Getting caught in Thai Clinch.

the internet is no place to master the plum

LOL @ the people calling it the "plum" to sound knowledgable.

You all know full well you just heard Joe Rogan say this on a UFC event and are basically parotting him.

^_^

Rogan is the man. "HE JUST PUT HIM IN A RAPE CHOKE".

Pure gold.

As far as the original question goes as a kickboxer you wanna block the punches or slip with an immediate counter. Too much bobbing and weaving leaves you vunerable to knees......

As far as improving your defense to the thai clinch............train.......and then train harder. you have absolutely got to master your craft

Hey richard smith. have you trained in bobbing and weaving at one point just to get the skill down? I mean it could come in handy in a kickboxing match when you are in a really bad situation.

But i agree, it is rarely useful, but there are those instances.

Oh and sorry to pry so much, but i am really inspired/interested in the life of fighters.

When did you first start martial arts? And since when have you been training seriously for fighting?

thanks alot.

If in a tight clinch: hug him with one arm so that no space is left between you, take the opposite arm and push his tricep over your head and hook to the body or push him away.

If in a loose clinch: Push his chin in to oblivion while pinning his arm with your opposite arm and deliver your own knee.

Whats the fastest way to break the clinch? Duck/spin out of it? Just wondering as I havent sparred a MT guy before.

thats the last thing you wanna do!!!! head up, chin down. cross face and pummel in.... not as easy as it sounds... but the the last thing you ever wanna do is duck and try to turn your head out. never mind last thing... you never wanna do that!

i had the similiar problem. i have a boxing background but have trained with several thai boxers. i would agree with moving your feet to get in and out of range when needed. not only that but relying on head movement and perrying punches with your hands so that your head is not in compromising positions for the clinch.

Zambidis truly is made of Iron though...even in this clip he gets tooled by a native thai fighter Buakaw, and just keeps on going like a damn energizer bunny.

Check it out: YouTube - Mike Zambidis vs Bukaw Por.Prumak

Please note that I've never sparred a MT person, nor have I seen a MT match irl, just on TV. AKA- I'm a MT noob here, so be informative. :)

So when the MT guy has you in clinch, what stoped the person from simply uppercutting the MT fighter to break away? It looks like both fighters are really close when they put someone in the clinch.

I believe when you have some body in the MT clinch you should put your head beside theirs as if both your ears meet? I am probably wrong but that would be a safer method if I'm not mistaken.

My advice?

Fights always end up in a clinch, even boxing, so get real good at the Thai clinch.

How has no one in this thread mentioned cross facing? Its the first and easiest way to defend the plum

I had a guy cross face me, and his liver ended up where his kidney was.

That shit doesn't work.

It's kind of like a crossface when you're in someone's guard.

Do you have any video of this?

Unfortunately no. I've got an old smoker where I kneed the guy after getting rocked and half of his body compacted and he ended up falling onto the ropes like Quinton did with Wand. I've slow motioned that so many times.

Not that he's bossy...just that he doesn't believe you. I do'nt think it's hard to give someone a good knee while being crossfaced--espcially if the guy's not good at it.

There are so many variables that can change the outcome of a fight it's not even funny. Even textbook defenses don't work all the time if done even slightly off.

Back