Gel Handwraps

They are a good supplement but never a replacement for the real thing. When I am doing hard pad work I will wear them. But nothing will replace a good quality wrap with a quality wrapping job. Wrist is far more important than the knuckles.

While I agree 100%, a skilled boxer can throw sufficient punches with great wrist support from his arms. Sort of like building up muscle. But most times wraps are the best.

jamison said:
Hey pal, the "mexican handwraps" just mean they are a lot longer (10') in length than regular handwraps (180' as opposed to 170'). Most people wear Mexican style. Regular is way to short for me. Also, I would always go with the hook and loop. I'm not sure exactly which wraps you bought. I believe the ringside are called "slightly elastic. Most wraps are stretch though. If it's not stretchable, just make sure you wrap your hands slowly and tight. Hope that helps:)

Wrong. Mexican handwraps are stretchy as well as long. Regular wraps are not.

Also, there is no substitute for wrapping your hands. Don't be so lazy, just do it. Your wrists will thank you some day.
If you suck at it, just keep practicing. I used to suck at it too. Now I can wrap my shit nice and tight in under 2 minutes.

thaiboxgrappler said:
Wrong. Mexican handwraps are stretchy as well as long. Regular wraps are not.

Also, there is no substitute for wrapping your hands. Don't be so lazy, just do it. Your wrists will thank you some day.
If you suck at it, just keep practicing. I used to suck at it too. Now I can wrap my shit nice and tight in under 2 minutes.

How stretchy is it supposed to be? only slightly? or as stretchy as mexican gauze?

WMah said:
How stretchy is it supposed to be? only slightly? or as stretchy as mexican gauze?

I guess I'd say the only way to describe it is barely stretchy. Really, of all the Mexican-style wraps I've had, they are all like this. You only realize that they're stretchy after you've worn a pair of straight cotton wraps. The difference becomes clear then.

fat_wilhelm said:
Joe from Combat Sports (or anyone else who has tried these),

How are the gel handwraps you sell? I'm typically too lazy to wrap my hands before hitting the bag, but this looks like a convenient option. Are they snug, protective, etc.?

Thanks.

http://www.combatsports.com/detail.aspx?ID=22428

Woah now, not ready for those weekend posts.. lol

To be completely honest with you, I find them to be very uncomfortable and they dont offer much support, what is nice about them is they give you something different, so you dont have to deal with 180 inches of wrap. We actually got something dropping in the near future that people are going to love. But im not a big fan of those TKO wraps..

Joe, Honesty like that makes me want to buy more stuff from you. Knowing you won't show a bias to your own products and tell it like it is is completely AWESOME! I applaud you.

Hey Joe, I ordered a pair of the Grappling Shin Guards from you guys but they're on backorder. Know what timetable you're looking at for getting them back in stock?

COMBATSPORTS said:
We actually got something dropping in the near future that people are going to love. But im not a big fan of those TKO wraps..

Well, then, I guess I'm going to have to wait for whatever it is you've got dropping in the near future. Thanks for the honest remarks.

l3lizz4rd said:
Hey Joe, I ordered a pair of the Grappling Shin Guards from you guys but they're on backorder. Know what timetable you're looking at for getting them back in stock?

PM Me your order number and I can check it out. We have plenty in stock, but we are waiting for our fixed batch to be in sometime this week, that should eliminate all sizing issues that we are having.

Thanks

Just to help out with the original question - I personally use these handwraps three times a week and I think they're great. Very easy to get on and off which is nice in a class where one minute we might be doing standup and the next minute you don't want them on.

Only downside is that they start to stink after a few uses - but that's true of a lot of things and just rinsing them off daily works pretty well with a full wash once every week or so.

I think these Gel Wraps hold up pretty well to actual wraps. I've used them, the Mexican styles, the Fairtex (of Mexican length), CSI, Ringside, Everlast, what have you.

If you don't know how to wrap your hands right (and I didn't), they probably give you more support.

The real appeal to these is how damn fast you can get them on and off. If your MMA dojo shifts its groups, this is that much more convenient.

l3lizz4rd said:
Hey, just wanted to let you know these wraps aren't big hand friendly at all. I always find myself saying about things "One size fits all" doesn't include us giants. I got them today and put them on. It was pretty hard getting the velcro around to fasten, and then once I did I pretty much lost circulation to my fingers. Ended up not being a big deal though I just sold them off to my roommate as they fit him fine. They seem like a good idea if you're looking for a quick wrap and unwrap. But for people with big hands, these aren't for you.
Oh, definitely.

I should have mentioned this. My hands fit if I stretched the gel wraps, but they didn't actually fit me, that was obvious. If your hands are big, you'll wear through them in no time.

Handwraps are cheaper.

I've used the TKO gel wraps for a long time, because I am lazy. My observations:

Pluses: They are super fast and convenient. Good padding on the front. Wash easy.

Minuses: The wrist support is terrible; to deal with that I wrap a roll of gauze over my wrists then put them on top of that. If you have any wrist issues, they are worthless by themselves. The other big minus is that they wear out relatively quick -- you gotta buy new ones soon enough.

Overall, I like them, but they have some issues.

Back