• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Gamrot is Now Completely Out of the Title Picture for a While

When was it said that Islam chose Volk? Not saying that it didn’t happen like that but I saw someone a couple weeks back claiming he ducked Gamrot by choosing Volk but I couldn’t find anything where anyone said that Islam was given the choice.
I think in the press conference during one of Makhachev's utterly depraved and brutal trash talk sequences (according to some Sherdoggers he should be tried at the Hague for the things he has said) he said something like "hey, short guy, you are lucky I choose you I make you money I get you paid" or something similar and then many are extrapolating it to mean that the UFC put 3 or 4 contracts in front of Makhachev two being Gamrot and Volk and said "hey Islam, you can choose whoever you want to headline the annual UAE card with you, it's your choice" and he chose short-notice Volk because he didn't want to fight a LW since he might lose.

I think the UFC is dumb as hell for skipping Gamrot and ruining the movement at LW, but I think it's more true that the UFC were doing what they always do, putting money over sporting integrity. They obviously knew that Volk vs Islam is a bigger fight. It could also be that Islam was just offered a bigger purse to take on Volk vs a smaller purse to take on Gamrot, in which case he made a business decision.

I don't think Makhachev is worried about losing to Gamrot, even on short notice.

I think in the press conference during one of Makhachev's utterly depraved and brutal trash talk sequences (according to some Sherdoggers he should be tried at the Hague for the things he has said) he said something like "hey, short guy, you are lucky I choose you I make you money I get you paid" or something similar and then many are extrapolating it to mean that the UFC put 3 or 4 contracts in front of Makhachev two being Gamrot and Volk and said "hey Islam, you can choose whoever you want to headline the annual UAE card with you, it's your choice" and he chose short-notice Volk because he didn't want to fight a LW since he might lose.

I think the UFC is dumb as hell for skipping Gamrot and ruining the movement at LW, but I think it's more true that the UFC were doing what they always do, putting money over sporting integrity. They obviously knew that Volk vs Islam is a bigger fight. It could also be that Islam was just offered a bigger purse to take on Volk vs a smaller purse to take on Gamrot, in which case he made a business decision.

I don't think Makhachev is worried about losing to Gamrot, even on short notice.
It kind of makes sense that they went with Volk instead of Gamrot. I think the main reason for the backup fighter is in case a fighter has to pull out like a day or two before the fight so they don't have to just scrap it completely. I think it's important to them to have that security net that a backup provides, especially in a place like Abu Dhabi where they want to impress and finding someone to weigh in as a backup on 11 days notice would have likely been harder than getting Volk to step in to the actual fight. That's just my theory though.

I had never heard that Islam had those 3 choices. I have to wonder why when there was a back up fighter there was even any choice needed to be made? That's on the UFC I guess.

Stipe wasn't even offered an Interim Title Fight according to Dana and iirc Stipe confirmed he wasn't offered it.

When was it said that Islam chose Volk? Not saying that it didn’t happen like that but I saw someone a couple weeks back claiming he ducked Gamrot by choosing Volk but I couldn’t find anything where anyone said that Islam was given the choice.

Islam said it himself at the pre fight press conference at 1:33 in this video

"I could have chosen any other opponent -- we have gamrot we have poirier, everybody ready for the belt, but I give you second chance."

No extrapolation needed. He said he had the choice. People can make assumptions all they want about why he made the choice he did -- I'm not going to do that here because it's irrelevant to the thread -- but if we take him at his word, he had the choice and that's what I was saying in the first place.

On the other side of the coin, I think stipe may have had a choice too when Jones pulled out.

Last edited:

"I could have chosen any other opponent -- we have gamrot we have poirier, everybody ready for the belt, but I give you second chance."

No extrapolation needed. He said he had the choice. People can make assumptions all they want about why he made the choice he did -- I'm not going to do that here because it's irrelevant to the thread -- but if we take him at his word, he had the choice and that's what I was saying in the first place.

On the other side of the coin, I think stipe may have had a choice too when Jones pulled out.

It's funny how so many are shook and felt you had to provide proof. I've seen you post enough to know it's never made up.
It's stupid to assume that the champion and/or event headliner does have a say in who they want as a replacement of the available opponents.

Eh. All things considered, Arman should be further ahead. He's won more and more convincingly since then. Hell, their fight was close and the decision could have gone either way. I guess it wouldn't be bad to run it back if Arman isn't getting the shot and Gamrot beats RDA.
Yes. And that “win” over Fiziev means nothing.

I know he said that, I typed it up in my post.

There is extrapolation needed from "he chose Volk over Gamrot" to "he chose Volk over Gamrot because he's afraid of fighting a LW."

If indeed the UFC had no input on who they would like him to fight, then he chose Volk because there were questions left from the first fight and it was a bigger payday.

Personally, if I was Makh and I wanted to avoid the mighty Gamrot to get an easy W, I would have chosen Poirier. Short notice, bum hip, top 5 LW, more popular than Volk and Gamrot, and poor ground game.

