Gaming headsets

I have the Sennheiser game ones. Very comfortable, sound good, very nice open soundstage. Great positional audio for VR too.
Not tried the Zeros, but I imagine they're good as well. I just much prefer open backed cans for home use.
I prefer an open soundstage for everything except airplanes. I seem to be in the minority among gamers, though, from what I've seen online.

Yeah, they're both about $167 (+$15 for adapter) and that's the main difference to understand: GAME ONE is open-backed while GAME ZERO is closed-back.
I use Sennheiser HD 598's and a 10$ clip mic.

I also use them for my ipod.

Buying "Gaming" headsets is pretty dumb in my opinion, the sound quality is usually less than stellar and you over pay for the "GAYMING" branding.

beat me to it.
I'm not sure if that's true anymore. The internet community has wizened up to the market. The Sennheiser GAME headsets we're discussing above, for example, debuted at $250, and were $210 even on places like Amazon for a good while after dropping from that. Now you see they've been forced down to $168 for the white models.

I mean, I realize you can get a rink a dink clip-on mic, but it's $20-$50 for the better ones. When you then weigh that the Sennheiser HD 598 is $143, then you realize the GAME headsets have been forced down to a competitive value (and the HD598 are the headphones to which they are most closely analogized). I can see how many would opt to skirt the additional cable clutter that comes with adding a modded mic and just grab the pre-made headset instead.

I prefer an open soundstage for everything except airplanes. I seem to be in the minority among gamers, though, from what I've seen online.

Yeah, they're both about $167 (+$15 for adapter) and that's the main difference to understand: GAME ONE is open-backed while GAME ZERO is closed-back.

I'm not sure if that's true anymore. The internet community has wizened up to the market. The Sennheiser GAME headsets we're discussing above, for example, debuted at $250, and were $210 even on places like Amazon for a good while after dropping from that. Now you see they've been forced down to $168 for the white models.

I mean, I realize you can get a rink a dink clip-on mic, but it's $20-$50 for the better ones. When you then weigh that the Sennheiser HD 598 is $143, then you realize the GAME headsets have been forced down to a competitive value (and the HD598 are the headphones to which they are most closely analogized). I can see how many would opt to skirt the additional cable clutter that comes with adding a modded mic and just grab the pre-made headset instead.

My only real issue with the ones is that for that price it really should have a detachable cable.
There's really no excuse.

I have done quite a bit of research and reading reviews the past week, and finally decided to go with the Hyper X Cloud 2's.

I was a HARDCORE pusher of the G930's for the longest time, and their issues with connect/disconnects, beeping, and tons of other stuff have rubbed me the wrong way for the past few months now.

The Hyper X Cloud is the absolute best at their price point. You don't need to by the 2's, as they only added an offboard/inline soundcard that uses 7.1 surround and a better digital mic, the first Cloud is a great purchase.

If Logitech could get their shit together and figure out how to get their software and hardware to communicate well together without gaps in communication, I would firmly support the G933's and G930's again. Not sure how their wired versions are, but as far as bang for your buck, based on reviews and people I know who have them, the Hyper X Clouds are the way to go.

EDIT: Getting my Hyper X Cloud 2's today. Will update this post with a review of sorts in a week or so if you wish TS.

Last edited:
Mick, so oons
Yeah, he could grab the Sennheiser Game Zero ($167) and the PCV05 Combo Adapter ($15) for the Xbox One controller. Sennheiser is God. I'm glad they get the respect they do these days. Still, if he goes the route where he buys a pair of audiophile headphones, then adds the mixamp and a modmic (ex. V-Moda BOOM Mic Pro), he has an ocean of new products to consider, not just Sennheiser. I think most of the best closed-back headphones under $150 are made by other boutique companies. The Audio-Technica ATH-M50X ($135) are still the darling of the audiophile world. Meanwhile, the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X ($103) and Philips X2 Fidelio ($290) have seemed to have gained legendary status in the gamer's audiophile modding communities for the size of their sound stages. Modding either the ATH-M50X, the ATH-AD700X, or the ATH-AD500X ($79) is far cheaper with Audio Technica than getting the $300 ATH-AG1X headset.

