• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

I'm still looking for a good 48-50 inch TV for my PC.
I had this 1080ti for 2 years now and never sen the full 4K effects.

Only Saints Row 4 let me play on my secundairy 4K TV
Those LG Nanocell models look good to me : 120hz

I heard OLED and QLED are grainy for old avi's and mpegs
They don't upscale well appearantly
Anyone know about his ?

I'm still looking for a good 48-50 inch TV for my PC.
I had this 1080ti for 2 years now and never sen the full 4K effects.

Only Saints Row 4 let me play on my secundairy 4K TV
Those LG Nanocell models look good to me : 120hz

I heard OLED and QLED are grainy for old avi's and mpegs
They don't upscale well appearantly
Anyone know about his ?

Normally to make the most of the upscalers they normally are best used on 720p/1080p. Anything lower really isn't going to look that good at all especially if you take something like a 320p file your pretty much enlarging it 6x it's original resolution.

Normally to make the most of the upscalers they normally are best used on 720p/1080p. Anything lower really isn't going to look that good at all especially if you take something like a 320p file your pretty much enlarging it 6x it's original resolution.
I think he's asking if there is some obscure technical inferiority inherent to OLED screens vs. other LED screens in terms of degradation to the image when outputting an acutely upscaled image.

I'd never seen anything about this, but I don't know. I fear what I may not know, here. Could be a very esoteric, obscure thing to do with coding. All processors operate the same, whether in computers, or the TV itself, but I suppose the upscaling protocol might be different with OLED depending on what instructions are sent to the individual pixels. OLED have four subpixels, after all, rather than three (like VA panels). Maybe the difference isn't there, but somehow woven into old AVIs being written in a way that doesn't communicate a proper brightness accommodating the perfect black potential of OLED, and they decided those old files are obsolete, so they didn't waste resources developing a technology to properly recalibrate the signal.

I simply don't know the answer to this question.

I think he's asking if there is some obscure technical inferiority inherent to OLED screens vs. other LED screens in terms of degradation to the image when outputting an acutely upscaled image.

I'd never seen anything about this, but I don't know. I fear what I may not know, here. Could be a very esoteric, obscure thing to do with coding. All processors operate the same, whether in computers, or the TV itself, but I suppose the upscaling protocol might be different with OLED depending on what instructions are sent to the individual pixels. OLED have four subpixels, after all, rather than three (like VA panels). Maybe the difference isn't there, but somehow woven into old AVIs being written in a way that doesn't communicate a proper brightness accommodating the perfect black potential of OLED, and they decided those old files are obsolete, so they didn't waste resources developing a technology to properly recalibrate the signal.

I simply don't know the answer to this question.
Unrelated but have you seen this?

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/324961-the-amazon-mmo-new-worlds-beta-is-frying-rtx-3090-gpus

Yeah, I did, I LOL'd. Apparently NVIDIA is replacing GPUs destroyed by the game.

I'm not hoodwinked. Cheap attempt by them to win goodwill after they "accidentally" leaked the unrestricted driver for the special GPU they released that throttled cryptomining. Oh, so you're keeping your customers happy who are so rich they can effectively throw away an extra $1000 on no improvement in practical performance. Yeah, I can tell this is really coming from the bottom of your altruistic heart, NVIDIA.

Yeah, I did, I LOL'd. Apparently NVIDIA is replacing GPUs destroyed by the game.

I'm not hoodwinked. Cheap attempt by them to win goodwill after they "accidentally" leaked the unrestricted driver for the special GPU they released that throttled cryptomining. Oh, so you're keeping your customers happy who are so rich they can effectively throw away an extra $1000 on no improvement in practical performance. Yeah, I can tell this is really coming from the bottom of your altruistic heart, NVIDIA.
JayzTwoCents is saying other cards are affected but he's not providing any sources as far as I can see.

JayzTwoCents is saying other cards are affected but he's not providing any sources as far as I can see.
Even if there are none, Amazon obviously has a lot to learn about game development.

Even if there are none, Amazon obviously has a lot to learn about game development.
But how much can the blame be put on EVGA since those seem to be the ones most affected?

But how much can the blame be put on EVGA since those seem to be the ones most affected?
I don't know. Drivers are the same for every AIC, right? Supplied by NVIDIA. Maybe there is some flaw in EVGA's hardware design so that the fans trip and stop when they shouldn't, when they're told the same thing all other 3090's are, but I haven't even skimmed the articles. I just saw the headlines. I haven't seen any other game in existence incur this effect.

