Television HOUSE OF THE DRAGON (Renewed for Season 2, post #571)

I originally hated the actor they chose for King Robert because he was nothing like the book described. I did eventually warm to his performance and now I don't mind it. I still don't like that he's the fat drunken king and that's that, though. In the books, he is indeed heavier and a huge drunk, but you get the backstory on how truly fucking badass he was back in his day when Robert's Rebellion began.

Dude was like Bud Spencer at aging, from young pro athlete to big strong looking fatman in his 30s

A 35/40 Spencer would have looked perfect for the role, but no idea how his english was lol
52d30582f884fdbc5d18641ce2f0b166.jpg
13517458_302652973404351_3530103165344401399_o-715x441.jpg

Waaay before Hulk abusing Loki, there was this lol
1467060799_b486073a36361c5ed87751bfb8ca6942ffdf9d72.gif

Update: December 11, 2020

HOUSE OF THE DRAGON Adds Olivia Cooke, Emma D'Arcy and Matt Smith to the Main Cast

7JfS4X3.jpg

HBO's Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon is beginning to take shape. Olivia Cooke (Ready Player One), Emma D'Arcy (Wanderlust) and Matt Smith (The Crown, Dr. Who) have been tapped to star in the straight-to-series drama. Additionally, Greg Yaitanes (Banshee) has boarded as a director and co-exec producer, with Clare Kilner (Snowpiercer) and Geeta V. Patel (The Witcher) also set to helm episodes of the fantasy series.

Based on Game of Thrones creator George R.R. Martin's Fire & Blood, House of the Dragon is set 300 years before the events of the recently concluded fantasy drama and tells the story of House Targaryen.

Cooke will play Alicent Hightower, who is described by HBO as "the daughter of Otto Hightower, the Hand of the King, and the most comely woman in the Seven Kingdoms. She was raised in the Red Keep, close to the king and his innermost circle; she possesses both a courtly grace and a keen political acumen."

D’Arcy is set as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, described as "the king’s first-born child, she is of pure Valyrian blood, and she is a dragonrider. Many would say that Rhaenyra was born with everything … but she was not born a man."

Smith will portray Prince Daemon Targaryen, who is the "younger brother to King Viserys and heir to the throne. A peerless warrior and a dragonrider, Daemon possesses the true blood of the dragon. But it is said that whenever a Targaryen is born, the gods toss a coin in the air."

Cooke, D'Arcy and Smith join the previously cast Paddy Considine (The Outsider) as King Viserys Targaryen, who, per HBO, was "chosen by the lords of Westeros to succeed the Old King, Jaehaerys Targaryen, at the Great Council at Harrenhal. A warm, kind and decent man, Viserys only wishes to carry forward his grandfather's legacy. But good men do not necessarily make for great kings."

Picked up straight to series in October 2019, the 10-episode series is co-created by Martin and Ryan Condal (USA Network's Colony). Condal will pen the script alongside Sara Lee Hess and serve as co-showrunner alongside Game of Thrones veteran Miguel Sapochnik. The latter will direct the pilot and additional episodes. Exec producers include Martin, Condal, Sapochnik, Vince Gerardis, Ron Schmidt and Hess. Yaitanes is a co-EP.

Cooke's credits include Amazon's Sound of Metal and in the upcoming feature Pixie. She also has IFC's Little Fish due in 2021. After breaking out in A&E's Psycho prequel Bates Motel, her credits have included The Quiet Ones, The Signal, Ouija, Me Earl and the Dying Girl and Ready Player One.

D'Arcy's credits include Amazon's Truth Seekers and Hannah II, BBC/Netflix's Wanderlust and they recently completed shooting on the feature take on Mothering Sunday, opposite Olivia Coleman and Colin Firth.

Smith earned an Emmy for his role as Prince Philip in The Crown and counts time as the 11th Doctor in Dr. Who. He next will be seen in Marvel's Morbius and Edgar Wright's Last in Soho.

A premiere timeframe for House of the Dragon has not yet been determined.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...livia-cooke-emma-darcy-and-matt-smith-to-star

As someone who writes, you don't know the ending until you write it. And the more books a series is the more chance you have.

But say the events are the same. Like J kills D and etc... GRRM writing that can actually be really good. He might have said how it ended and they MIGHT have changed it or not. But it is all the scenes that make up the rest of the story he could not tell them as they are not fleshed out by him yet.

Different people come up with their stories in different ways. Some just start writing and go where it takes them. Some outline the points of the story and fill the gaps. Some come up with the ending first and work backward for the story.

In Game of Thrones, did GRRM come up with calling a character Hodor before he knew about holding the door?

Different people come up with their stories in different ways. Some just start writing and go where it takes them. Some outline the points of the story and fill the gaps. Some come up with the ending first and work backward for the story.

In Game of Thrones, did GRRM come up with calling a character Hodor before he knew about holding the door?

What I meant is, that you have an idea of what the ending will be maybe. But often times it changes. GRRM originally said the series was going to be like 5 books then that expanded. He also said he threw away a lot of pages to change story.

But then again, I write stories dealing with themes that I am thinking about/obsessed with in my own life. Maybe I am not the best example.

But even GRRM I bet he is writing characters and work out what they would do and etc and that can really change how a story goes.

But then again I just had great sex with a 5 foot korean babe and am drinking some good NEIPA so all is good with life.

Have fun bro!

Same. I've never memory holed a show quicker than GoT.

This series will have George R. Martin is going to be much more directly involved than GOT.

