Gaming headsets

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/49510-REG/Sony_MDR_7506_MDR_7506_Headphone.html

I have used these for audio recording and if you can find them on sale it will beat any gaming headsets. While professional use headsets might not have the bass the sound range and quality will be much better.

Luchabears HDs blow those MDRs out of the water at that price range unless you’re producing deliberately at low fidelity (which is a production technique because most people listen on shit equipment).

I got V Moda XS and M80 and they are the best phones I’ve ever used including some high end Sennheisers.

Bought a pair for my bitch ex but she didn’t appreciate them. They’re pricey but not nearly as expensive as comparable quality phones (2x or 3x more expensive). Buy a refurbished pair for the same money as some shit pretending to be good.

I’ve also got some Beats but those are big and nasty. Won’t complain about sound quality.

Also remember any wireless pair will always be more expensive AND sound worse than wired.

Ironically I just got an email from V Moda.

They have this immortal upgrade program.

If you have a pair of headphones that they are still selling (like mine) and they have brought a better model out - they will give you 50% towards the price of the new pair if you send them the old ones back (which they will throw away).

Source:

I djed
I produced music
I use a mini amp on my iphone to listen to music when I’m at home

Luchabears HDs blow those MDRs out of the water at that price range unless you’re producing deliberately at low fidelity (which is a production technique because most people listen on shit equipment).

Do you mean beats? I have never used them but I haven't heard good things. The sonys sound good and are the most rugged headphones I have seen for field work.

Do you mean beats? I have never used them but I haven't heard good things. The sonys sound good and are the most rugged headphones I have seen for field work.

Sennheiser HD.

Sennheiser is usually better than Sony at the same price. Build and audio.

You see a dj wearing Sony than you know he’s a poser unless it’s the really top range stuff ie $1000+.

Sennheiser HD.

Sennheiser is usually better than Sony at the same price. Build and audio.

You see a dj wearing Sony than you know he’s a poser unless it’s the really top range stuff ie $1000+.

I think they are just as good as the Sennheisers I have used

So, I returned the Astro a40 with the mix amp and bought a50s, then realized I had bought the ps4 set. So now I have to take those back. But I keep waffling on astros. I really was not that impressed. My 800 elites are growing on me. I used them to watch a movie and they blew me away. So I am keeping them. Taking the a50s back and will probably get the plantronics 800 and keep the left over money to buy a new set next year when I get the new Xbox. I do want to try the SteelSeries arctis 7. The price is right for those at $150 and I would not have the guilt of having a $300 pair of a50s, or I could just use the money to buy the new Xbox right now. I was kind of waiting for the bugs to get worked out. I just keep changing my mind asking why I need two headsets. But is it smart to buy a new system when it first comes out?

And I remember having the seinheiser convo with you years ago. Aren’t they more for pc gaming than Xbox?
It requires the adapter, yes, but that's essentially still required with the Astro A50 setup. The Sennheiser PC363D was more of a purist PC gaming headset by Sennheiser gaming, but the G4ME ONE and G4ME ZERO are both PC headsets, first.

See that's an issue, here. I was taken aback reading your description of your experience with the Astros. I believe @pinger has either the A40 or the A50 and he has told me he has phenomenally accurate audio pinpointing with those. This is generally accepted consensus. They have a large sound stage. The Astro should be offering an experience highly similar to the Turtle Beach. The Astro functions like an adapted PC gamer headset with the exception that the TXD (the "mixamp" unit) is like a special, discrete, external sound card that is made specially to harness the audio capabilities of the PS4 or Xbox One. That's why you still require the headset adapter with it. Still, it's a relatively simple setup:

1. Connect Astro A50 and TXD "mixamp" unit to PC or Mac; update firmware of each
  2. Turn off HDMI audio
  3. Change Optical audio to "Bitstream Out"
  4. Change Bitstream audio to "Dolby Digital"
If that still isn't providing directional audio cues with your console gaming then I would operate under the assumption that all similar sound solutions (revolving around an adapted PC headset and the mixamp) will yield similar results.
The most expensive Turtle Beach headsets just include their own discrete Dolby 7.1 cards into the headset itself, but that seems to be the solution that is producing the results you desire (with the Turtle Beach X800).

