Game of Thrones S07E01 Discussion Thread: And Now our Watch Begins (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often does Winter happen in the G.O.T world? Are people basically house ridden until winter is over?

On earth, the winters are relatively short like 5 to 6 months. Enough food can be stockpiled to last through it. Some animals hibernate.

The winters in the GOT land last much longer and it seems it might not be possible to have food stored. The war has used and depleted many resources. Surviving the winter seems to be very difficult. Then again, how did anyone survive North of the wall where it's always cold?

Welcome Varys to the Sherdog family

<Varys01>

If the show has taught us anything it is that acting out of mercy and 'doing the right thing' almost always gets you stabbed in the back and dead.

I fully expect Jon Snow to pay a heavy price for giving them another chance and to be the latest 'Stark' in that line to pay the price of naivety.

Normally I agree, but the show is winding down and I expect less bullshit political stuff and more actual fighting against each other.

But we'll see. I hope Snow doesn't get fooked!

On second thought he may very well kill a dragon. the description for the 3rd episode says Cersie returns a gift. Maybe he brings her the dragons head then Cersie ships it off to Daenerys as a warning.

Something like that I reckon. Or he uses the dragon to attack Dany's fleet

Thoros should have been a bro and helped the hound out with the last rites.. was cool of him to help him bury those 2 though. Dude is still a priest though, and he has his faith back. Maybe its cause Sandor didnt look to him for aid.

Thoros is a priest of the Lord of Light...

Why would you put yesterday's episode in spoiler tags?

I had no clue who this singer guy is but I thought that scene was good. You kept waiting for something to happen and then realized that they didn't have bad intentions. A surprising thing in this world. I feel like it's a tease towards the future when Lannisters will be fighting along side Jon, Dany and everyone else against the White Walkers. It's getting us ready.

But then again, that can all change next episode when they try too mess with her<Lmaoo>

Ed Sheeran stole the show as best new character.... I guess Jim Broadbent was OK too but I need more Sheeran.

Called it. So far, so good...

You are mostly right but not about the sword thing. Longclaw is a part of Jon has been with him through some wild times and is a bastard sword for a bastard king. Longclaw is Jons sword and will stay that way but the rest I agree with you on

I just wanna know how he got all the way over there to Old Town from the middle of the Dothraki Sea with no coin, horse, ship and in his condition and still made it over the narrow sea before Danny. I guess he had a head start?! *Shrugs* Or he found Varys' teleporter.

I assuming he went there searching for a cure and they threw him in a sanitarium/infirmary?!?

Ya not showing that was lame. Would have preferred that then shit and soup.

So Ser Friendzone and Sam are going to buddy up right? Sam figures out the cure for greyscale and Jorrah reunites with Khaleesi and talks her into joining up with Jon. Gotta be where thats going right?

Seems like Dragonstone having Dragon Glass is what connects Dany to Jon. Makes me wonder what was the point of Jorah getting Greyscale and meeting Sam. There's gotta be more too it.

Thoros should have been a bro and helped the hound out with the last rites.. was cool of him to help him bury those 2 though. Dude is still a priest though, and he has his faith back. Maybe its cause Sandor didnt look to him for aid.
Thoros doesn't worship the Faith of the Seven, which is what the Hound was reciting.

this is what I hate the most. How the fucking they rebuild Iron Fleet so fast, and how are there so many people on the boats? Every scene of the Iron Isles shows no trees, and a small ass population. The Kings Mote/Moat (sp?) had like 30 people there.

Ridiculous.

And as someone said, how the fucking is an entire castle (dragon stone) empty? Not even vagrants sitting in.

Would have been awesome if the Storm Crows were hanging out in Dragonstone.
Hilltribes.png

"You know what that evil nights king has that we Citadel folk dont have? do you Samwell Tarly?"
"No archmaester?"
"... A GREAT BIG BUSHY BEARD! COME ON!"
**aggresively grabs sams shoulder**

Cersei was kind of in a different situation to be fair. If she spoke out against Robert in the throne room he would have knocked her the fuck out. That wouldnt fly with someone like Rob. Joffery was a child and after his move of killing Ned,he mostly just indulged himself in tormenting sansa or others who Cersei could care less about,so she didnt have to speak out against that really.

The point is that it's shotty from a character perspective. It's the equivalent of her throwing a tantrum with her father at Kingslanding in season 1 when he wanted to send her off because it wasn't safe. But in season 1 she was young and that naive reaction made sense. Her character regress's instantly before our eyes in scenes like that now.

If we as an audience are supposed to start seeing Sansa as a smarter, stronger, and more cunning character it doesn't help to have her throwing fits during a large important gathering -revealing her true feelings to people she doesn't trust. That's just stupid. Now the Karstarks and Umbers know how she feels. Smart tactical thinkers in the past in this show don't do shit like that -and it's because a clever writer in GRRM who wasn't trying to create false tension for a random scene created those original scheming characters. But the writers of the show have outpaced the books and it's really starting to become obvious. The characters left in this show are getting dumber and clumsier.

I get that most people aren't going to be as critical as I would with stuff like this in general, but for fucksakes I feel like this is a pretty obvious one.

The only other explanation for this type of thing is if they're actually trying to show Sansa is weak and doesn't have what it takes. Or that she is trying to play games with everyone's head (including Jon) but I doubt that. I think it's just lazy uninspired writing.

S7 E1

Meh? It was fine.. glad it's back, I suppose

Good shit:
-the hound and the hound scenes. Fuckin guy is great.

-the archmaester with Sam was awesome. Great writing and Jim broadbent rules.

The bad:
-opening scene was NOT game of thrones level. It was shit. The Freys etc. It was obvious and predictable and drawn out and unnecessary. It was corny and hand holdy.

-how the fuck would dragonstone and its castle be COMPLETELY unoccupied? Why wouldn't remnants of stannis' shit still be there? People etc. Why wouldn't some hobos, or criminals or pirates be chilling there? And Daenerys just waltzing around without guards scoping it out was just absurd.

-too much samwell. Just too much. The archmaester scene was great, but man Sam had moreairtime than anyone in the season opener? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back