Here's a video that is a few years old with Lewis of UnboxTherapy (the famous and highly respected tech video blogger who broke "Bendgate" with the iPhone) taking the Sennheiser Game Zero for a spin:

Mick,

So of the options I listed, which way would you lean? Astro A-40 TR M80, or Turtle Beach 420 X+ wireless.

As I said, the wireless v not wireless should not be factored in. I like wired because I don’t need batteries, I like not wired because of the freedom. What I want is to be blown away for under $150 like I was the first time I plugged in my turtle beach earforce 12s back in the day for the 360.

I am not a crazy audiophile, but I like nice shit and have some money to spend. It has to be best buy, as it is a gift card, so my options are limited. And I am picking them up tomorrow before work.

It seems every time I try to research some headphones, I get overwhelmed with a dozen fucking turtle beach models from the xo1-xo7 pro, px24, 500 x, 520, 800 x. I really do like my hyper x, but I want to try something different.

Getting my Hyper X Cloud 2's today. Will update this post with a review of sorts in a week or so if you wish TS.

So, I didn't see that you had Clouds already and the mic broke TS, so perhaps my post might be invalid, but will keep it short anyway.

As soon as I put my Cloud 2's on my head, I knew they would be my favorite headphones I have used so far. I am not an audiophile, and only care about clear transmission of my voice and voices of others coming in clear on my end. That being said, I probably didn't need the 7.1 of the Cloud 2's, but opted for them because of the upgraded digital microphone.

These headphones are crystal clear and, like well... a cloud on your head. They feel WONDERFUL. I only use headphones aprox 15-20 hours a week for gaming, if I get that much time, so will be back to bitch and moan if I have anything bad to say.

I have these in white and they are amazing. I mostly use them to listen to music at work. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

Tg8izEC.jpg

TbDqArT.png

I’ll be honest, I am not sure this goes here, but this is my audience, so here is where it goes for now.

Getting new headphones. My choices are Turtle Beach wireless 420 X+ at $129

Astro A40 TR M80-wired at $149

Turtle Beach XO Pro 7 wired at $129

Steel Series Arctis 5 at $99

Wireless vs wired does not matter to me in the sense that I want the freedom of wires. That just means I have to charge the wireless, but I am more concerned with the mic crapping out due to software issues.

I know asking brand of headphones is like asking vanilla or chocolate, and I am sure all of these sets are pretty good, or else they would not have made my list.

Honestly for the price this is the best headset.

prod_5135084323

http://www.sears.com/sades-stereo-g...gclid=CInW-emUjdACFZGIaQod5lkMlg&gclsrc=aw.ds

HyperX Cloud:

These are my headphones. They're fantastic. This is the #1 most used headset by professional gamers.

it says it works with a ps4 and xbox1, but only in stereo, question whats the best headset with best $ value that offers 7.1, fyi im using the sony gold wirless while not bad is nothing great either.

It is not a consideration, but if you do a search of best xbox one headsets, there are 3 different lists in the top ten that have the Plantronics rig flex lx in the top five headets?? I have no experience to disagree, but that kind of surprised me. I guess maybe they are trying to appeal to gamers with different price ranges, but I would think the hyper X cloud 2s would be the better sub $100 option. My mic issues aside, because I suspect my cat knocking water on the mic caused its demise. The cloud 2s make every list as well.

I was just wearing my clouds for one final session on BO3, and they are very nice and comfortable. Maybe I will pass them down to one of the guys at work that does not play online.

Still have not made up my mind, Astro A-40TR or TB 420 X+

Mick, so oons

Mick,

So of the options I listed, which way would you lean? Astro A-40 TR M80, or Turtle Beach 420 X+ wireless.

As I said, the wireless v not wireless should not be factored in. I like wired because I don’t need batteries, I like not wired because of the freedom. What I want is to be blown away for under $150 like I was the first time I plugged in my turtle beach earforce 12s back in the day for the 360.

I am not a crazy audiophile, but I like nice shit and have some money to spend. It has to be best buy, as it is a gift card, so my options are limited. And I am picking them up tomorrow before work.

It seems every time I try to research some headphones, I get overwhelmed with a dozen fucking turtle beach models from the xo1-xo7 pro, px24, 500 x, 520, 800 x. I really do like my hyper x, but I want to try something different.
I have a checkered history with Turtle Beach. While their top key products might score well in reviews they have a pretty atrocious record among the gaming community for product quality control, and that rings triply true for yours truly. For that reason I gravitate towards competing options. I would get the Astro A40's or your Steelseries Arctis 5 before Turtle Bay based on personal experience with brand history.

