Television Game of Thrones S08E06 Discussion Thread: Burn them all! (the writing staff) | Our Watch has ended

AI2iAVw.jpg

The elegant prose began to disappear after Tywin died. Also the underlying charm to many characters faded to robot plot devices. The most obvious example of this is Tyrion. Seasons 1-4, he was the favorite character of most fans. After he fled King's Landing in season 5, he had nothing more to offer viewers. Only a stooge writer would butcher everyone's favorite character.
To be fair, in the books after Tyrion flees I found myself uninterested in his character, if not straight up annoyed by how fukkin whiny he became. ~I’m sea sick, I’m unhappy, boowoo that girl I once loved, midgets and a pig~

Meh.

I will at least give you that they changed Tyrion’s story in the show, and given the new storyline you’d expect better decision making from his character and some better one liners. But yeah they fucked that up too.

To be fair, in the books after Tyrion flees I found myself uninterested in his character, if not straight up annoyed by how fukkin whiny he became. ~I’m sea sick, I’m unhappy, boowoo that girl I once loved, midgets and a pig~

Meh.

I will at least give you that they changed Tyrion’s story in the show, and given the new storyline you’d expect better decision making from his character and some better one liners. But yeah they fucked that up too.

Just started S4 on my rewatch...Tywin throwing Ice's wolf scabbard into the fire at the beginning was badass.

Not like his story was interesting either. It's not like he was some unknown bastard who ran into hiding and was taken prisoner, escaped then taken prisoner and traded off due to his secret royal blood, then leeched of his blood for it. Not like he escaped death and rowed a boat for 3 years, went north of the wall, and broke the standing world half marathon record in the snow. Then made smithed a mass of weapons to battle the undead, face them on the frontlines of the Battle of Winterfell, be given his family name and title due to his courage. Nothing compared to Not Bran Anymore spending 2 seasons on an acid trip.

And he broke in Arya Stark;)

And I don't think the nearly universal backlash is just from book readers. People complained after the book material ran out, because suddenly every single character turned into a moron.

Including masterminds like Tyrion, Varys, and Baelish.

I've never read any of the books. I still thought season 8 fucking sucked.

Link?

Asking for a friend...:oops:
In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Turner revealed, “When I read that scene, I kinda loved it. I love the way Ramsay had Theon watching. It was all so messed up. It’s also so daunting for me to do it. I’ve been making [producer Bryan Cogman] feel so bad for writing that scene: ‘I can’t believe you’re doing this to me!’ But I secretly loved it.

https://www.sheknows.com/entertainm...me-of-thrones-sophie-turner-talks-rape-scene/

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Turner revealed, “When I read that scene, I kinda loved it. I love the way Ramsay had Theon watching. It was all so messed up. It’s also so daunting for me to do it. I’ve been making [producer Bryan Cogman] feel so bad for writing that scene: ‘I can’t believe you’re doing this to me!’ But I secretly loved it.

https://www.sheknows.com/entertainm...me-of-thrones-sophie-turner-talks-rape-scene/

Cogman, "Yeah, Sophie, I'm afraid in this scene you're going to be brutally raped by Ramsey..."

Turner, giphy.gif

Generally I think its a story there the character arcs get ahead of the plot, by the end of the third book a lot of drama has been resolved.

I think you see the show after the 4th season shift into something much more focused on the cinematic side as a result rather than the "two characters in a room" kind of conversational scenes that had driven it previously.

I'm still a bit dead inside

Keep your chin up bud

Watch up until Dany attacks the lannister army with her dragon then pretend the series ended there

You get there, you still see a lot of shit like Arya becoming a flawless Walder Frey, Arya’s faceless man “training”...

But I agree, this episode is the threshold. The next episode starts with Jaime being saved from drowning in full armor by Bron, then you realize the shows is made for dumbshit morons.

You get there, you still see a lot of shit like Arya becoming a flawless Walder Frey, Arya’s faceless man “training”...

But I agree, this episode is the threshold. The next episode starts with Jaime being saved from drowning in full armor by Bron, then you realize the shows is made for dumbshit morons.

the shift change was jarring AF

Eastwatch

Show building to Dany v Cercei but all of a sudden it's mantracker with Zombies wtf

fucked

suddenly we have Jamie talking to Tyrion and Davos fetching Gendri and so many random shit things

yeah no

Meh.

This is true. But I feel his character rebounded after joining the Second Sons.

Keep in mind I'm part of the camp that still enjoyed books 4 and 5. They're still good, just very long form. Especially Dance holy shit.

Back