General Sub skills

R

richieb19

Hey guys this is my first post in grappling so take it easy on me...

Im training with my buddy right now who has a black belt in Karate, ive been showing him some ground skills that ive addapted over time, im fairly knowledgable for someone whos never taken any classes...just thought id ask you guys here what would be a list of all of the submissions that i should know how to attempt

There are many submissions I consider beginner moves (and since I consider myself a beginner, these constitute 70% of the subs I know). Here's the first lock flow I learned:

From Side Mount: Kimura, straight arm-lock, wrist-lock, americana, americana-with-head, americana-with-head-and-opposite-grip. Then to Scarf Hold: arm-lock, wrist-lock, kimura-with-leg, straight-arm-lock-with-leg, americana-with-leg. Then to beside the person's head: wrist-lock, telephone-lock, arm-triangle. Then to North-South: wrist-lock, Kimura, armbar, head-sissor

I may not have those terms quite correct. Here are some othes: From mount, you should know how go get baseball and push-up chokes, armbar, triangle choke, and neck crank. From back-mount, you should understand the rear-naked choke and armbar at least. Against a turtled opponent you should also know clock chokes. From Guard, you should know how to get a Kimura, armbar, triangle, arm-triangle, and omoplata. You should also know how to flow between them just like the first lock flow.

However, the most useful skills to know are how to transition from position to position. Sweeps, passes, throws, takedowns, escapes, reversals.... They are the foundation you need before you can start hurting the other guy. Position before submission... is the saying.

richieb19 said:
im fairly knowledgable for someone whos never taken any classes...
thats what all the guys say but still your "knowledge" isnt enough to teach your buddy who knows even less...i would say its about time fro you to finaly take some classes

ok...if you want a handfull of high percentage submissions...the guy before me has done a good job but offered too much for a beginner...try the following

sidemount: kimura. sidechoke
mount: straight armbar
backmount: rear naked, armbar
guard: armbar, triangle, kimura

you will be buisy enough to get these right but dont froget to train your sweeps and tansitions even more...movement can open a lot of posibilities for you when there seems to be no submission at hand in a vertain position

good luck and dont forget...take some classes

Dude dont show subs if youve never trained them by taking classes I garuntee that 50% of the details are missing because your just watching from TV. Trust me I was "knowledgable" when I started training BJJ so yeah I picked up on things like the rear naked and armbar and stuff easier, But if your looking at things like the Kilock(sp?) or the triangle I gaurantee your missing a few details if you were to do things like the Keylock or the omoplata wrong you could really hurt your friends DO NOT THINK YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DONT.

u need classes bud. believe me u are not channeling the spirit of count koma everytime u roll with your inexperienced pal. classes or train with somebody who does

to be frank, you can know all the subs in the world and it won't mean shit if you have no experience applying them on a trained and resisting opponent. get your ass to a real academy.

Thanks guys I realise i gotta take classes but im not that gun-ho about it right now...just want a little background...anybody wanna explain teh americana to me?

americana is basically a reversed kimura however if you don't know how to set it up or can't keep position long enough to get it knowing how to do it is absolutely useless ... ex: i knew how to do an armbar before i started bjj because i was shown how to do it by someone whos been training for a couple years but it took me nearly 3 months of training before i was able to apply it on a resisting opponent

Around here, we have a different move called a key lock. I have heard it called a V-lock, and the Kimura called a chicken wing before...

classes man, this seems to be a new trend going on.

triso said:
classes man, this seems to be a new trend going on.
man between school, work and everything else im just trying to get some knowledgable moves here

like i said i really cant afford to take classes, i wish i could...and when i say i am very knowledgable i dont mean just by watching...

richieb19 said:
like i said i really cant afford to take classes, i wish i could...and when i say i am very knowledgable i dont mean just by watching...
Even if it is just once a week or once every two weeks, it is worth it. On average in my area, it costs $15 for just one class, with several free options available too. You can search Craiglist for people interested in training; although, you got to watch out for scams and "questionable" people. I met up with a blue belt to train with once through Craiglist when I had nowhere else to practice. Another way is to watch tournaments and find out where the competitors train; I found out about a lot of great places that way. It can be cheaper that you think, and fasting one day or eating less a few days and using the money for training is well worth it IMHO.

Frodo said:
Even if it is just once a week or once every two weeks, it is worth it. On average in my area, it costs $15 for just one class, with several free options available too. You can search Craiglist for people interested in training; although, you got to watch out for scams and "questionable" people. I met up with a blue belt to train with once through Craiglist when I had nowhere else to practice. Another way is to watch tournaments and find out where the competitors train; I found out about a lot of great places that way. It can be cheaper that you think, and fasting one day or eating less a few days and using the money for training is well worth it IMHO.
thank you...these last few threads have been better than any on sherdog so far...im in ontario canada tho...and the closest mma gym is in london (1 1/2 hours away)...and i know of know ground game gyms

dont bash me for saying ground game i just mean any type of martial art that deals with ground tactics

belikechris said:
ok...if you want a handfull of high percentage submissions...the guy before me has done a good job but offered too much for a beginner...try the following

sidemount: kimura. sidechoke
mount: straight armbar
backmount: rear naked, armbar
guard: armbar, triangle, kimura

you will be buisy enough to get these right but dont froget to train your sweeps and tansitions even more...movement can open a lot of posibilities for you when there seems to be no submission at hand in a vertain position

good luck and dont forget...take some classes
agreed. but with the americana from the mount

I wouldnt let these people get to you.

Dont stop training just because you dont have a school. Training with a partner is better than no training at all, and if you dont have a skilled partner you have to teach him.

I wouldnt hold it against anyone if they taught someone how to punch even if they had never been to a boxing gym, so I dont see why you couldnt get some decent knowledge and teach a couple of friends the basics.

As long as you acknowledge that you havent been personally taught and that the moves are dangerous, and quite possibly fundamentally incorrect I think you should be okay.

BJJ.org has a lot of great techniques. Also Renzo Gracies "Mastering Jiu Jitsu" book is not only a great crash course, but just good reading.

IMO the basics that you should know as best you can for no gi.

From guard

Armbar
Triange
Kimura
Sit up sweep
(all these moves flow together)
Guillotine

From mount

Ezekiel choke/forearm choke
armbar
keylock

From side
Keylock/americana
Kimura

From knee on belly
near-side-Armbar

From back
Rear naked choke

From Halfguard
At least one sweep

From standing
A proper sprawl
A proper double leg
A proper single leg
A guillotine
An inside trip

If at all possible, spend some cash and go to a workshop in your area so you can have an idea what training is supposed to look like. I live out in the middle of no where so I know training can be tough, but training properly is 10Xs better than training casually with a friend.

Back