• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

Instead of being off topic over in the other thread, I brought the convo over here.

The PSU shroud one makes the most sense, and I think that's stock. You're usually blowing 1/2 of the air of your bottom fan into the shroud, where it does no good. Your PSU already has a fan to keep it cool.
It's hard to find a case that has a conventional layout, without a PSU shroud. Gamdias makes one, but I think that's it.

Here's the final boss

Hmm, pretty cool. Can think of a few better ways to approach this. Would require a redesign of the Fractal Design Torrent case. Next flaw is anyone who uses another PCIe card(like me). That would require a motherboard redesign, lol.

Cooler Mater Hyper 620s ARGB dual tower cooler with 6 heat pipes for $35 on Amazon. That's the same price as a Thermalright Peerless Assassin.
Ships and sold by Amazon.

Microcenter has sim racing setups now. This one was on sale for "only" $8k...

BZ7DYJI.jpeg

Very accurate setup with piss bucket for long sessions (I know it's wipes).
It was neat but I think I'd just stick with a PS5 + GT7 + PSVR2 and maybe a Logitech wheel.

Microcenter has sim racing setups now. This one was on sale for "only" $8k...

BZ7DYJI.jpeg

There's no way I'd sit in that demo unit. How many sweaty fat nerds have sat in that seat, and gotten their cheeto dust covered fingers all over everything.
giphy.gif

There's no way I'd sit in that demo unit. How many sweaty fat nerds have sat in that seat, and gotten their cheeto dust covered fingers all over everything.
giphy.gif
Well like the previous poster said that white bucket is full of giant sanitized wipes.

There's a new 3DMark test, Steel Nomad. It's free for current 3DMark owners.
It's a non ray traced Direct X 12 test meant to replace Time Spy.

Well, talk about timing, @Woldog.

Looks like the R7-9700X will become the new premier Ryzen gaming-focused processor, and the X870E/X870 will be the motherboards targeting gamers. The new motherboards bring USB 4.0 as an upgrade most meaningfully.

AMD claims an average 16% uptick in IPC performance with a range from 10%-35% depending on the workload. That doesn't sound exaggerated, the way Intel tends to exaggerate in marketing, but it also means it will be interesting to see how the vanilla 9700X performs against the 7800X3D out of the gate in gaming roundups like TPU's that appear to bench mostly games that benefit from the 3D cache (remember, their most recent rolls show a 16.9% uplift of the 7800X3D over the 7700X at 720p).

AMD 800-Series Chipset Update: Introducing X870 as the Successor to B650E

1717414804614.png

New AM4 processors too.

f9a32641-554f-41c9-95b7-f239773ff2b7_text.gif

Well, talk about timing, @Woldog.

Looks like the R7-9700X will become the new premier Ryzen gaming-focused processor, and the X870E/X870 will be the motherboards targeting gamers. The new motherboards bring USB 4.0 as an upgrade most meaningfully.

AMD claims an average 16% uptick in IPC performance with a range from 10%-35% depending on the workload. That doesn't sound exaggerated, the way Intel tends to exaggerate in marketing, but it also means it will be interesting to see how the vanilla 9700X performs against the 7800X3D out of the gate in gaming roundups like TPU's that appear to bench mostly games that benefit from the 3D cache (remember, their most recent rolls show a 16.9% uplift of the 7800X3D over the 7700X at 720p).

AMD 800-Series Chipset Update: Introducing X870 as the Successor to B650E

View attachment 1046258

B840 no CPU OC.

dislike-boo.gif

Meh, who cares. All the latest CPUs are pushed right up against the limit out of the box, now, past which it makes no sense to give them any more juice as the heat and power consumption skyrocket while the performance barely inches up. PBO was better for gaming than manual overclocking with the last AMD gen, only pushed up performance ~1%-4%, usually, and CPUs like the 7800X3D had artificial frequency caps, anyway, to protect the more expensive CPUs, so what's the point of budget overclocking at all.

If anything, ironically, no OCing on the lower B boards might turn out to be a good thing, because the "E" was sort of a glorified marketing failure to upsell the boards with more PCIe (specifically Gen5) lanes, and that didn't catch on with the less knowledgeable buyers because it isn't easy to convey; not that they've ever tried really simplifying practical motherboard differences. If the know-just-enough-to-think-they-know-everything Redditors of the world get bamboozled into caring about OCing it might drive down the cost of B840 motherboards by suppressing demand.

A rare featured sale from Bingspam that appears to actually be good. Prior to today, the best deal ever seen on Amazon for this star Alienware eSports monitor from Amazon directly was $496 in November of last year, and the best ever from a third party seller is $475 which it just hit a few weeks ago after dropping from above $500. But today Dell's in-house sale of $399 gives it the the best price ever, and directly from the manufacturer. The real Amazon price matched the $700 MSRP when it launched in March last year, so this is a pretty big price drop after not much time on what is the latest and greatest in non-OLED technology.

Alienware AW2524H 500Hz, $399​

monitor-alienware-aw2524h-black-gallery-2.psd

• 24.5" IPS
  • 1920x1080 (1080p)
  • 480 Hz (500 Hz w/overclocking)
  • 1ms Response Time (0.5ms Min - 5.5ms Max; testing shows ~1.8ms-2.2ms Average)
  • 8 Bits + FRC Color
  • 99% sRGB
  • 390 nits sustained brightness; 470 nits peak brightness
  • DisplayHDR 400 [VESA Standard]
  • NVIDIA G-Sync (1-500Hz range supported) / AMD Freesync Premium
  • NVIDIA ULMB (up to 360MHz)
  • NVIDIA Reflex
  • VESA Mount

Rtings: Dell Alienware AW2524H Monitor Review
DisplayNinja: Dell Alienware AW2524H Monitor Review

The Noctua NHD15 G2 is finally shipping at the end of June.
New fans, bumping up the heat pipes from 6 to 8, etc.
MSRP is $150!

You expect gamers to properly sanitize something?

Microcenter near me introduced their sim cockpit demo during quarantine. So the sanitation wipes are probably a layover.

Next part is a weird conversation, lol. Dozen of times ive been to Microcenter everyone from customers to employees there i'd describe as clean. Employees do a phenomenal job at keeping the store looking brand new. Its not like the store is attracting the FGC crowd.

Back