Of the choices discussed, I would personally opt for the Sennheiser G4ME ONE and snag that $15 adapter PCV-05 Adapter. If the gift card didn't cover this I would pay cash to cover the difference. If you don't mind wired headsets, then you won't mind that adapter. I believe you said you had the HyperX Cloud II's, or you would already have it, but that pair had USB, and not the 3.5mm audio adapter for plugging directly into the controller.

But if it's a Best Buy gift card your options might be greater than you think. Is it attached to a single physical store? Usually you can redeem these corporate gift cards at the websites which means you could get anything on BestBuy.com. That would be amazing because right now the black version of the Sennheiser G4ME ONE is actually $45 cheaper at Best Buy than Amazon right now, as the G4ME headsets are all on a current sale, and costs just $155 including free 2-day shipping. It's $12 cheaper than even Amazon's best prices for the white versions:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennhei...lack/6391017.p?id=1219217393493&skuId=6391017
Here's the adapter that plugs into the controller:
$15 Sennheiser PCV-05 Headset Adapter for Consoles

This is a significantly superior option, IMO.

Last edited:
I have a checkered history with Turtle Beach. While their top key products might score well in reviews they have a pretty atrocious record among the gaming community for product quality control, and that rings triply true for yours truly. For that reason I gravitate towards competing options. I would get the Astro A40's or your Steelseries Arctis 5 before Turtle Bay based on personal experience with brand history.

Of the choices discussed, I would personally opt for the Sennheiser G4ME ONE and snag that $15 adapter PCV-05 Adapter. If the gift card didn't cover this I would pay cash to cover the difference. If you don't mind wired headsets, then you won't mind that adapter. I believe you said you had the HyperX Cloud II's, or you would already have it, but that pair had USB, and not the 3.5mm audio adapter for plugging directly into the controller.

But if it's a Best Buy gift card your options might be greater than you think. Is it attached to a single physical store? Usually you can redeem these corporate gift cards at the websites which means you could get anything on BestBuy.com. That would be amazing because right now the black version of the Sennheiser G4ME ONE is actually $45 cheaper at Best Buy than Amazon right now, as the G4ME headsets are all on a current sale, and costs just $155 including free 2-day shipping. It's $12 cheaper than even Amazon's best prices for the white versions:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennhei...lack/6391017.p?id=1219217393493&skuId=6391017
Here's the adapter that plugs into the controller:
$15 Sennheiser PCV-05 Headset Adapter for Consoles

This is a significantly superior option, IMO.

So, a couple things happened today. I went to bestbuy to make my purchase. I tried on the turtle beaches, which I had planned to buy, but they felt tight and kind of cheap and shitty. So I don’t really care because I am now happy that I can get the astros, which I wanted, but knew the TBs were the more sensible choice. But fucking best buy has raised the price $40 since Sunday. Those fucking assholes. I asked for someone that can answer some questions, and the manager comes over. I explain my issue, and he just sort of looks at me and is fat and ugly. I really want the headphones, and I 100% intend to watch the price so that when they drop, I am getting that money back. So I dropped $238 on headphones and a two year warranty today.

I get home, set everything up, then I have to go to work. Work all day, come home and start to play. I wait for my friends to finish their game and jump in with them. Right as the first game starts, the mic quits working! Holy fucking shit! So it must be the controller, though I had someone else try my headphones with their controller and they observed the same issue. Does anything with the xbox one work? I have gone through two plug and play batteries until I gave up on that and buy batteries. The xbox dashboard interface really sucks and you can’t find anything. I asked siri on my phone to help me find where to enter a fucking code and she laughed at me for not getting a ps4. Bitch!

So I may return the astros, get another pair of hyper x, an elite controller-or maybe one of the wired ones, but not before I try these for a few days and compare them to the hyper X. I will report back. And Mick, I will consider the seinheisers if I decide to get rid of the astros

Maybe HD598? They are not exactly great but they are easy to drive and better than your typical gamer headphones.

If you are willing to invest in a more power Amp the K612 Pro are good value more resolving than the 598 with better sub bass and lower distortion! 598 is a mess in the bass.

