Social George Orwell's Estate goes WOKE!

I was expecting you would say that. The New Star Wars weren't a success. I had seen the numbers.

Ok Progressive.

What's woke about them?

The Force Awakens is the 4th highest grossing movie of all time. What numbers are you looking at lol?

What's woke about them?

The Force Awakens is the 4th highest grossing movie of all time. What numbers are you looking at lol?
What's woke about them?
If you haven't being paying attention its pointless explaining. Star Wars The High Republic is a great example of this woke nonsense.

Unless you prefer to see a rock as a navigator in a story.

As for the subject matter itself, who cares.

As for the larger theme - it's extremely disappointing that we have this subset of the population who get agitated every time an old story gets told a new way to appeal to a new audience.

I chuckle at the idea of ancient Mesopotamians losing their shit because ancient Hebrews took their flood story and made the main character Noah. Or the Greeks flipping out because the Romans took their myths.

I get the sense of hierarchical loss that comes when a story is retold to identify with someone else. Now, the story no longer identifies with the old group and they feel they've had something taken from them...I still think it's disappointing that anyone thinks it's thread worthy.
I don't think anyone would really complain if the story of 1984 was taken and rewritten if in doing so, they didn't merely screw with existing characters but rather actually really retold the story using new ones. For instance, if the story was told with completely different characters within the same setting or same theme but different setting containing similar elements. Much like bringing a Shakespeare to a modern setting, etc.

People might not even mind expanding on the existing narrative. IE What happened to them both AFTER the original story.

Seems a little redundant to retell 1984 in 2021.
Should have written a sequel - I'd like to know what comes next.

Either way, I doubt Sandra Newman has penned a work that will truly "stand alongside the original".

Seems a little redundant to retell 1984 in 2021.
Should have written a sequel - I'd like to know what comes next.

Either way, I doubt Sandra Newman has penned a work that will truly "stand alongside the original".
Which is the worry will the rewritten 84 be more politically aligned? 1984 wasn't politically it was a like a warning. I dont think think the re written version will capture that.

I am sure those a very few dont mind woke books wouldn't mind it.

"The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became the truth." - George Orwell

Imagine that part is going to get changed to. This is why i do like not the new one. It will try to change a number of in famous quotes.

This is why its woke.

Last edited:
George Orwell should've written a new book called 2021

I don't think anyone would really complain if the story of 1984 was taken and rewritten if in doing so, they didn't merely screw with existing characters but rather actually really retold the story using new ones. For instance, if the story was told with completely different characters within the same setting or same theme but different setting containing similar elements. Much like bringing a Shakespeare to a modern setting, etc.

People might not even mind expanding on the existing narrative. IE What happened to them both AFTER the original story.
I don't think anyone would complain period if they weren't all hyper-primed to get upset over everything. EVen if all they did was change the race or gender of the main character, I'd consider it insignificant. The only time I think it's worth talking about is if they changed the story but kept the attribution the same. Such as changing the race or gender but pretending that it's still the work of the original creator. In this case, that would mean selling 1984 books under the name of Orwell with no way of knowing that something has been changed.

You see this in books that are based on a movie when the movie was based on a book. They never try to pretend that the book based on the movie is the same as the book the movie was based on.

The only example that springs to mind is Romeo and Juliet. They once packaged a book that included the screenplay as book and the original play. I would be upset if they tried to imply that the narrative based on the movie was actually the work of Shakespeare. So long as they call it an adaptation or a reimagining or something similar, I can't see getting upset about it.

Which is the worry will the rewritten 84 be more politically aligned? 1984 wasn't politically it was a like a warning. I dont think think the re written version will capture that.

I am sure those a very few dont mind woke books wouldn't mind it.

Yeah, I very much doubt it'll come close to capturing the original. If she had that ability, she'd have a significant career outside of this money-grab.
It's also a thing with all remakes though - they're being remade in a world for which the originals were never written. So, they can rarely be more than poor imitations.

Sandra Newman's not exactly a notable author with a lengthy track record of critical success. And George Orwell's estate is notoriously sticky about clamping down on anything that vaguely resembles copyright infringement - so, I think this is just a deal between a money-grubbing estate (feeding off the name of a man who believed that a writer should never have too much money) and an attention-seeking author banking on the free publicity of a female 1984.

I glanced at her wiki, and this isn't the first time she's written this sort of thing:

Her fourth novel, The Heavens (2019), published by Grove Atlantic, tells the story of a woman who lives in the early twenty-first century, but who returns every night in dreams to Elizabethan England, where she lives as Emilia Lanier, a Jewish poet whose circle of acquaintances includes an obscure poet named William Shakespeare.[6] The New York Times Book Review called it “a strange and beautiful hybrid.”[7]

And, the description of this book makes it sound like she's already attempted her own version of 1984:

Newman's third novel, The Country of Ice Cream Star (2014), was among eighty titles nominated for 2015 Folio Prize,[4] and among twenty works nominated for the 2015 Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction.[5] The novel follows the protagonist, Ice Cream Fifteen Star, through a dystopian future United States while she searches for a cure for her brother's inherited disease.[5]

I might be overly optimistic, but I honestly think she's likely written a 'meh' novel that'll be forgotten quickly.
On the other hand, Fifty Shades of Grey was the fastest-selling paperback of all time, and that was Twilight fan fiction. If that wasn't a sign of the end-times, I don't know what is.

Imagine that part is going to get changed to. This is why i do like not the new one. It will try to change a number of in famous quotes.

This is why its woke.
Did you have a stroke?

What's woke about them?

They pushed a silly Mary Sue to the front (because womyn am invincible and the force is female), and they treated Han and Luke pretty spitefully.
This could be overlooked as just bad writing (because the sequel trilogy, however much money it made, was a production nightmare and wasn't the most coherent piece of storytelling). But, I mean, the feminist angle was pushed pretty heavily, and Kathleen Kennedy didn't exactly veer out of the way of that perception.

nTuzP6VtaK-5Z1jgFNM0aJ21eXwV6rC7-qGNmHKp6Bc.jpg

If not for the Mandalorian, the trilogy might have destroyed the franchise. Solo sank like a rock, and future projects were in an uncertain place for a while. The trilogy was a blockbuster success in North America, for sure... but it did hurt the franchise.

I did not even get past the first paragraph.
From the point of view of Julia? Sounds interesting.

*Edit. I like the concept. Hopefully, Hollywood doesn't fuck it up.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone would complain period if they weren't all hyper-primed to get upset over everything.
They made the movie Pride, Prejudice & Zombies not that long ago. I didn't see many people freaking out about that. I think 1984 is a touchy subject although most people haven't read it.

That's one of the biggest problems our society faces. Too many people on both sides of the alley love to cry wolf. It rapidly loses credibility.

What's gonna change? Does she whine about being on the rag the whole story?

They pushed a silly Mary Sue to the front (because womyn am invincible and the force is female), and they treated Han and Luke pretty spitefully.
This could be overlooked as just bad writing (because the sequel trilogy, however much money it made, was a production nightmare and wasn't the most coherent piece of storytelling). But, I mean, the feminist angle was pushed pretty heavily, and Kathleen Kennedy didn't exactly veer out of the way of that perception.

nTuzP6VtaK-5Z1jgFNM0aJ21eXwV6rC7-qGNmHKp6Bc.jpg

If not for the Mandalorian, the trilogy might have destroyed the franchise. Solo sank like a rock, and future projects were in an uncertain place for a while. The trilogy was a blockbuster success in North America, for sure... but it did hurt the franchise.

Fair enough, I've only seen the first of the new trilogy which I didn't think that was woke, but thanks for taking the time to explain it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back