Gane won round 5

No he didn’t. Francis’ striking scared Gane I to being a panic wrestler and he got outwrestled.

I agree that it’s never a good look to express such deflated body language after a close fight. But you gotta BEAT the champ to be the champ and Francis coasted rnds 3-5. Submission attempts are historically undervalued, so this outcome shouldn’t come as a shock. Gane winning a decision, however, would have been surprising.
Effective grappling is so touchy and subjective. Sub attempts are the very definition of effective grappling in my books but they seem to mean nothing to the judges.
I thought TJ-Sandhagen was a blatant example of this. How the fuck is it "effective grappling" for TJ to just body lock him and hold him on the cage but Corey's heel hook attempt that destroyed TJ's knee wasn't "effective grappling"? In hindsight I see that fight as a bad robbery.

Effective grappling is so touchy and subjective. Sub attempts are the very definition of effective grappling in my books but they seem to mean nothing to the judges.
I thought TJ-Sandhagen was a blatant example of this. How the fuck is it "effective grappling" for TJ to just body lock him and hold him on the cage but Corey's heel hook attempt that destroyed TJ's knee wasn't "effective grappling"? In hindsight I see that fight as a bad robbery.

I agree with everything you wrote. Damage should be the ultimate deciding factor. At least Francis mounted and passed a few times. What TJ did was stalling the punishment he was receiving. Legit robbery that one.

Not the best judging but it was a horrible round, Gane blew it on his own.

Gane was close to winning round 5 and pulling out the majority decision. But close means no cigar.

Nah. Francis reversed position and advanced position. If anything I'd hear an argument for a round 5 draw with the same details, but Gane didn't win anything

K, so Francis did reverse it?! To me it looked like Gane went for a ridiculous leg lock attempt from top position....maybe Francis was trying to get up and Gane just said "fuck it" and went for it?

Either way, I'm still incredulous Gane went for such a low percentage, low IQ submission. He gave that round (and thus the fight) away. One for the all-time MMA blooper reel.

Broke leg, no cardio Francis dominated Gane the whole fight

Nah. Francis reversed position and advanced position. If anything I'd hear an argument for a round 5 draw with the same details, but Gane didn't win anything

So reversing position and maintaining control, without landing any significant strikes, is more significant than Gane taking Francis down and being credited with two submission attempts?

By your logic Gane should have won that 5th round if we are going to effective grappling due to the low volume from both sides; despite the fact Gane landed more significant strikes.

Broke leg, no cardio Francis dominated Gane the whole fight
Gane killed him on the feet even worse than Derrick did. Don't make that excuse when your boy can't even walk down or beat Derrick Lewis on the feet.

he did more damage on the feet and had the submision attemps on the ground while Ngannou did nothing with his ground control
<45> no he didn't do any damage. And his submissions failed so bad he gave up control. Frank didn't win so much as Gane definitely lost he round.

So reversing position and maintaining control, without landing any significant strikes, is more significant than Gane taking Francis down and being credited with two submission attempts?

By your logic Gane should have won that 5th round if we are going to effective grappling due to the low volume from both sides; despite the fact Gane landed more significant strikes.

That's poppy cock and you know it. Francis was on top for over half of the 5th round. Gane had control for less than 40 seconds. Gane getting credit for effective grappling is fine, but Francis didn't get out grappled in that round. He didn't just reverse the position, he technically got a sweep. He had mount briefly. Name me any sport, including MMA, sambo, BJJ, judo, wrestling, catch wrestling, WWE, or whatever the hell you want where that 5th round grappling goes to Gane. I'll wait.

K, so Francis did reverse it?! To me it looked like Gane went for a ridiculous leg lock attempt from top position....maybe Francis was trying to get up and Gane just said "fuck it" and went for it?

Either way, I'm still incredulous Gane went for such a low percentage, low IQ submission. He gave that round (and thus the fight) away. One for the all-time MMA blooper reel.

Gane stood up and apparently wanted to go for the leg lock. He was not in leg lock position, he was still standing and in Francis' open guard. Francis swept him from open guard and eventually ended up in mount and halfguard after.

It wasn't that much of a blooper. Gane is an experienced grappler in the cage, has submitted with that move before, and Francis isn't known for grappling. It wasn't his best move, but he had it pretty deep initially. It's worth noting that there's only been one 5th round submission in championship history, right? There's a reason.

Inexperienced move, but, if he had nailed it, we'd all be falling all over ourselves.

Last edited:
I dunno if no one knocks each out or submits then I award the round to the person who was on top. Deal with it.

That's poppy cock and you know it. Francis was on top for over half of the 5th round. Gane had control for less than 40 seconds. Gane getting credit for effective grappling is fine, but Francis didn't get out grappled in that round. He didn't just reverse the position, he technically got a sweep. Name me any sport, including MMA, sambo, BJJ, judo, wrestling, catch wrestling, WWE, or whatever the hell you want where that 5th round grappling goes to Gane. I'll wait.

MMA.....

Gane took Francis down and was credited with two submission attempts. If a fighter is credited with a submission attempt it means it was effective offense, take the commentary out of it.

So how would a sweep and maintaining position be a more effective use of grappling in terms of the MMA scoring criteria which values damage?

Back