News Gegard Mousasi frustrated by 'radio silence' from PFL, feeling pressured to 'take a pay cut'

PFL should just release Mousasi from his contract if they aren't willing to pay him what Bellator was. Not sure where he'd go though, not too many opportunities at his age I imagine. Perhaps ONE FC?

Seems like PFL spent all the money on Bellator and can't find the money to pay all their contracts frequently. I have no idea how PFL is going to make a profit between this and paying for those million dollar tournaments.
They haven’t made a penny in their existence … + they have been losing millions of dollars a year … which is incredible that they keep finding investors in this mess of a company

I dont feel bad for Mousasi... I dont believe for one second there not replying..

More like they didnt like the offer and are expecting more from PFL but PFL just acquired a whole shit ton of contracts, they can just be paying everyone whatever they want... And Mousasi isn't exactly top stock anymore...like he was in the past ..

He went 6-3 in bellator and is coming off two loses and is 38 years old...no longer the champion...

Thats not a strong ground to be standing on when negotiating contracts ..

Just saying...

We arent talking about wiz kid young Mousasi here...

I dont feel bad for Mousasi... I dont believe for one second there not replying..

More like they didnt like the offer and are expecting more from PFL but PFL just acquired a whole shit ton of contracts, they can just be paying everyone whatever they want... And Mousasi isn't exactly top stock anymore...like he was in the past ..

He went 6-3 in bellator and is coming off two loses and is 38 years old...no longer the champion...

Just saying...

Negotiating what contract? He already has one.

Negotiating what contract? He already has one.

For sure PFL is reworking some of the contract they took over from Bellator or at the very least being very selective of when to use those contracts

For example putting Mousasi at his likely rate (250k-300k) on a regular season card probably doesn't make sense..now putting him on a play off, or finals card or just a side PPV card..yes...

But we simply just don't know PFL's plan yet for all these PPV or bigger cards they were talking about post merger..

They are from the outside looking in...taking their sweet ass time figuring it out...

I for one hope they do something progressive soon

For sure PFL is reworking some of the contract they took over from Bellator or at the very least being very selective of when to use those contracts

For example putting Mousasi at his likely rate (250k-300k) on a regular season card probably doesn't make sense..now putting him on a play off, or finals card or just a side PPV card..yes...

But we simply just don't know PFL's plan yet for all these PPV or bigger cards they were talking about post merger..

They are from the outside looking in...taking their sweet ass time figuring it out...

Why do the companies get to redo contracts and not be forced to fulfill them? They have to offer him a certain amount of fights per year and it seems they are intent on just offering short notice LHW bouts for him when he wants to continue at MW.

Why do the companies get to redo contracts and not be forced to fulfill them? They have to offer him a certain amount of fights per year and it seems they are intent on just offering short notice LHW bouts for him when he wants to continue at MW.

Well because business is ever changing and what worked for one business may not for another, although i do agree they should honor certain parts of the agreements ( frequency of fights offered) and its probably in their best interest to concede somethings to the fighter..

The fact remains Mousasi at this stage just might not be worth it , when they have younger guys and a full roster to consider...

Especially if Mousasi isnt going the tournament route...

If you were them, who does he fight at MW from their current roster and when/how ..( regular season special attraction, playoff special add on fight, bellator fight series, or PPV)..like what would your ideal plan be

And that's where they can hold that contract over Mousasi. Technically they have offered him fights. Just because it is not in the timeframe you want or the weight class you want they can say legally they offered you fights and you turned them down.

Says who?

Just saying...

Well because business is ever changing and what worked for one business may not for another, although i do agree they should honor certain parts of the agreements ( frequency of fights offered) and its probably in their best interest to concede somethings to the fighter..

The fact remains Mousasi at this stage just might not be worth it , when they have younger guys and a full roster to consider...

Especially if Mousasi isnt going the tournament route...

If you were them, who does he fight at MW from their current roster and when/how ..( regular season special attraction, playoff special add on fight, bellator fight series, or PPV)..like what would your ideal plan be

Reading your posts is just painful.

