Games for my wife, a none gamer

Seconding Stardew Valley.

My recommendation: Steamworld Dig 2

Good call.

Steamworld Dig 1 and 2
South Park - Stick of Truth (this is the game that got my wife into playing games)
Stardew Valley
Pokemon Let's Go
BattleBlock Theater
Costume Quest 1 & 2
A Hat in Time
Transistor

Those are all games that my wife has played through, and she's not a particularly talented gamer.

I would recommend Ark, but games been broken since last DLC update...dam shame because my partner and kids love it

lolz @ binding of isaac.

wtf

i mean, it's a great game and i love it, but it seems to be a strange choice for this.
Everybody digs it. Difficult to master, but simple controls that can be grasped in less than a minute. Fun, disarmingly macabre cartoonish graphics. It's a de-stresser.

After all, you'd earmark this, but saying nothing about the TWD recommendation? Girls like zombies, too, my friend. Calibrate the sensors accordingly.

Get some arty stuff like Journey. I highly recommend the Unfinished Swan. She'll dig that for sure. Beautiful game.

i mean, i don't really consider the telltale "games" to be actual games, but that's why they might be great for dumbass gf's who want to pretend they're "gamers."

i can't really imagine n00bs playing isaac. haha

@Madmick

i mean, i don't really consider the telltale "games" to be actual games, but that's why they might be great for dumbass gf's who want to pretend they're "gamers."

i can't really imagine n00bs playing isaac. haha

@Madmick
Why? Noobs who don't consider themselves gamers are the same types who play Pac-Man at the arcade. It's equally easy to learn, but even more difficult to master. It's like all the runner games on phones.

Almost every game getting recommended falls into the Top 5 genres listed in that major survey report I attached. This one is a bit unique in that it really conforms more to that old 80's arcade style of game, and I liked it for that reason. Notice the genres that are less popular with women aren't necessarily ones that lack a high difficulty ceiling. The more competitive or steeper the learning curve becomes the less likely they are to play.

(1) Match 3
Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign
Tumblestone

(2) Family/Farm Sim
Stardew Valley
The Sims 4
Farming Simulator 19

Animal Crossing

(3) Casual Puzzle
Unravel 2
Plants vs. Zombies
Portal 2
Witness
Inside
LIMBO
Tetris Effect
Dr. Mario

(4) Atmospheric Exploration
Journey
Flower
Unfinished Swan

(5) Interactive Drama
Life is Strange
The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones
, or any other Telltale game
What Remains of Edith Finch
Her Story
Doki Doki Literature Club
Last Day of June

The other recommendations in here that don't neatly fit into any of the above all seems to be platformers or adventure RPGs that contain one or more elements of the above, and are more likely to have those "high fantasy" graphics, or just cuter, more kiddie graphics. Probably why we steer towards this genre.

Playlink games (Chimparty)
South Park: Stick of Truth
South Park: Fractured but Whole
Overcooked 1 & 2
Steamworld Dig 1 & 2
Pokemon Let's Go
BattleBlock Theater
Costume Quest 1 & 2
A Hat in Time
Transistor
Child of Light
Littlebigplanet
Ni No Kuni II
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Mark of the Ninja: Remastered Edition
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty!
Hollow Knight
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Spyro Trilogy
Sonic Mania
Megaman 11

The recommendation that makes the least sense in this thread to me are Bulletstorm and Soma.

i guess i looked at it from the perspective of being on an mma forum where someone made a thread about games his gf might want to play.

ie: she didn't seem to care to look, herself... and he didn't seem to know much, himself.

ergo, bullet hell roguelike seems like an odd choice. especially since it's a legit good game.

but yes, other recommendations were also bad. like horror games for someone who thought tlou was too intense/violent...

I sold my PS4 got $200 last summer but decided to get one again when the black Friday deals came out.
My wife showed so interest in games, so I bought a few things to see what she'd like. So far, the two Lego games she's played have worked out well. She's enjoying them.
I tried The Last of Us, but it's too intense and too violent.

So besides Lego games, what is a good game for someone who isn't a gamer? Something not super intense, but might still have a story and/or fun, intuitive gameplay?

If she likes Lego games, she'll probably love Minecraft. Lots of creativity, exploring, and world building, very fun. I didn't think it would be that great but a co-worker got me into it and it's one of my favorite games ever, infinite replay value. They have it for the PS4 as well.

Minecraft-servers-Mineplex-2.jpg

minecraft-xbox-360-edition-skin-pack-1-2.jpg

Last edited:
Gal*gun 2
Gal*gun double peace
Natsurio high school
Senran kagura
Megadimension Neptunia VII
Nights of azure

i guess i looked at it from the perspective of being on an mma forum where someone made a thread about games his gf might want to play.
It's odd, then, that after three posts you remain the only poster in the thread who hasn't nominated a single title. If your "perspective" was to be useless you're doing a spiffy job.

For non-gamers I highly recommend Slime Rancher, it's fun and very distressing. If she can handle a little building and exploration Subnautica is incredible. Abzu is a little less buildy and more explorey if the undersea angle fits.

Back