General MMA Discussion & Future Lines - January, 2019

This is beyond retarded. Why would Ferg take ANOTHER interim belt-fight when he already won one that they just stripped him of? He should already be next in line for the belt.

I miss the days when you had one champ per division and that guy was just fighting contenders in his own division.

Holloway is going to melt the Poi, yes? I think I'd gladly take him over Tony too.

Does Kalikas still make the MMA odds?

My comment favouring Max was made without seeing the odds, and expecting them to be somewhere close to even. Yeesh, I would agree with you seeing Max at -270.
Looking at odds I'll take Poirier ML then Max 4,5 and Dec possibly. Think this could be Max's toughest fight to date given how tough Poirier is to wear down.

got max earlier at -162, only 1.2u limits but like the line. obviously wouldn't play him now.

Not sure I agree with the confidence in Max. He beat a punching bag last time out which I think is clouding people's judgement a bit. He'll face more adversity here

Crazy to bet him a worse than -170 IMO. Will be on DP if odds stay like this

Not sure I agree with the confidence in Max. He beat a punching bag last time out which I think is clouding people's judgement a bit. He'll face more adversity here

Yeah, could also be the fact that he won his last twelve fights before that.

I'm not sold on Max's TDD after Ortega and his awful wrestling got him down twice, the only decent wrestler Max really shutdown was Lamas and managed to avoid fighting Mendes and Edgar who were all always the top wrestlers at 145. Poirier is imo the most well rounded guy at 155 and frequently mixes his striking and TD's with great success. I feel his last 2 fights are going to mislead people on how good his offensive wrestling is given he faced the 2 best defensive wrestlers in the division Alvarez and Gaethje. Ortega has terrible top control too so Max could get up easily enough but if Poirier can secure position he'll have a huge BJJ advantage, therefore a repeat performance and submission win by Poirier is definitely an option.

Then on the feet Max has more volume and diversity but Poirier will have a power advantage and all the time Holloway stays orthodox he'll be able to control range and mitigate Holloways volume that he uses to overwhelm people. Also, Max doesn't have the big one punch power of guys like MJ, McGregor, Alvarez or even KZ that hurt Poirier on the feet before. Poiriers power could hurt Max on the feet too given he was stunned by both Aldo and Ortega in his recent outings and as we've seen so many times you can't just eat big shots (as Jan found out recently). Therefore a Poirier TKO wouldn't be too surprising for me as Poirier has matured so that he no longer rushes finishes and when he has an opponent he will methodically finish them leaving no chance for a recovery. As a result if he does stun or hurt Max he has a high chance of finishing.

Overwhelming Poirier on the feet is going to be harder than any of Max's prior opponents Gaethje came close but a lot of that came down to the destruction of Poiriers lead leg and Gaethje's amazing TDD which denied Poirier an option to take the pressure off.

Of course Max could do his usual tactic of technically marching down his opponents and slowly overwhelming them, but this could be a surprisingly good match up for Poirier with a lot of areas he could do well in.

Back