So PFL should just pay Mousasi whatever he wants...when he's 38 on two fight losing streak ..

Your not really elaborating...kinda just seems like your a hater

So PFL should just pay Mousasi whatever he wants...when he's 38 on two fight losing streak ..

Your not really elaborating...kinda just seems like your a hater
You absorb the company and its contracts, regardless if you like them or not. You can’t just pick and choose which ones you want, a contract is legally binding.

You absorb the company and its contracts, regardless if you like them or not. You can’t just pick and choose which ones you want, a contract is legally binding.

Without seeing the legal documentation that went along with the merger deal or buy out deal...we dont know how this was left between the two companies...

The only part i do not like in all this, is the lack of communication done by PFL if what Mousasi is saying is true, its clear money is an issue between them but you should never go radio silent on people you have a contract with.. that's unprofessional..which is funny when your brand is called Professional Fighters league ... but also not cool by them ..

Everything else is just business and politicting...the UFC has done this before many times

Without seeing the legal documentation that went along with the merger deal or buy out deal...we dont know how this was left between the two companies...

The only part i do not like in all this, is the lack of communication done by PFL if what Mousasi is saying is true, its clear money is an issue between them but you should never go radio silent on people you have a contract with.. that's unprofessional..which is funny when your brand is called Professional Fighters league ... but also not cool by them ..

Everything else is just business and politicting...the UFC has done this before many times

I'm sure there some stumbling blocks going on behind the scenes with this merger. It's basically been a few months only and all of sudden PFL brass has like 200 more fighters to deal with and probably not more employees to deal with them all. I'm sure Gegard is one of many that feel like they are getting the cold shoulder.

I don't think there is any doubt that PFL doesn't think Gegard is worth what his contract is and that is fine, just release him or ask if he is willing to renegotiate. The later seems like that would've been the first thing they'd ask and I'm guessing Gegard's people said no, rightfully so and it got left at that and here we are today. Probably should just ask for his out right release.

Last edited:
Why the hell isn't Mousasi retired?

Dude wanted to retire a gazillion years ago and he had real estate and stuff to live off.

Big fan of him but he is clearly way past his prime.

Why the hell isn't Mousasi retired?

Dude wanted to retire a gazillion years ago and he had real estate and stuff to live off.

Big fan of him but he is clearly way past his prime.
He has said many times he just wants to finish his contract, he doesn’t want to leave money on the table it seems

I mean if you can't afford the contracts Bellator have their fighters on then don't buy Bellator.

I mean if you can't afford the contracts Bellator have their fighters on then don't buy Bellator.
They bought the roster because Bellator fighters are better and more well known on average but then surprised that better fighters might warrant bigger contracts. release half and refuse to pay the other ones, what was exactly the pfl plan

More and more I feel like it was just to get rid of competition so they can call themselves the second best

They bought the roster because Bellator fighters are better and more well known on average but then surprised that better fighters might warrant bigger contracts. release half and refuse to pay the other ones, what was exactly the pfl plan

More and more I feel like it was just to get rid of competition so they can call themselves the second best

Of course getting rid of competition was one of the benefits of the deal.

I don't know how many they are willing not to pay their contracted amount. I think only a few have came forward about lack of communication and Gegard really the only one about money. They are paying guys like Pitbull and Romero to fight and they are probably making more money or similar to Gegard. I think it has more to do with what is the long term plan with Gegard more so than anything else. Last I know is he signed a multi fight deal in 2017 with Bellator and has had 10 fights since then. I would assume he signed another contract somewhere around 2021 and has had 4 fights since then. Guessing he only has fight or two left on the contract. Lost his last two and according to PFL was offered a new contract, obvious at lower rate. I get both sides in this. Gergard just wants to fight out his remaining contract and PFL is like we aren't going to invest X amount in you for a fight or two and then your gone.

I'm sure at the end of the day they'll figure it out, either letting him go or giving him mostly what is due from his Bellator contract and fight it out.

Back