Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

Same brand. Gigabyte B650 Gaming AX (part of the bundle and currently OOS) and Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX (18 in stock). Both are $200.
I'm surprised those MoBos are the same price. The Elite AX is a full tier above in terms of class.

I'm surprised those MoBos are the same price. The Elite AX is a full tier above in terms of class.
I think it's only $10 more on PCPP. But yeah that's surprising since the Aorus has better VRMs.

i didnt know that PNY still made cards. i have an old pny verto geforce 4 kicking around somewhere in my shed. its got a whopping 64 MB of vram and it will run unreal tournament 2003 like a dream! if you can find a motherboard with an agp slot and an OS old enough to run it.

half decent card for its time. though despite having more then the recommended specs, i remember struggling to run GTA 3 on it at 1024x768.

Last edited:
No one else cares but I wish reviewers would benchmark non-K 1_600/1_700/1_900 Intel CPUs with the included coolers (yes, there is a 13900/14900 non K). Since they've done it with the non-X Ryzen 7000 CPUs.

No one else cares but I wish reviewers would benchmark non-K 1_600/1_700/1_900 Intel CPUs with the included coolers (yes, there is a 13900/14900 non K). Since they've done it with the non-X Ryzen 7000 CPUs.

You can find those types of benchmarks, but they're not going to be from the big guys like Gamers Nexus. They're going to be from lesser known guys, but you can watch 4-5 videos, and see if they come to the same conclusion.

The stock cooler should be good for any of the lower end locked i5's, but I'd look towards something aftermarket for anything higher.
You don't need to spend $80+ for a cooler anymore. This Thermalright Peerless Assassin for $33 will hang with high-end air coolers. If you're on a strict budget, this cooler is $18 and performs well.

The 14900KS is supposedly coming out this week.

<{JustBleed}>

$400 case?
The AIO is overkill for a 7800X3D. Unless you just don't want air cooling.
The choice of 4090 is good, it's on the highest tier for 4090s (along with the Asus Strix). You just missed out on getting a FE for $1600 on Nvidia's store though.

$400 case?
The AIO is overkill for a 7800X3D. Unless you just don't want air cooling.
The choice of 4090 is good, it's on the highest tier for 4090s (along with the Asus Strix). You just missed out on getting a FE for $1600 on Nvidia's store though.
Appreciate it.

My worry is fitting the card into whatever case I have. The AIO was just because it looks cool. I should probably go for functionality

Appreciate it.

My worry is fitting the card into whatever case I have. The AIO was just because it looks cool. I should probably go for functionality
You can get something like a Thermalright Phantom Spirit Evo for around $40.

Your GPU is 336mm in length. The Corsair 4000D Airflow (currently on sale for $90, usually $105 otherwise) can fit a 360mm GPU.

I called Microcenter and asked them if I could substitute an Aorus Elite AX for the Gaming AX in their 7800X3D bundle (they sell both mobos for the same price). I even offered to pay them an extra $30 plus sales tax but they still refused.

<Oku01>

@WhiteMousse You could also get the MATX version of the Aorus Elite AX for $30 cheaper if you don't mind the look of having a MATX mobo in an ATX case.

Microsoft almost made a terabyte memory SSD. They invested in the chip startup an could have been upgraded to 4 terabytes. This was years ago crazy.

00d9956bc89ed3588287fdabbc1dd3df

@WhiteMousse You could also get the MATX version of the Aorus Elite AX for $30 cheaper if you don't mind the look of having a MATX mobo in an ATX case.
That has a lesser VRM and fewer total ports. It also cramps things up when they don't have to be that way given the case.

@WhiteMousse. I see no issues, and think it's great as a premium build. FYI, though, you can step up to the Aorus Pro AX for the next step up in VRM robustness without the price getting out of control (because above that you're talking about the Ultra, Master, or Tachyon, or equivalents from the other manufacturers, which all come at a steep luxury). Although I don't think you need a better VRM than the one in the Elite AX. It's more than enough. Just throwing out an FYI.

That has a lesser VRM and fewer total ports. It also cramps things up when they don't have to be that way given the case.

@WhiteMousse. I see no issues, and think it's great as a premium build. FYI, though, you can step up to the Aorus Pro AX for the next step up in VRM robustness without the price getting out of control (because above that you're talking about the Ultra, Master, or Tachyon, or equivalents from the other manufacturers, which all come at a steep luxury). Although I don't think you need a better VRM than the one in the Elite AX. It's more than enough. Just throwing out an FYI.
I don't think the Pro is worth the extra $65-$70 when it performed exactly the same as the Elite.

I don't think the Pro is worth the extra $65-$70 when it performed exactly the same as the Elite.
I didn't check Newegg. I saw the +$40 MSRP on my spreadsheet. Not too crazy. I don't know what performance assessment you're referencing, I was just eyeballing the VRM specifications, but yeah, as I said, even for the 7800X3D, I strongly doubt there will be any difference because the Aorus Elite's VRM should be more than enough to sustain turbos in perpetuity even with PBO Max on without any kind of throttling.

I didn't check Newegg. I saw the +$40 MSRP on my spreadsheet. Not too crazy. I don't know what performance assessment you're referencing, I was just eyeballing the VRM specifications, but yeah, as I said, even the 7800X3D, I strongly doubt there will be any difference because the Aorus Elite's VRM should be more than enough to sustain turbos in perpetuity even with PBO Max on without any kind of throttling.

Nice. I'm surprised the 90A in the Pro didn't produce at least a 1C difference. But boy, if there is anything that chart is conveying, it's that Gigabyte is shitting on competitors when it comes to cooling build quality.