• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gamestop Sucks.

It’s done that way so they have a case on the shelf to show they have the game in stock. If it’s the last copy, then that’s what you get.

Yeah, I've actually talked to somebody at the store about that being the reason.. I just think there's gotta be a better way than that. New should mean actually new. You should be the first person to be opening it if you're paying full price.

Yeah, I've actually talked to somebody at the store about that being the reason.. I just think there's gotta be a better way than that. New should mean actually new. You should be the first person to be opening it if you're paying full price.

...so this thread actually dumbed back to 'used doesn't mean it's been used, just opened?'

I believe Japanese video game stores have color copies of the front and back in a plastic lamination. Even Target has an actual unopened copy in a floppy plastic case in the front so people can look at the back cover.

Costco and Sam's Club have a thick cardboard display card where I'm assuming you can read the product info and take that card to the cashier to purchase without leaving the actual product vulnerable to shoplifting. No cards probably means out of stock. Simple.

I believe Japanese video game stores have color copies of the front and back in a plastic lamination. Even Target has an actual unopened copy in a floppy plastic case in the front so people can look at the back cover.

Costco and Sam's Club have a thick cardboard display card where I'm assuming you can read the product info and take that card to the cashier to purchase without leaving the actual product vulnerable to shoplifting. No cards probably means out of stock. Simple.
No cards can also means some retarded set of kids made off with all the cards. There's a reason why a lot of stores stopped doing that in the 90's.

I got dead island riptide and decided I didn't want it the next day after finally playing the 1st one. They told me that I had to open it and bring it back the next day. Some weird return policy bullshit because they didn't know if it was stolen. I told em I got it the day prior and have a receipt and a membership. Got told it didn't matter. So I took it and sold it to a buddy for 50. They were gonna have me come back and treat it like a used game.
Sorry, but that sounds like bullshit. If it's not opened or if it has the seal /sticker on it, you should be able to refund that shit in 7 days. In fact, their page says you can return things within 30 days if it isn't opened. Link: https://care.gamestop.com/store-return-policy
I understand that not everyone has a great time shopping there, but people don't need to embellish their experiences until their false.

That guy messed up. With a receipt you can return it. I have gotten a PS4 game before as a Christmas gift that I tried to return that the giver told me he got it at GameStop. GameStop made me open it before they would take it back.. so without a receipt they want it opened ...
it’s so people don’t buy games at lower prices/ sales, at other stores and return them for full price and cash at gamestop

They're just lazy. The new discs are in the drawer, and they plop them into cases. I wouldn't worry about it. Shit, enjoy the experience, because these stores are gonna be dead in like 3 years. They're probably making more money off of the collectible trinkets they sell.

These gaming stores are pretty much fucked. Next gen will kill them. Digital is the future. They're all gonna get Blockbuster'd.
I've watched our local EB Games (Canadian Gamestop) change from a sprawling store with rows and rows of hardcopy games for all systems, to a merch-peddling apparel outlet with a selection of hardcopy games.

I'm a bit of a collector (Nothing serious) so I always buy the disc copy of a game to have on the shelf, but I can see that it's going straight-digital DLC in the near future. Stores like EB Games/Game Stop will be reduced to selling Wii-U belt buckles and Call of Duty plastic straws, but I'll guarantee you there will be a market. I personally go out of my way to get a Call of Duty T-shirt every year for whatever the latest edition is, even though I never really bother wearing them that often.

It’s done that way so they have a case on the shelf to show they have the game in stock. If it’s the last copy, then that’s what you get.
huge if true.

Oh...

...My...

God...

Why would you return God of War?

<Deported1>
I think its time we blew this thread up

:: nuclear launch Detected ::

giphy.gif

Anyway i still go to gamestop sometimes, If i am bored,and have nothing to do,and i pass by one,I can peruse its wares. Sadly,going to the store for ANYTHING you cant download are going the way of the dinosaur. Stores never have anything that great. Interwebs is where it is at.

Me:I just bought a new switch!