I know he said that, I typed it up in my post.

There is extrapolation needed from "he chose Volk over Gamrot" to "he chose Volk over Gamrot because he's afraid of fighting a LW."

If indeed the UFC had no input on who they would like him to fight, then he chose Volk because there were questions left from the first fight and it was a bigger payday.

Personally, if I was Makh and I wanted to avoid the mighty Gamrot to get an easy W, I would have chosen Poirier. Short notice, bum hip, top 5 LW, more popular than Volk and Gamrot, and poor ground game.

I was never saying islam was afraid to face a LW, though, and I'm not sure if someone said that in this thread and I'm missing it or what. But yes, people will guess as to why islam made the choice that he made. For me, personally, I think he simply chose the biggest money fight. At the end of the day, though, the fact that he had a choice is all that I was pointing out here.

I was never saying islam was afraid to face a LW, though, and I'm not sure if someone said that in this thread and I'm missing it or what. But yes, people will guess as to why islam made the choice that he made. For me, personally I think he simply chose the biggest money fight. At the end of the day, though, the fact that he had a choice is all that I was pointing out here.
I'm not accusing you of saying that, but thats a prevailing theory by some here and this is used to bolster that theory. Other hard-hitting evidence for Makhachev avoiding LWs (with help from the UFC btw) because he's afraid to lose is that other LWs are being booked like RDA v Gamrot, Gaethje v Max, and Arman v Olives in order to knock each other off.

I'm not accusing you of saying that, but thats a prevailing theory by some here and this is used to bolster that theory. Other hard-hitting evidence for Makhachev avoiding LWs (with help from the UFC btw) because he's afraid to lose is that other LWs are being booked like RDA v Gamrot, Gaethje v Max, and Arman v Olives in order to knock each other off.

I don't think he's avoiding them out of fear or anything, but the fact that remains that he hasn't been fighting them even when he had a choice to. Again, people can speculate all day about the reasons, but I wasn't going to really bring that part up here because it's kind of irrelevant to the thread.

I don't think he's avoiding them out of fear or anything, but the fact that remains that he hasn't been fighting them even when he had a choice to. Again, people can speculate all day about how reasons, but I wasn't going to really bring that part up here because it's lind of irrelevant to the thread.

In the last 5 fights:

-signed to fight RDA (agreed to Hooker as replacement)

-signed to fight Beniel (agreed to Green as replacement)

-signed to fight Oliviera

-signed to fight Volk

-signed to fight Oliviera 2 (agreed to Volk as replacement)

The only fight where he signed to fight a non-LW was Volk 1 who was already next in line whether Islam or Charles won.

So it's not "a fact that he hasn't been fighting them". Seems like he has been signing up to fight them and making it to the fights.

On one hand, we have the historical fight record showing only one opponent was a non-LW and that was the P4P 1 FW Champ.

On the other hand , we have a bunch of pins and yarn tied in different directions trying to contrive a theory to explain that record away. Add a pinch of UFC protection and conspiring to force their star fighters to fight him injured, UAE corruption allowing him to go in heavy, etc etc and you have great conspiracy theory to pass around discrediting Makhachev.

Are all fighters journeymen? It seems like you think so.

I only mentioned 5 fighters, not all of them. Learn how to comprehend English, pisshead.

Yeah, seems a little shitty that he gets pushed out no matter who won the Arman/Dariush fight. He just fought like 2 months prior and agreed to be the backup for the title fight, so it's not like he got bumped because of inactivity. He, Arman, and Dariush beat each other within a few fights, but Arman jumped ahead of both on his first ranked win even though Gamrot beat him directly and had 2 top 10 wins after.

I don't think that means they gave him a list and told him to pick. I think the UFC wanted Volk and he said ok, instead of turning it down and having them call someone else. It was probably Gamrot if he didn't want a Volk rematch, but Volk was the bigger fight.

It kind of makes sense that they went with Volk instead of Gamrot. I think the main reason for the backup fighter is in case a fighter has to pull out like a day or two before the fight so they don't have to just scrap it completely. I think it's important to them to have that security net that a backup provides, especially in a place like Abu Dhabi where they want to impress and finding someone to weigh in as a backup on 11 days notice would have likely been harder than getting Volk to step in to the actual fight. That's just my theory though.
that’s not just a theory—that’s a fact. that is exactly what a backup fighter is. they get paid to make weight in case of a last minute pull out (usually due to weight-related issues). they use them for title fights, because it can’t be a title fight if one of them misses weight. the scenario they’re most trying to avoid is where the challenger misses weight, but they go forward with a non-title fight in which the champion loses. you can imagine the marketing and scheduling headache that would create (e.g., “paper champ” will have to rematch the “uncrowned” champ for a title).

it’s just funny because it’s already been discussed on here ad nauseam over the years, yet people still seem to have this idea that the backup fighter is next in line. no. backup fighter is a safety net. if ufc has time to make a better fight, they’ll do it.

Back