Gastelum Returns to Welterweight

HeavyHands20

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Kelvin Gastelum vs. Matt Brown: November 21, 2015

I think Gastelum is jumping the gun on returning to the WW division. The USADA IV ban goes in effect in October. Gastelum/Brown is set for November. A miracle has to take place for Gastelum to properly cut down to 170 and rehydrate in a healthy fashion. I don't see this going in Gastelum's favor and will probably result in his WW career to be permanently shelved in the UFC.

source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/4...stelum-to-headline-tuf-latin-america-2-finale

He doesn't need to dehydrate himself too bad to make 170; just needs to shed all that extra body fat. He can do that by November; I'm sure he's well into a diet already.

I don't think he should go back down to Welterweight can he make weight this time?
Probably but every time he cuts down to Welterweight it's going to be a dice roll. Especially because of the IV ban in October.

The fatty returns lol hope he can make weight ok.

I don't think a miracle needs to happen for him to make it. At 5'8" I think he should be easily making 170 and maybe even 155. Dude just needs more discipline in his eating habits and dietary care.

Laying off the cake = A miracle?

Gastelum returns to Rumbleweight, I think you mean. I bet he blows weight by 5 pounds or more in his next fight. He has all the talent in the world, but he's young and unlike some young fighters, does not seem mature beyond his years.

The guy needs to be a WW, he is a serious contender to the title I really believe that. He should realize it is time to get serious about his diet before a fight

Kelvin is one of those guys that just rises to the challenge no matter who it is, that loss to Woodley he obviously wasn't the same guy

This will definitely be Kelvin's last chance to make 170 properly. If he blows it- the UFC damn sure will never give him another WW Main Event fight again. I like Brown in this fight still.

Last edited:
Huh? The last time he fought, Dana reemed his ass at the press conference making him out to be a piece of shit for trying to get to 170 and that he hasn't shown anything to him that would let him fight at 170.

What the fuck happened to that?

I don't think a miracle needs to happen for him to make it. At 5'8" I think he should be easily making 170 and maybe even 155. Dude just needs more discipline in his eating habits and dietary care.

Only one man can accomplish this task:

UNaH3bD.jpg

Huh? The last time he fought, Dana reemed his ass at the press conference making him out to be a piece of shit for trying to get to 170 and that he hasn't shown anything to him that would let him fight at 170.

What the fuck happened to that?

The guy is seriously talented and still young, also he only missed weight twice i believe

Of course that is 2 times too many but everyone makes mistakes

This

he better take it seriously this time. showing up out of shape to a 5 round fight with Matt Brown is suicidal. it would also be career suicide if he missed weight and then got destroyed.

He doesn't need to dehydrate himself too bad to make 170; just needs to shed all that extra body fat. He can do that by November; I'm sure he's well into a diet already.

I bet we see pics in the next few months of him sitting in front of a table full of high calorie food.

at least from what I've read, it's not so much that he's straight up too big for the weight class, but that he just doesn't eat like a professional athlete does.

He could probably just pay someone to make his meals for him and be fine.

Gastelum vs. Wonderboy or Gunnar

Maia vs. Brown

Those made a lot more sense to me.

Gastelum and cyborgs weights are the biggest myths on sherdog today.

For some reason everyone thinks it's theoretically impossible for them to make weight at 170 and at 135, yet when any other fighter drops a weight class or two it's no big deal.

Back