The time when GOT started going downhill was about when Martin's books ended (or not finished technically) - the the show writers had to come up with their own shit. Up to the point of Martin's books, GOT was awesome.

This new House of Dragon series already has a completed book (Fire and Blood.)

More like full of disappointment.

Yeah got to admit, Season 7 and Season 8 of Game of Thrones were so bad, the outcome of the series was so underwhelming, it killed my interest in the whole fictional universe. Have no desire to rewatch or check out anything related to it.

Same. I've never memory holed a show quicker than GoT.

It's crazy, right? during the lead up to Season 8, Game of Thrones was the biggest show in television history. It was going to live in people's hearts and minds for generations to come. One of those landmark franchises.

Then Season 8 actually came out, and the disappointment was so profound, people don't even want to think about it anymore. Only one year later, if you bring up Game of Thrones, the automatic prevailing reaction is: What a waste.

This series will have George R. Martin is going to be much more directly involved than GOT.

The time when GOT started going downhill was about when Martin's books ended (or not finished technically) - the the show writers had to come up with their own shit. Up to the point of Martin's books, GOT was awesome.

This new House of Dragon series already has a completed book (Fire and Blood.)

I dont care at this point. It's already tainted

The Targs never really interested me much even before s8

I would have enjoyed an origin story about the Whitewalkers before they got bodied by an 8 year old tomboy in one episode

Honestly S8 was so bad it put me off any GOT content.. used to listen to podcasts (about theories etc).. Read all the books after watching the first 3 seasons.. now i prob wont even bother to watch this

Honestly S8 was so bad it put me off any GOT content.. used to listen to podcasts (about theories etc).. Read all the books after watching the first 3 seasons.. now i prob wont even bother to watch this

Many, many people had the same level of investment and now feel this way. I can't remember the last time I have seen a franchise lose its audience so fast and so significantly.

Another new series that will end up being an exercise in kicking the can. I got roped into GoT, Walking Dead, The Boys (season 1-2). It's the same old crap. Never again.

They string you along until they hit syndication, or whatever the equivalent is nowadays, and then sputter or crash to an unsatisfying end.

Update: December 18, 2020

HOUSE OF THE DRAGON Logo Revealed in HBO Max Preview Promo

181044.jpg

I originally was going to give this a chance and might still, but I'm losing interest. That ending of GOT just left such a bad taste it's hard to get over.

Update: December 24, 2020

Matt Smith Shares First Look at Daemon Targaryen's Dragon, Caraxes, from HOUSE OF THE DRAGON

Following the recent news that Matt Smith (Doctor Who, Terminator: Genisys) has signed on to play Prince Daemon Targaryen in HBO's Game of Thrones prequel series House of the Dragon, the actor has taken to Instagram to share a first look at the fire-breathing beast his character will ride into battle, Caraxes. This appears to be another piece of concept art, though it's still very realistic depiction of Caraxes, who seems to be a different breed of dragon to the likes of Drogon, Viserion and Rhaegal. Daemon is the younger brother of King Viserys, and is said to be "a peerless warrior and a dragonrider, Daemon possesses the true blood of the dragon. But it is said that whenever a Targaryen is born, the gods toss a coin in the air…"

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/h...n-targaryens-dragon-caraxes-a181152#gs.ow5au4

Update: February 11, 2021

HBO's Game of Thrones Prequel HOUSE OF DRAGON Adds Four More to Its Cast

Steve-Toussaint-Rhys-Ifans-Eve-Best-and-Sonoya-Mizuno-Split-Publicity-H-2021-1613070757-928x523.jpg

HBO's Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon is filling out its cast. The drama series has added four actors — Steve Toussaint, Rhys Ifans, Eve Best and Sonoya Mizuno — as regulars. The join Olivia Cooke, Emma D'Arcy, Matt Smith and Paddy Considine in the cast.

Based on Game of Thrones creator George R.R. Martin's Fire & Blood, House of the Dragon is set 300 years before the events of GoT and tells the story of House Targaryen.

Toussaint (Small Axe: Red, White and Blue) will play Lord Corlys Velaryon, "The Sea Snake." He's lord of House Velaryon, a Valyrian bloodline as old as the Targaryens and the most famed nauticul adventurer in Westeros. The Sea Snake has built his house into a power richer than the Lannisters and which claims the largest navy in the world.

Ifans (Notting Hill, Berlin Station) plays Ser Otto Hightower, hand of the king to Vaserys Targaryen (Considine). As he sees it, the greatest threat to the realm is the king's brother Daemon (Smith).

Best (Nurse Jackie) will play Princess Rhaenys Velaryon, Lord Corlys' wife and a dragonrider. She's known as "The Queen Who Never Was," as she was passed over as heir to the throne in favor of her her cousin, Viserys, just because he's a man.

Mizuno (Crazy Rich Asians) will play Mysaria, who came to Westeros with nothing and became the most trusted, and most unlikely, ally of Prince Daemon, heir to the throne.

House of the Dragon scored a straight to series order in 2019, becoming the first Game of Thrones spinoff to go forward at HBO. The 10-episode series is co-created by Martin and Ryan Condal (USA Network's Colony). Condal is writing alongside Sara Lee Hess and will serve as co-showrunner with Thrones veteran Miguel Sapochnik, who's also directing the pilot and additional episodes. Exec producers include Martin, Condal, Sapochnik, Vince Gerardis, Ron Schmidt and Hess. Greg Yaitanes will be a co-EP and direct episodes; Clare Kilner (Snowpiercer) and Geeta V. Patel (The Witcher) have also been tapped to direct.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-of-thrones-prequel-adds-quartet-of-regulars

Back