• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social George Floyd statue unveiled at Newark City Hall in New Jersey weighs 700 pounds

I'm more interested in the weight of the statue then why it is in existence. I understand the symbolism, no matter how misplaced the martyrdom, but the 317.5 kilos must have hidden meaning, right? Why 700 lbs vs 700 kilos? Yes, this is an African vs European Swallow type of a conundrum.

I suppose symbols fall ass first into the zeitgeist and aren't necessarily important because of worthiness.

I dont see why having a criminal record would disqualify a statue for him

Ofcourse being in prison doesnt disqualify you from being a great inspiring person deserving of a statue, like Nelson Mandela for example...

But this Floyd dude served 8 jail terms, broke into peoples homes, complete drug addict, and then a dumb cop makes a mistake and kills him, and that makes him a hero, statues are made, folks putting flowers, half a nation crying, has his own MEMORIAL DAY?!?!?!?

Dude was in prison 8 times.... How the fuck do you go to jail 8 times?

Ofcourse being in prison doesnt disqualify you from being a great inspiring person deserving of a statue, like Nelson Mandela for example...

But this Floyd dude served 8 jail terms, broke into peoples homes, complete drug addict, and then a dumb cop makes a mistake and kills him, and that makes him a hero, statues are made, folks putting flowers, half a nation crying, has his own MEMORIAL DAY?!?!?!?

Dude was in prison 8 times.... How the fuck do you go to jail 8 times?
It's really embarrassing that you think people were protesting over the GF murder because a good man got killed.

Last edited:
the 700 pound statue is the one wearing red?
newFile-3.jpg

Can’t wait to visit it next year. Hopefully George Floyd elementary will be built by then too.
It will be next to Daniel Shaver library. Wait nvm… he was innocent, did nothing wrong, had no violent history and the cop that murdered him still gets paid…. Oh that cute white privilege

A society that makes saints out of criminals, is a society heading down the toilet.

A statue for a career criminal and a violent man. Shake my fucking head.

It's well done, better than that GSP statue.

Not sure why he has a statue he didn't do anything good, just was on the receiving end of wrong stuff.

So many more deserving black people to have a statue made...

Thank you left... Progression is really helping this country move the right way you can see it

He was straight up murdered but this hero worshipping of him is ridiculous. He was a thug with a long history of violent criminal behaviour. Innocent people - young kids - get murdered every day.
You don't suddenly become a saint because someone murders you.

How are they going to stop racist pigeons from shitting on the statue and defiling his memory with their white supremacy?

The artist did a good job. No question about that.

As I rolled into the hood of Newark today my gaze feel upon a prostitute scurrying through the morning light waving to potential suitors throttling by on Frelinghuysen Ave, I do my best to look away but as always Newark smacks you in the face with reality whether you like it or not. I can tell you nothing changed since this statue was erected and nothing ever will. Mayors come and go and nothing ever changes here.

Another typical morning in the hood.

Floyd was a shit head , but did not deserve to die, nor deserves a statue.

That said the artist did a good job with the statue. If I ever wanted a statue of myself, I would call the artist and discuss prices.

I dont see why having a criminal record would disqualify a statue for him
It doesn't. Floyd has never done anything but be a criminal. He never did a single positive thing in his entire life. He was a woman-beating, deadbeat dad junkie. He robbed a pregnant woman. If you want to dedicate statues to BLM or social justice/civil rights, then you should build statues to people out there actually out there making the positive change.

Back