Sennheiser make a lot of shit headphones but they also make some good headphones. I use their HD800 for gaming and they are good although a bit too unnatural for music. Outside of the 600/650/800 I wouldn't bother with Sennheiser.

So, a couple things happened today. I went to bestbuy to make my purchase. I tried on the turtle beaches, which I had planned to buy, but they felt tight and kind of cheap and shitty. So I don’t really care because I am now happy that I can get the astros, which I wanted, but knew the TBs were the more sensible choice. But fucking best buy has raised the price $40 since Sunday. Those fucking assholes. I asked for someone that can answer some questions, and the manager comes over. I explain my issue, and he just sort of looks at me and is fat and ugly. I really want the headphones, and I 100% intend to watch the price so that when they drop, I am getting that money back. So I dropped $238 on headphones and a two year warranty today.

I get home, set everything up, then I have to go to work. Work all day, come home and start to play. I wait for my friends to finish their game and jump in with them. Right as the first game starts, the mic quits working! Holy fucking shit! So it must be the controller, though I had someone else try my headphones with their controller and they observed the same issue. Does anything with the xbox one work? I have gone through two plug and play batteries until I gave up on that and buy batteries. The xbox dashboard interface really sucks and you can’t find anything. I asked siri on my phone to help me find where to enter a fucking code and she laughed at me for not getting a ps4. Bitch!

So I may return the astros, get another pair of hyper x, an elite controller-or maybe one of the wired ones, but not before I try these for a few days and compare them to the hyper X. I will report back. And Mick, I will consider the seinheisers if I decide to get rid of the astros
I would strongly urge exercising patience and buying the Sennheisers online. I thought I saw free 2-day shipping, anyway. You won't have to wait that long.

So, after last night’s revelation that it was not the headphones, I was pretty sure it was the controller, that was beat up pretty good. So I went out and bought an elite controller and it does not take long to realize that the chat is still not working . I was on the phone with comcast for an hour trying to get my NAT-type to open, to see if that would help. It did not, and I was pissed. But I am still trying and talking, but no response. I join in with some friends and it turns out, the chat is working-the random teammates were not talking back. It went out twice while I was playing, but I think the NAT to open may have fixed the issue. Now I tried this weeks ago, but was told twice on two separate calls that it would not help alleviate the issue. I know the hyper x chat does not work because I had other friends try them out, but I have nice headphones for back-ups or will sell them to someone that does not use chat.

My preliminary review of the Astros:

As for the Astro A-40 TR M80s, I will update this as I get more time on them.

But right away, they are pretty damn nice. Very comfortable, every bit as comfortable as the Hyper X.

The outside noise cancellation is not nearly as good as the Hyper X, which block everything out very nicely. The leather ear cups for the Hyper block out everything so well that I can’t hear my wife when she is trying to talk to me, and I often don’t hear her enter the room.

The preset options for the Astros are Pro, Core, and one for media. The pro and core are great for gaming, but I can’t decide which I prefer yet. I can hear footsteps and direction of fire much better than I could with the hyper X, which are still very good. Again, this is still very early in my experience with these. The media are very crisp for watching movies. It sounds like the people speaking are right next to me-I am watching 13 hours(which is a very good movie on Benghazi, a Michael bay produced movie, which was a complete surprise at how much I liked it-like black hawk down).

My biggest concern so far is that touching the thin cord that runs from the headset to the controller is very flimsy and rubber. The hyper x has a braided cord that is very solid and will not tangle. My concern with the astros is that touching the cord, or as I am typing right now, there is minor crackling. I don’t know if it is a design issue, or a potential problem. If it persists, I will return them because that makes me nervous that the wire inside is susceptible to breaking. I have a 2 year replacement plan, but I don’t want the crackling even if the cord and wires do not break.

Again, the sound is very crisp. The headsets are very comfortable and sturdy. My only concern is the wire at this point. But at $200, I shouldn’t have any concerns. But I stress that I have maybe 4 hours of play time at this point. Will update.

Mick, I got the note on the senheiser. That may be my next choice if the astros go south.

Wireless will never work better than wired. Non amped will never work better than amped.

And you are a tool if you pay more than 200 bucks for headphones for gaming. Serious headphones are for serious listening.

Back