Gel Handwraps

fat_wilhelm

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Joe from Combat Sports (or anyone else who has tried these),

How are the gel handwraps you sell? I'm typically too lazy to wrap my hands before hitting the bag, but this looks like a convenient option. Are they snug, protective, etc.?

Thanks.

http://www.combatsports.com/detail.aspx?ID=22428

fat_wilhelm said:
Joe from Combat Sports (or anyone else who has tried these),

How are the gel handwraps you sell? I'm typically too lazy to wrap my hands before hitting the bag, but this looks like a convenient option. Are they snug, protective, etc.?

Thanks.

http://www.combatsports.com/detail.aspx?ID=22428

Hmmm these look interesting. I wonder if anyone has tried these, do they run big I wonder?

I just ordered a pair today. They're supposed to get here on Tuesday. I'll let you know how they are once I get 'em.

I too am lazy, so I figured it was worth a shot if these things were any good.

Ha, I actually have a pair of those,( differabt company)pretty good shit. I'm also too lazy to use the Everlast wraps. Plus they are always too tight.

They're great. They run true to size. It almost feels like a glove to me, but it beats taking a few minutes to wrap your hands. I will say they don't seem to give your hand the brick feel of tradidtional wraps, but for light pad work they're great. Very protective, quite snug and comfy. Also, you can't beat CombatSports for customer service. They're great.

Awesome -- I think I'm gonna grab some in the near future.

Oh by the way, don't know if you guys knew but if you spend over 100 bucks you get a free CSI one strap gear bag. I had some stuff I've been holding off on buying for a while so I just squeeked over 100. We'll see if it can actually hold all my gear.

wow they look pretty damn good. I really suck at wrapping my hands so they look pretty easy to put on.

They are awesome! We will be selling them soon , we are just in the final testing , we got some different type of gels that ripped during some hard training and we are selecting the gel thickness. We will be posting a pic soon. We will give some away for try outs as well.

Team RFW

sorry for going off topic but since we are talking about handwraps... are mexican hand wraps like the ones sold at ringside supposed to be nice and stretchy like the everlast mexican gauze wraps that you need closing clasps for? I bought 2 pairs of the ringside ones and the pair i tried out today seemed like regular cotton wraps w/o the stretch of the mexican gauze... Anyone use mexican hand wraps know how "stretchy" the material is supposed to be? I love the gauze wraps but it's a hassle when the clasps come loose during bagwork or sparring which is why i decided to try out the hooknloop mexican wraps.

**EDIT** As for the main question, I've read on many forums that nothing would ever really beat wrapping/taping your hands. The gel handwraps seem to just be extra padding for the knuckles instead of holding all the bones in your hand together.

l3lizz4rd said:
Oh by the way, don't know if you guys knew but if you spend over 100 bucks you get a free CSI one strap gear bag. I had some stuff I've been holding off on buying for a while so I just squeeked over 100. We'll see if it can actually hold all my gear.

I just recieved my ringside order which had the same promotion w/ the slingbag. It'd easily hold a towel, training apparel, wraps, and bag gloves with room in the smaller pockets to spare.

I personally like Gel knuckle guards a lot more, you put them on under your wrist wraps...

migo said:
How are they for wrist stability?
They're quite good, not as good as wraps though. As long as you're punching form is any where decent you'll be fine. They were made to hit with:)

WMah said:
sorry for going off topic but since we are talking about handwraps... are mexican hand wraps like the ones sold at ringside supposed to be nice and stretchy like the everlast mexican gauze wraps that you need closing clasps for? I bought 2 pairs of the ringside ones and the pair i tried out today seemed like regular cotton wraps w/o the stretch of the mexican gauze... Anyone use mexican hand wraps know how "stretchy" the material is supposed to be? I love the gauze wraps but it's a hassle when the clasps come loose during bagwork or sparring which is why i decided to try out the hooknloop mexican wraps.

Hey pal, the "mexican handwraps" just mean they are a lot longer (10') in length than regular handwraps (180' as opposed to 170'). Most people wear Mexican style. Regular is way to short for me. Also, I would always go with the hook and loop. I'm not sure exactly which wraps you bought. I believe the ringside are called "slightly elastic. Most wraps are stretch though. If it's not stretchable, just make sure you wrap your hands slowly and tight. Hope that helps:)

Thx for clearing it up jamison. I thought mexican wraps were stretchy since ringside has both "classic weave" which is 180" and the mexican handwraps which are also 180" I guess the "slightly elastic" property in the description doesn't mean it'll stretch like the mexican gauze heheh. So far my preference is the mexican gauze since it hugs to the shape of my hand b/c of the elasticity... might try to see if i can borrow my grandparent's sewing machine to try to sew some velcro onto the gauze so i don't have to use clips... the non stretchy stuff seems to either cut off my circulation, or be too loose that it slips away over the fingers. I wrap my hands like this:
handwrapping.jpg

WMah said:
Thx for clearing it up jamison. I thought mexican wraps were stretchy since ringside has both "classic weave" which is 180" and the mexican handwraps which are also 180" I guess the "slightly elastic" property in the description doesn't mean it'll stretch like the mexican gauze heheh. So far my preference is the mexican gauze since it hugs to the shape of my hand b/c of the elasticity... might try to see if i can borrow my grandparent's sewing machine to try to sew some velcro onto the gauze so i don't have to use clips... the non stretchy stuff seems to either cut off my circulation, or be too loose that it slips away over the fingers. I wrap my hands like this:
handwrapping.jpg
You may be right. I always was told that Mexican were longer. If the handwraps don't stretch, they will be a pain. The way you're wrapping your hands is perfect.

The purpose of wearing handwraps is to support the muscles and bones in your hand to prevent injury. These gel wraps don't do that. They do provide a little extra padding- but your gloves should be the only padding you need. I have experimented with several types of wraps. The best wraps around are the mexican style (any brand will do).

Back