Internet: (voiced by Patrice O'Neal) Good for you asshole,did you know you can mod that shit,and play every goddamned game ever created on it,forever ever? ya didnt did ya? SEE HOW I HOOKED YALL UP??!?! Remember when you did that on the PSP,that small,obsolete piece of crap. WELCOME TO THE NEW AGE NUGGA. This screen is like DOUBLE THE SIZE.Dont go to the STORE. DONT EVER DO THAT.

patrice-oneal_240.jpg

They always have plastic on them if they are new .... at the ones around here anyways . Why would they go through and open all the games .. seems made up

Every "new" game I've ever bought from them have come out a bin where the game was separated from the game case. They put empty game cases on the display shelf and you bring that empty case to the register to buy the game. They open a bin, grab a disc, and put it in the display case. New or used it doesn't matter...same shit.

As uncomfortable as it makes me feel in terms of the disc not actually being new, every disc has looked in perfect condition. This being said I haven't been to a GameStop in years. They amount of sales pressure was just uncomfortable...for fucks sake give me a few minutes to peruse the 100+ games on the shelf before you start badgering me incessantly with irrelevant questions. And holy fuck the way they push Call of Duty is uncomfortable...I didn't want COD but me telling them NO 15x didn't stop them (3 people) from still trying to sell it to me.

Every "new" game I've ever bought from them have come out a bin where the game was separated from the game case. They put empty game cases on the display shelf and you bring that empty case to the register to buy the game. They open a bin, grab a disc, and put it in the display case. New or used it doesn't matter...same shit.

As uncomfortable as it makes me feel in terms of the disc not actually being new, every disc has looked in perfect condition. This being said I haven't been to a GameStop in years. They amount of sales pressure was just uncomfortable...for fucks sake give me a few minutes to peruse the 100+ games on the shelf before you start badgering me incessantly with irrelevant questions. And holy fuck the way they push Call of Duty is uncomfortable...I didn't want COD but me telling them NO 15x didn't stop them (3 people) from still trying to sell it to me.
That's weird. In all my yrs at gamestop's no one ever bothered me.

That's weird. In all my yrs at gamestop's no one ever bothered me.

It might just be the location near my house, but the second someone walks in the door they're swarmed by the employees with questions and trying to push the weekly or monthly flyer into their hands. It was extremely annoying and the last time I went in there I left after about 5 minutes of being pestered. Multiple times I told them I just wanted to look around, but they were asking what kind of game / what system, and wouldn't give me any peace. I dropped the flyers they shoved into my hands on the floor and stormed out.

This was probably 4 years ago and I haven't, nor will I ever, go back to a Gamestop. I have a much better buying experience using the Xbox Live store as I can see clips, reviews, screenshots, and ratings of the game, rather than non-gameplay footage on the back of the box.

This was probably 4 years ago and I haven't, nor will I ever, go back to a Gamestop. I have a much better buying experience using the Xbox Live store as I can see clips, reviews, screenshots, and ratings of the game, rather than non-gameplay footage on the back of the box.
wtf

i can't fathom using EITHER of the above as criteria for buying a game.

I must have it easy at my gamestop lol, they don't bother or try to upsell like crazy. If it's the final game and it's the shelf box where it's the opened game behind the counter they'll ask if I still want to purchase that one or they can order me a sealed copy.

Yeah I’ve never had an issue, they ask if they can help you with anything then say “well let me know” and walk away. I never bought a new game that was open from them. I just bought cod for Xbox and a Nintendo switch game last week... both in plastic. And I returned the switch game no issues .(Christmas present person already had the game) They only keep open boxes for used games . At the three stores around me anyways

Yeah I’ve never had an issue, they ask if they can help you with anything then say “well let me know” and walk away. I never bought a new game that was open from them. I just bought cod for Xbox and a Nintendo switch game last week... both in plastic. And I returned the switch game no issues .(Christmas present person already had the game) They only keep open boxes for used games . At the three stores around me anyways

That's crazy and such a different experience than the one near my house. Maybe this is why the gaming community is so for and against Gamestop as it seems like it's night and day depending upon which location you visit.

Back