Getting caught in Thai Clinch.

A cross face--is just like the name implies--you use your hand and forearm ACROSS the face, and typically at an angle (meaning it's not done straight on like a palm strike). At least that's the way I learned it in high school way back when.

In Muay thai, both the palms and the shin press straight forward on the face or the hips (respectively).

lol..its still a cross face..whether your using both palms across his face..or the fore arm..its still an appendage going across his face...and i wouldn't pick a leg up to block knees..good way to get thrown pretty easy

lol..its still a cross face..whether your using both palms across his face..or the fore arm..its still an appendage going across his face...and i wouldn't pick a leg up to block knees..good way to get thrown pretty easy

You've misread. One is a push, one is going across the face (i.e. in my opinion not the same thing). That'd be the same as saying that a cross is the same as a hook. The knee going across the hips is not to block knees, it's to separate from the clinch (and you can't throw a knee when you can't move your hips or thighs)...but you're right in that it leaves you on one leg and susceptible to getting thrown.

I'm surprised that you hadn't learned this if you study MT.

Bobbing and weaving is maybe the thing I love the most about boxing. Unfortunately it dosen't translated well to anyting that has a clinch or leg strikes, wich means pretty much everything else.

You've misread. One is a push, one is going across the face (i.e. in my opinion not the same thing). That'd be the same as saying that a cross is the same as a hook. The knee going across the hips is not to block knees, it's to separate from the clinch (and you can't throw a knee when you can't move your hips or thighs)...but you're right in that it leaves you on one leg and susceptible to getting thrown.

I'm surprised that you hadn't learned this if you study MT.

The correct thing to do is cross face while moving toward your opponent..getting his arms extended lets you work in for your clinch or forcing him against the ropes getting in close so he cannot throw knees or elbows

Your describing a cross face..sorry..but you are.."pushing the face" away..is a cross face genius..and putting your leg up to seperate from a clinch will land you on your ass every time..you should ACTUALLY train mT before you comment on it

I understand what you believe a cross face to be, but the simple fact that you're not understanding is that I've wrestled and have studied MT for longer than you've probably been alive. They are different entities. If you want to call them the same thing so be it--doesn't change anything.

There are actually a number of things you can do against the full clinch, you can swim to regain a more neutral position, you can go for underhooks to get a closer tie up, or you can separate by pressing the palms straight on the face (making your arms completely straight in the process) and follow with a knee; or you can cross face by bringing your forearm across his face (making him turn his head and press it back) to drive him back...so there are lot's of things.

You can even ::gasp:: use your leg to drive his hips back as a means of eliminating the threat of knees and hopefully get him to release the clinch (I'd rather get tossed than eat knees if all else fails).

So the facts are there, regardless of whether or not you want to see them. But go ahead and keep talking, it's the internet after all. You want to be the internet tough guy who's always right...I personally don't care.

I understand what you believe a cross face to be, but the simple fact that you're not understanding is that I've wrestled and have studied MT for longer than you've probably been alive. They are different entities. If you want to call them the same thing so be it--doesn't change anything.

There are actually a number of things you can do against the full clinch, you can swim to regain a more neutral position, you can go for underhooks to get a closer tie up, or you can separate by pressing the palms straight on the face (making your arms completely straight in the process) and follow with a knee; or you can cross face by bringing your forearm across his face (making him turn his head and press it back) to drive him back...so there are lot's of things.

You can even ::gasp:: use your leg to drive his hips back as a means of eliminating the threat of knees and hopefully get him to release the clinch (I'd rather get tossed than eat knees if all else fails).

So the facts are there, regardless of whether or not you want to see them. But go ahead and keep talking, it's the internet after all. You want to be the internet tough guy who's always right...I personally don't care.

So basically your reposting the same thing I post and calling me wrong? Your a complete idiot...Ive trained in Thailand several times at Kaewsamrit...Fairtex, and Jitti...please don't try to impress me..it won't work

Is english your second language? Because you have a very hard time reading. I reiterated and elaborated on what I've said all along...except this time explaining in a bit more detail the difference between a cross face and straight arm press so that you could perhaps see what I'm talking about with the issue you seem to have with it. I've changed nothing of what I've said.