Frankly, I think you should buy Sennheiser and be done with inferior companies, since I'd say that 8/10 gamers who buy Sennheiser come back with a satisfaction report similar to @echohead's. Otherwise, it seems like you're just figuring out what you like best via trial and error. No better way.

It requires the adapter, yes, but that's essentially still required with the Astro A50 setup. The Sennheiser PC363D was more of a purist PC gaming headset by Sennheiser gaming, but the G4ME ONE and G4ME ZERO are both PC headsets, first.

See that's an issue, here. I was taken aback reading your description of your experience with the Astros. I believe @pinger has either the A40 or the A50 and he has told me he has phenomenally accurate audio pinpointing with those. This is generally accepted consensus. They have a large sound stage. The Astro should be offering an experience highly similar to the Turtle Beach. The Astro functions like an adapted PC gamer headset with the exception that the TXD (the "mixamp" unit) is like a special, discrete, external sound card that is made specially to harness the audio capabilities of the PS4 or Xbox One. That's why you still require the headset adapter with it. Still, it's a relatively simple setup:

1. Connect Astro A50 and TXD "mixamp" unit to PC or Mac; update firmware of each
  2. Turn off HDMI audio
If that still isn't providing directional audio cues with your console gaming then I would operate under the assumption that all similar sound solutions (revolving around an adapted PC headset and the mixamp) will yield similar results.
The most expensive Turtle Beach headsets just include their own discrete Dolby 7.1 cards into the headset itself, but that seems to be the solution that is producing the results you desire (with the Turtle Beach X800).

Frankly, I think you should buy Sennheiser and be done with inferior companies, since I'd say that 8/10 gamers who buy Sennheiser come back with a satisfaction report similar to @echohead's. Otherwise, it seems like you're just figuring out what you like best via trial and error. No better way.

Reminds me a should get a new DAC for Xmas:(

I got the hyper x cloud stinger as was in a budget. So far they're damn good.

I used to be a Sennheiser fanboy until I bought my V Moda M 100s. Hands down the best cans around $300.

You can even buy a cord with a built in boom mic for gaming.

2. Turn off HDMI audio

I saw one set of Sennheiser in the Best Buy’s bear my House. I was lead to believe that setting them up for Xbox would be a pain in the ass. I returned the Steelseries Arctis 7 for being too quiet and not wireless, and I would have gotten the 5s, but they only had the 7s. I am very happy with the plantronics rig 800s with the Dolby Atmos app included. They are as comfortable, if not more than the hyper x I loved. I find I am wearing them more than the turtle beaches.

So what do you guys recommend for $100 wired headphones only?

Oh, this won't be useful to NHB, but I thought I'd point out that I just noticed the original HyperX Cloud headset is selling for just $50 on Amazon right now with a carrier case included:
https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VRP171Q6H12Q1DHARZM3

You only find this page if you know how to navigate the bestseller charts. I searched on my phone to send the link to a friend, and the search didn't turn this item up anywhere on the front page of results. The top result was the standalone HyperX Cloud Pro, and it's $80. So you get $30 off by ADDING the carrier case. See for yourself:
https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud...d=1512039469&sr=1-1&keywords=hyperx+cloud+pro
So pissed I didn't spring on this for a friend. I saw it, assumed it wasn't a sale since it was still on several days after Cyber Monday ended, but since it was Prime only, I decided to wait until I saw another friend who lets me use his Prime in order that I could hand him the cash before using his card (I hate owing money, and always like to prepay beforehand as a courtesy since I'm being afforded one in the first place).

It was already over by the time I checked two days later when I saw the other friend. Fuck me. That was a half price HyperX Cloud, and my friend simply is never gonna buy a mic or headset despite that he needs one badly. I'm always smoking his bud, so I want to get him something nice.

I found an open box steelseries siberia x300 awhile back for $40 and took a chance on em, they work great and the sound quality is decent

Ok, so i have been looking at building a gaming set with headphones and a clip on mike. I am liking the Sennheiser 599, But there seems to be a lot to choose from. I know I want open back, but beyond that, I don’t have much else to go on. If I chicken out, I am grabbing the Astro a-50s.

I can't really rationalize spending a ton on something like this. Just am not hardcore enough of a gamer to do so. I bought an Astro A10. It was $60 and sounds great. I watched a few reviews and it mentions that it uses the same components of their higher end shit, just no mixer, which was not necessary for me.

Back