• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Games that get all meta on the player?

AristotleAmadopolis

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was playing Super Hot for the first time. Fun gameplay but i also found the story interesting in that the story incorporates you, the player, as part of it.

SUPERHOT-MIND-CONTROL-DELETE-PC-Game-Free-Download.jpg

Reminded me of the time many years ago i was playing MGS Sons of Liberty and it got all mind-fucky near the end when you’re running through the tunnel and the game starts talking to you. It was wild especially since i was playing late at night and was tired.
maxresdefault.jpg

what other games can you think of that do something similar to what i described?

interesting. do you remember how they incorporate it into the game story?
allow me to interject good sirs if i may, The first assasin creed was cool how they explained the game was like a time travel simulation that was activated through your genetic code you went back and relived the life of your ancestor and the guys ancestor was a super badass assassin and then he would come out of the simulation and then be like wtf, kind of like the rick and morty bit at the arcade where you live the life of the guy and see how far you get but that was satirical and purposefully lame for effect whereas assassins creed legit pretty badass in a lot of ways especially went it first hit the market and it was fresh

allow me to interject good sirs if i may, The first assasin creed was cool how they explained the game was like a time travel simulation that was activated through your genetic code you went back and relived the life of your ancestor and the guys ancestor was a super badass assassin and then he would come out of the simulation and then be like wtf, kind of like the rick and morty bit at the arcade where you live the life of the guy and see how far you get but that was satirical and purposefully lame for effect whereas assassins creed legit pretty badass in a lot of ways especially went it first hit the market and it was fresh

for sure. i thought the story was/is interesting. sci-fi while at the same time a dive into past. very cool stuff. i just dont remember the player ever being actively involved in the story of the game. wish they put more effort into the movie - it was a stinker.

I was playing Super Hot for the first time. Fun gameplay but i also found the story interesting in that the story incorporates you, the player, as part of it.

SUPERHOT-MIND-CONTROL-DELETE-PC-Game-Free-Download.jpg

Reminded me of the time many years ago i was playing MGS Sons of Liberty and it got all mind-fucky near the end when you’re running through the tunnel and the game starts talking to you. It was wild especially since i was playing late at night and was tired.
maxresdefault.jpg

what other games can you think of that do something similar to what i described?
That MGS2 ending was crazy at the time.

I liked how Superhot incorporated you as the player as well. That's what Omicron the Nomad Soul does right off the bat. Kay'l asks you, the player sitting in front of the screen, to join his world. Made me think of the last Star Fighter film.

In Omicron you posses different bodies on death, but spend the much of the first hours as Kay'l (I wish we always stayed as him). You can even bang his wife by pretending to be him.

This was one of the first open world games, putting you into a living breathing city. The artwork held it up for a long time, it was mind blowing back then.

it's amazing on one hand, and janky as hell on the other, but the first 2/3 or so were special. Quantic Dream ran out of money or something, so the later parts were rushed, which you can feel. They have long teased returning to this universe, which I hope they do!

David Bowie does the soundtrack, and even a concert in game,

Here's the opening segment timestamped

Once you take control of your character, you get this awesome intro (incredible for the time) of the city with Bowie repurposing his New Angels of Promise song.

Maybe I’m mistaken, but wasn’t that kind of a theme of the old Ultima games? You played the Avatar, and you were supposed to be a human playing a video game and then get pulled into the mythical world of the games.

I was thinking about all those "animus" parts earlier cuz they rarely show up now. Im glad they dont make you go through all that stuff in the later games cuz it was a bit of a drag but dig that they had it in the earlier games to make things interesting.

You should try Super Hot VR if you can. That really brings the gameplay and whole experience to a new level.

You should try Super Hot VR if you can. That really brings the gameplay and whole experience to a new level.

yeah i realized it probably gets super weird in vr. Maybe a bit too black mirror for me ha. Im feeling odd just playing it regular. Vr + drugs + super hot probably will really mess with ur mind a

Maybe the most memorable 4th wall breaking thing done in a game.

I also really like Spec Ops and how it recontextualises everything by the end of the game. YOU couldve stopped at any time, YOU thought it was a game etc. I think no game has done it better.

220px-MorrowindCOVER.jpg

So this game is a bit clever. On paper it doesn't seem like much but the more you delve into the lore of stuff like Vivec's sermons and whatnot you discover some deep shit like chim, layers of reality to the universe that end up with the player being a god figure, tonal architecture, and countless others.

For a while I took a deep delve into TES lore and it felt like the background was powered by a mushroom session and acid trip all in one. They've kind of toned down the lore in the more recent games and have a more loose affiliation with the guy who designed most lore (Kirkbride) but it can still get weird even in Skyrim if you start getting into some time stuff. Oh yeah speaking of time, several times thought out the series's history time has "broken" and multiple histories all have happened at the same time. Reality is a pretty loose term in lore.

All in all though it's very unique and kudos to Kirkbride for apparently mixing edibles with work.

Last edited:
220px-MorrowindCOVER.jpg

So this game is a bit clever. On paper it doesn't seem like much but the more you delve into the lore of stuff like Vivec's sermons and whatnot you discover some deep shit like chim, layers of reality to the universe that end up with the player being a god figure, tonal architecture, and countless others.

For a while I took a deep delve into TES lord and it felt like the background was powered by a mushroom session and acid trip all in one. They've kind of toned down the lore in the more recent games and have a more loose affiliation with the guy who designed most lore (Kirkbride) but it can still get weird even in Skyrim if you start getting into some time stuff. Oh yeah speaking of time, several times thought out the series's history time has "broken" and multiple histories all have happened at the same time. Reality is a pretty loose term in lore.

All in all though it's very unique and kudos to Kirkbride for apparently mixing edibles with work.

that's awesome. there is certain media out there that you just have this feeling the creators most likely tripped balls. adventure time is an example as a cartoon.

Back