"oooh I've trained for 1 month in thailand....oooh it's still a cross face....ooohh you're just trying to make me like you oohhh...." lol.

Keep talking tough guy. Everyone is here to please only you. I'm laughing at the fact that you actually believe that. The world revolves around your internet presence...give me a break.

Is english your second language? Because you have a very hard time reading. I reiterated and elaborated on what I've said all along...except this time explaining in a bit more detail the difference between a cross face and straight arm press so that you could perhaps see what I'm talking about with the issue you seem to have with it. I've changed nothing of what I've said.

"oooh I've trained for 1 month in thailand....oooh it's still a cross face....ooohh you're just trying to make me like you oohhh...." lol.

Keep talking tough guy. Everyone is here to please only you. I'm laughing at the fact that you actually believe that. The world revolves around your internet presence...give me a break.

You say something stupid then get offended when i point out your stupidity? You come on here trying to tell me how long you've trained and expect me to be super impressed and bow at your keyboard toughness? you described a cross face and you were too stupid to realize it was a cross face whether you put your hands or your forearm ACROSS YOUR OPPONENTS face its doing the same thing you jizz sock

You say something stupid then get offended when i point out your stupidity? You come on here trying to tell me how long you've trained and expect me to be super impressed and bow at your keyboard toughness? you described a cross face and you were too stupid to realize it was a cross face whether you put your hands or your forearm ACROSS YOUR OPPONENTS face its doing the same thing you jizz sock

The same could be said about your stupid argument on sematics (that means you understand a word to mean something different than I do). You tell everyone that you trained in thailand as if that's supposed to make your knowledge on wrestling vocabulary any better? Oh and btw...something you still haven't gotten, once is across the face...the other is straight on. Therein lies the difference. Take a look in the mirror...who's getting butthurt about all this really? The is the last post I'll make on this subject because you're not going to let it go otherwise.

Hopefully others can read better engrish than you.

The same could be said about your stupid argument on sematics (that means you understand a word to mean something different than I do). You tell everyone that you trained in thailand as if that's supposed to make your knowledge on wrestling vocabulary any better? Oh and btw...something you still haven't gotten, once is across the face...the other is straight on. Therein lies the difference. Take a look in the mirror...who's getting butthurt about all this really? The is the last post I'll make on this subject because you're not going to let it go otherwise.

Hopefully others can read better engrish than you.

Irony...funny how you pointed out how youve "been training mT since before i was born" then your panties get in your ass when someone here points out where they trained...

And where is the difference...You pointed out you use both hands to THE FACE..I pointed out you should use your forearm ACROSS THE FACE leaving your other arm free to pummel in.

lol, i am glad we aren't getting bogged down with semantics. for my 2 cents placing one hand or forearm on the chin and pushing away was the first technique I learned. and it is still the most effective. swimming (elbow from outside to inside and down or a uppercut motion from the inside) can be used to reverse the clinch, but with gloves it is difficult to pull off.

lol, i am glad we aren't getting bogged down with semantics. for my 2 cents placing one hand or forearm on the chin and pushing away was the first technique I learned. and it is still the most effective. swimming (elbow from outside to inside and down or a uppercut motion from the inside) can be used to reverse the clinch, but with gloves it is difficult to pull off.

Pretty much

Hey..tomato..tomaato

There are many variations to this. You can push with both hands, push with one, push with one and pummel in, push with one and peal their other hand off, push with one and elbow up the middle...on and on and on...

If you asked 10 different trainers in trainers in Thailand, I bet you would get 10 different variations...

RJ powell, dont make assumptions.
I dont call it the plum because i want to sound knowledgable, I call it that because I speak Thai and train in thailand.
why make a comment like that anyway, what are trying to achieve.

^ lol chill out man, if you have watched the UFC PPV w/ anderson silva you would have understood, and laughed. Rogan was going nuts about the "plum" and talking about it like it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Don't take it personally. You can't live your life taking everything personally. lol.

Sorry if i hurt your feelings or something :icon_chee

no harm done but now you mention it i did see rogan saying that.LOL.
has he practiced Muay thai.

Back