and throw hooks and uppers.

It would be nice to have a video to show us. It's easy to just say footwork" or "cut corners, create angles."

lol Every time someone in our Gym grabs too much we yell "NO MMA!!""

lol Every time someone in our Gym grabs too much we yell "NO MMA!!""

the street fighting ring of onlookers are the best. Right when someone hits the floor and they both start to attempt a sad display of wrestling you automatically hear "HEY NAW FUCK THAT WRESTLING SHIT! NAW LET HIM GO! FUCK THAT GAY SHIT!" Heard it so many times in RL and youtube videos.

When i got in a scrap in highschool, and all i knew was wrestling, i bodylocked and tripped the guy and gave him a pounding. Face was all messed up. And later i hear him claiming it wasnt a real fight because i tripped him onto the floor.

:rolleyes: Grappling gets no respect LOL.

Time him off the punch.

Hard to explain.

but the last punch he lands on you time him off of it and you'll know where he's going. All boxers/fighters time off of when they land last whether they think so or not. Time him off that last hit and see how he sets up.

Sounds odd, I know. but trust me. When you do it long enough? It's predictable.

I think why people dont understand about timing off the punch is the falsehood in their head that they'll never get hit. You should always know you're going to get hit and hit often. No amount of training or being around fighting can stop that.

It's how you time off the hit.

In fact VERY predictable the timing. It isnt the combination, but the timing.

Preaching to the choir my friend. I'm a counter-puncher by nature.

the street fighting ring of onlookers are the best. Right when someone hits the floor and they both start to attempt a sad display of wrestling you automatically hear "HEY NAW FUCK THAT WRESTLING SHIT! NAW LET HIM GO! FUCK THAT GAY SHIT!" Heard it so many times in RL and youtube videos.

When i got in a scrap in highschool, and all i knew was wrestling, i bodylocked and tripped the guy and gave him a pounding. Face was all messed up. And later i hear him claiming it wasnt a real fight because i tripped him onto the floor.

Grappling gets no respect LOL.

Yeah but this is a reputable Boxing Gym with reputable Boxers (and even some MMA guys on occasion, or kickboxers) making fun of all that.

The worst is when I go in to throw a 4 punch combo and land none. LOL. Throw a couple 0/4 combos and suddenly I'm gassed.

AHA, alright maybe i dont have quite THAT bad of aim. I can at least make contact with my jab. So i guess im 1 in 4 :icon_chee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back