Gastelum Returns to Welterweight

I'm a huge Matt Brown fan but I think Kelvin should be able to wrestle him down pretty easy, but if it goes into the later rounds I think Kelvin will gas way before Brown does.

I'm just as concerned about Gastelum's level of competition as I am his weight. If you're a guy on the come-up at 170, it's like a suicide mission to take on Brown at this point. In a way, he's like the highest level gatekeeper there is at the moment.

I know the UFC want to capitalise on Gastelum's Mexican heritage for that market (hence the coaching role on 'TUF Latin America', too), but this fight just seems like it's lining him up for a loss. The coaching role just brings added pressure to his training and weight cut as well.

I really would have put him against another young up-and-comer at 170 like Neil Magny or Gunnar Nelson, or even given him someone like Robert Whitaker or Josh Samman at 185.

Kelvin is a dangerous 170er

Gastelum and cyborgs weights are the biggest myths on sherdog today.

For some reason everyone thinks it's theoretically impossible for them to make weight at 170 and at 135, yet when any other fighter drops a weight class or two it's no big deal.

What are you going on about? Gastelum has missed weight twice in five attempts.

What are you going on about? Gastelum has missed weight twice in five attempts.

Yeah, but it's because he's noticeably carrying body fat. He's not some muscled hulk like Rumble, and he's not coming in looking like Skeletor and still missing weight either.

Being 5'8"-5'9" like and carrying fat like he is, Gastelum could realistically make Lightweight if he really wanted to.

He doesn't need to dehydrate himself too bad to make 170; just needs to shed all that extra body fat. He can do that by November; I'm sure he's well into a diet already.

Exactly. All he has to do is monitor his carbs, eliminating breads pastas and sweets mostly, and he'll trim down easily while maintaining his strength and muscle mass. I speak from personal experience.

Kelvin Gastelum vs. Matt Brown: November 21, 2015

I think Gastelum is jumping the gun on returning to the WW division. The USADA IV ban goes in effect in October. Gastelum/Brown is set for November. A miracle has to take place for Gastelum to properly cut down to 170 and rehydrate in a healthy fashion. I don't see this going in Gastelum's favor and will probably result in his WW career to be permanently shelved in the UFC.

source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/4...stelum-to-headline-tuf-latin-america-2-finale

Kelvin's takedowns better be on point or else Brown will punish him.

Exactly. All he has to do is monitor his carbs, eliminating breads pastas and sweets mostly, and he'll trim down easily while maintaining his strength and muscle mass. I speak from personal experience.

There may lie the problem. The dude might not be disciplined enough to cut those items out of his diet. We will find out, but we all know 3rd time and he's out. He will be forced to compete at 185 and above if he misses in November.

Kelvin can easily make WW, IV or not. It's obviously all diet for him.

Gastelum and cyborgs weights are the biggest myths on sherdog today.

For some reason everyone thinks it's theoretically impossible for them to make weight at 170 and at 135, yet when any other fighter drops a weight class or two it's no big deal.

Cyborg is as big as most males who fight at 155 in terms of muscle, and size

Must have shared a burrito with Dana White, never would've thought he'd get another chance with the way White was acting at that press conference. I still think he could be a force at WW if he gets his weight right, though, so I'm not complaining. Hope he gets it right.

If he can make weight. He's elite at WW and really just underperformed against Woodley, and it was still a ridiculously close fight. I wasn't really a believer at first but the dude is skilled. He just needs to work on his mental game and making weight.

Hopefully he makes weight this should be a great fight

wonder if Matt Brown accepted the fight and then nodded his head up and down expecting that extra purse for when Gastelum misses weight

Dude has so much potential, but if he misses weight again he'll forever be a small MW.

Really hope Kelvin makes weight but i mean come on they scheduled the fight in Mexico and he's said he loves that mexican food .
I really would like to see Kelvin get his diet in gear and punish matt brown in the mean time because if he can't get his diet right mentally i can't see him taking the necessary requirements to be or stay champ

At WW, he has the potential to be future champion someday, possibly. At MW, that will never happen. I know he loves his food, but he's gotta ask himself, do I wanna be a future champion at WW or a future fringe top 10 MW

As long as he lays off the pasta he should be fine, he doesn't have a big enough frame to justify that much struggle making 170. If Hendricks can baloon up as much as he does and still reliably make weight, there's no reason Gastelum shouldn't.

Back