Gane won round 5

Gane is faster, and when he employes “hit and run” that’s high IQ, but when Francis decide to use his strength and utilizes Gane as a mattress then it’s boring? GTFOH! If Gane wanted to stand and exchange Francis would have been more than happy to do so, but as a slower fighter he obviously couldnt catch up with hit and run, so why not use the mattress then?

of course he did, but apparently laying on top of someone because you are dead tired while the other guy out struck you on the feet, took you down, tried to submit you twice, is considered not effective striking or grappling while Ngannou apparently was doing magic on the ground to steal the round somehow.... amazing

MMA.....

Gane took Francis down and was credited with two submission attempts. If a fighter is credited with a submission attempt it means it was effective offense, take the commentary out of it.

So how would a sweep and maintaining position be a more effective use of grappling in terms of the MMA scoring criteria which values damage?

You're talking out of two sides of your mouth. And you're citing MMA being the sport where Gane should win the round due to his grappling when it's the sport LEAST likely to give him a W.

Gane got a takedown into half guard. Advantage Gane.

Francis retreated to open guard (improvement Francis, but Gane is on top). Neutral or advantage Gane.

From open guard, Gane got swept onto his back. Advantage Francis.

From there, Gane attempted two submissions. Advantage Gane.

From there, he was mounted. Advantage Francis.

From there, he retreated to half guard, where he spent over half the round on his back, on bottom, in half guard. Big advantage Francis. 2:44 of top position control.

In MMA, half guard is not a 50-50 position of points. Person on top is in a more advantageous position.

So how exactly do you quantify that getting a takedown into guard and then getting swept onto your back is more effective grappling than being on top for 2:44? In ANY sport, but especially MMA.

No he didn’t. Francis’ striking scared Gane I to being a panic wrestler and he got outwrestled.

Francis striking scared gane? Francis was the one taking it to the ground in rounds 3 and 4

I think he went for the td to mix it up and strike before ngannou

GTFOH! If Gane wanted to stand and exchange Francis would have been more than happy to do so, but as a slower fighter he obviously couldnt catch up with hit and run, so why not use the mattress then?

So why Francis the one hell bent on taking the fight to the ground prior to the 5th?

Is your argument that Francis took him
Down because of necessity ? Gane was too fast on the feet ?

So why Francis the one hell bent on taking the fight to the ground prior to the 5th?

Is your argument that Francis took him
Down because of necessity ? Gane was too fast on the feet ?
Yes, and Gane was not interested in any other exchange than hit and get out. Stipe is also faster than Francis, but Francis never needed to go to ground because Stipe had balls and will to stand with him (at least he did in second fight, but even in first fight he got close enough to get clipped a few times).

Francis did nothing but gane didn't do shit either. Awkward fight

The submission attempt was dreadful and was no risk to Ngannou. I'd say that was a submission attempt the same as missing a power punch from 5 feet away as as a knockout attempt

Yes, and Gane was not interested in any other exchange than hit and get out. Stipe is also faster than Francis, but Francis never needed to go to ground because Stipe had balls and will to stand with him (at least he did in second fight, but even in first fight he got close enough to get clipped a few times).

So in summary Francis took the fight to the ground because he was losing the first 2 rounds on the feet due to (insert whatever perceived reasoning / blame)

For me both 4. and 5. round was pure draw. Gane outpunched Nganou in 4. round.

I agree that it’s never a good look to express such deflated body language after a close fight. But you gotta BEAT the champ to be the champ and Francis coasted rnds 3-5. Submission attempts are historically undervalued, so this outcome shouldn’t come as a shock. Gane winning a decision, however, would have been surprising.
Submission attempts, aka, failed submissions, are rightly undervalued throughout history. If the submission was super deep and perhaps had some physical impact like pulling a muscle or stretching a tendon then sure, give it some points. Hail mary subs that don't come anywhere close to become completed should get no more points than swinging haymakers that don't come anywhere close to landing or really bad attempts at suplexes which don't come anywhere close to takeoff.

The submission attempt was dreadful and was no risk to Ngannou. I'd say that was a submission attempt the same as missing a power punch from 5 feet away as as a knockout attempt
MindlessCreativeGemsbuck-max-1mb.gif

So in summary Francis took the fight to the ground because he was losing the first 2 rounds on the feet due to (insert whatever perceived reasoning / blame)
Yeah, then he won the next three. High fighter IQ at its best.

He shit the bed when he sat back for a heel hook.his coach should have been freaking out telling him to maintain top control.he got the takedown without much effort and instead of passing guard or throwing shots he gives up position and loses the round.had it 2-2 going into the 5th.that was a sign of his lack of experience. Im not shitting on him and I thought he was going to school big frank.jones smokes either of them and honestly think prime dc would give them both hell

Francis won because it's UFC MMA rules. You are on top means you won that part. Gane needed that black beast underhook get up.

There's an argument for it, but that argument wouldn't be needed if he didn't go for the leg lock in the first place

48-47 Gane (10-9, 10-9, 9-10, 9-10, 10-9).

Round 5 is close, I'll admit. Not a robbery or anything. But Ciryl landed more and more significant shots on the feet prior to his takedown. He's credited with two different submission attempts even by the notoriously stingy UFC statisticians. Francis effectively did nothing that round except sweep Ciryl and hold him down -- he looked like he might be considering an arm triangle at one point but never really committed to it. Advanced to mount but never rained down any real GnP. If I'm forced to pick between some solid strikes at the beginning of the round along with a takedown and a heel hook that looked extremely close to finishing the fight versus half a round of dominant top control with little of actual substance (i.e. damage), I'll take the former every time.

I get it, everyone is saying "Get over it, it was Ciryl's own fault he lost and he made the mistake". Yeah, I agree. But that doesn't really change the issue of judging and scoring criteria.

I agree that it’s never a good look to express such deflated body language after a close fight. But you gotta BEAT the champ to be the champ and Francis coasted rnds 3-5. Submission attempts are historically undervalued, so this outcome shouldn’t come as a shock. Gane winning a decision, however, would have been surprising.

Gane didn't do enough to win a title. It was the right decision in my opinion.

This is and always has been one of the worst takes in the MMA community ever. Please show me in the Unified Rules where you've got to finish the guy holding the strap or beat the shit out of him in an arbitrarily dominant fashion in order for it to count. I'll wait.

To be honest, I think sub attempts should be more important then top control, it’s an attack and attempt to finish the fight, laying one someone isn’t really aggression, it’s almost the same as just holding on bottom waiting to stand up. Francis did throw him on his head like three times though, but it’s not like Gane was totally outclassed in the clinch and in grappling. I was pretty impressed with his ability to stand back up and get out of some shitty position. Francis looked ridiculously strong too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back