The fact NVIDIA is replacing the cards is maybe the most convincing indicator that they are to blame, somehow. Because, unless my speculation is correct, and it's an empty gesture to win goodwill, that would suggest they realize the blame somehow lies with them on some level.

I don't know. Drivers are the same for every AIC, right? Supplied by NVIDIA. Maybe there is some flaw in EVGA's hardware design so that the fans trip and stop when they shouldn't, when they're told the same thing all other 3090's are, but I haven't even skimmed the articles. I just saw the headlines. I haven't seen any other game in existence incur this effect.

The fact NVIDIA is replacing the cards is maybe the most convincing indicator that they are to blame, somehow. Because, unless my speculation is correct, and it's an empty gesture to win goodwill, that would suggest they realize the blame somehow lies with them on some level.
I believe EVGA's higher end cards have custom PCBs, they had some issues a few years ago with their 1080ti FTW cards in regards to cooling and they had to release revised editions.

I believe EVGA's higher end cards have custom PCBs, they had some issues a few years ago with their 1080ti FTW cards in regards to cooling and they had to release revised editions.
Yes, that's the reasonable suspicion. I suppose the mystery is why, then, only this software triggers it. After all, it's not like those PCB's haven't been stress tested.

Had an AIO CPU liquid cooler malfunction on me over the weekend. It came preinstalled on my iBuyPower PC. I was seeing temps of up to 115 C while idling... So if I tried to do anything at all the CPU reduced it's operating speed to protect itself.

Installed a new Corsair system and it's working great now.

Any insight on why, how this kind of thing could happen? I've only had this PC for just under 2 years now.

Any insight on why, how this kind of thing could happen? I've only had this PC for just under 2 years now.
Could of been anything. Pump could of gone completely out or been on the way out, one of the connections could of been loose (resulting in either a failure or just enough fluid leaking out to create an air bubble), thermal paste might of been applied half ass during assembly and simply needed a reapplication.

Are videocard prices coming down finally?
They have been coming down over the past month, pretty steeply. A lot of ebay sellers are rattled. However that decline seems to have plateaued. Some of the panic whores on youtube have said that it's slowly going back up, but I don't know if that's the case.
One of the reasons I picked this generation however, instead of just waiting for 1.3 years, is because I do believe that NVidia/AMD will raise their MSRP next round. The people have spoken: they are retarded. And Nvida certainly wants a piece of that retarded pie. My thinking is, there's no way they let scalpers get 300% again.

Now that is just my forecast of things, I could be completely wrong. But having just come out of the race, scouring all channels of purchase, I can tell you for certain, right now:

1) StockX is the way to go usually. That is how I got my GPU at retail. Also you can buy Ryzen 7 5800X's for like $300.00 depending on the time of the week

2) Ebay is worth keeping an eye on. 90% of the time prices are ridiculous but there are people who put up stuff that is reasonable, sometimes you can get one for only $100.00 - $200.00 over MSRP. Of course that's not good, but relative to the market right now it's a lot better than most alternatives.

3) I have never, ever won a NewEgg shuffle. Take that for what you will. RNG is RNG. So maybe you'll have better luck, and you should of course always, always enter. Hell I got my card and I'm still entering every day. Because it can't hurt. You have nothing to lose

Remember not to lose hope. Statistically you have a better chance than I did- it's a chance that gets better every day as the market continues to move towards saturation. It sucks I truly empathize.

But I don't recommend buying a scalped price-- if prices do tank, you'll be left with a massive amount of regret. If that kind of thing just doesn't matter to you, you might be looking at a different situation

Their saying Dell for whatever reason f'd up an knew about this power requirement since 2017 an did nothing to address it. Other companies have already made the change an meet the new standard.

Had an AIO CPU liquid cooler malfunction on me over the weekend. It came preinstalled on my iBuyPower PC. I was seeing temps of up to 115 C while idling... So if I tried to do anything at all the CPU reduced it's operating speed to protect itself.

Installed a new Corsair system and it's working great now.

In general liquid cpu cooling is more unreliable than air cooling devices in the same price range due to how much more unreliable a water pump is than a fan at the same price range. It also adds a massive amount of risk and the only people who see any benefit from it are people who want to extreme overlock. 2 years is right on the mark for most water pumps to fail btw.

Back