Game of thrones in space? 2 new Space opera tv shows to take on GoT

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Syfy has given a direct-to-series order to an exciting-sounding new project based on an acclaimed sci-fi book series. The cable network has ordered 10 episodes of The Expanse, from Academy Award-nominated screenwriting duo Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby (Children of Men, Iron Man) and Alcon Television Group. The project has been described by industry insiders as “Game of Thrones in space” — not so much because of the specifics of the plot, but because it tells a dramatic sprawling grown-up story within a popular fantasy genre that’s based on a respected series of novels.

Expanse1.jpg

The logline: “A thriller set two hundred years in the future, The Expanse follows the case of a missing young woman who brings a hardened detective and a rogue ship’s captain together in a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/11/syfy-the-expanse/

and then we have Eve online tv series

Plans to produce a TV series based on the hit video game “EVE Online” were announced nearly a year ago, with “2 Guns” director Baltasar Kormakur attached to develop the project.

The game’s developer, CCP Games, however, is in “no hurry” to rush the series into production, according to the company’s CEO, Hilmar Veigar Petursson. The Iceland-based company is currently meeting with TV networks and studio executives to find a partner to produce the series and other potential offshoots.

http://variety.com/2014/digital/new...d-become-the-next-game-of-thrones-1201088301/

while both have potential to be fucking awesome. the sy fy channel quality of CGI and production is horse shit. They need to do some serious work if they plan on taking on GoT. The Expanse novals sound bad ass, but come on sy fy don't fuck this up

I'll do them a favor and tell them to cancel this plan before it gets started and inevitably ends up canceled.

"Game Of Thrones in space" exists already. Actually it's existed since before the first A Song Of Ice And Fire novel was ever even thought out.

It's called "DUNE"

tumblr_m589pvTOQZ1qbaom0.jpg

House Harkonnen FTW. The Baron makes Jofferey look like the love child of Gandi and mother theresa.

The Sandworms>Daenerys's dragons

05+TERRY+OAKES+-+SANDWORM+AND+RIDER.jpg

Last edited:
Great, I am all for great sci-fi on TV.

Last great sci-fi was Battlestar Galactica, and I have the entire series on blueray.

I want Dune on HBO bad. All of the books. There is not enough good Sci Fi in film, kind of like the fantasy genre before Game of Thrones came out. BSG is not a good show.

It's funny that you compare The Expanse series to GoT, considering half of the writing duo that is James S.A. Corey, Ty Franck, is George R.R. Martin's assistant.

It's funny that you compare The Expanse series to GoT, considering half of the writing duo that is James S.A. Corey, Ty Franck, is George R.R. Martin's assistant.

That sounds promising to me. A person can learn a lot from being an assistant.

Game of Thrones Similarities with Dune

[quoteSo, I know that a lot of fantasy novels follow this same formula, but for any of you who have seen Dune, here is what I noticed.

House Atreides (Stark), moves their royal members to the planet Arakis (King's Landing) to mine the Spice (King's Hand) for the Emperor of the Known Universe (King Robert).

A feuding family who previously had the honour of mining the spice (King's Hand), House Harkonnen (The Lannisters), is conspiring against the Atriedes (Starks) to become rulers of the known Universe (Seven Kingdoms) through control of Arakis (King's Landing).

The Atriedes (Starks) eventually fall to treachery at the hands of the Harkonnen (Lannisters) who now rule Arakis (King's Landing). This is due to a traitor, Dr.Yuri (Lord Baleish) who serves the Empire (Seven Kingoms) but has alterior personal motives, eventually leading to the death of the patriarch of house Atriedes (Stark) Lord Leto (Eddard).

Lord Leto's (Eddard's) bastard son Paul (Jon) escapes his House's defeat early to live with the Fremen (Night's Watch). The Fremen are the poor of Arakis who hunt the fabled sand (snow) worms (giants/wildings). They live in giant mountain rocks (The Wall) which protect them from the harsh desert (winter) climate.

Aria Atriedes (Arya Stark) also survives the fall of her house, and pursues revenge to an almost fanatical extreme. She becomes an assassin and vowes to kill everyone that wronged her and her family. She is also around 10 years old.

Eventually, Paul (Jon) through magical powers and prophecy, overcomes the worms (giants/wildings) and leads them over the protective wall, in events that follow the Empire (Seven Kingdoms) is destroyed by Paul's (Jon's) army, and the spice flows (I've got nothing here).

Thats just after watching the last episode. Without the political intrigue its quite similar, at least to the Stark/Lannister storyline (Starks have blue banners, Lannisters have red, same for Atriedes/Harkonnen). Perhaps they both got their ideas from the War of the Roses?

After writing this, I looked online to see if anyone had the same thoughts as me...][/quote]

http://diplomunion.com/index.php?threads/similarities-between-game-of-thrones-and-dune.15597/

I want Dune on HBO bad. All of the books. There is not enough good Sci Fi in film, kind of like the fantasy genre before Game of Thrones came out. BSG is not a good show.

BSG is a better show than game of thrones.

Game of Thrones Similarities with Dune

[quoteSo, I know that a lot of fantasy novels follow this same formula, but for any of you who have seen Dune, here is what I noticed.

House Atreides (Stark), moves their royal members to the planet Arakis (King's Landing) to mine the Spice (King's Hand) for the Emperor of the Known Universe (King Robert).

A feuding family who previously had the honour of mining the spice (King's Hand), House Harkonnen (The Lannisters), is conspiring against the Atriedes (Starks) to become rulers of the known Universe (Seven Kingdoms) through control of Arakis (King's Landing).

The Atriedes (Starks) eventually fall to treachery at the hands of the Harkonnen (Lannisters) who now rule Arakis (King's Landing). This is due to a traitor, Dr.Yuri (Lord Baleish) who serves the Empire (Seven Kingoms) but has alterior personal motives, eventually leading to the death of the patriarch of house Atriedes (Stark) Lord Leto (Eddard).

Lord Leto's (Eddard's) bastard son Paul (Jon) escapes his House's defeat early to live with the Fremen (Night's Watch). The Fremen are the poor of Arakis who hunt the fabled sand (snow) worms (giants/wildings). They live in giant mountain rocks (The Wall) which protect them from the harsh desert (winter) climate.

Aria Atriedes (Arya Stark) also survives the fall of her house, and pursues revenge to an almost fanatical extreme. She becomes an assassin and vowes to kill everyone that wronged her and her family. She is also around 10 years old.

Eventually, Paul (Jon) through magical powers and prophecy, overcomes the worms (giants/wildings) and leads them over the protective wall, in events that follow the Empire (Seven Kingdoms) is destroyed by Paul's (Jon's) army, and the spice flows (I've got nothing here).

Thats just after watching the last episode. Without the political intrigue its quite similar, at least to the Stark/Lannister storyline (Starks have blue banners, Lannisters have red, same for Atriedes/Harkonnen). Perhaps they both got their ideas from the War of the Roses?

After writing this, I looked online to see if anyone had the same thoughts as me...]

http://diplomunion.com/index.php?threads/similarities-between-game-of-thrones-and-dune.15597/[/QUOTE]

I'm not opposed to the idea that aSoIaF was partially inspired by Dune, but that's stretching a lot of the story beyond recognition.

GoT in space was made well before GoT was, it's called Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

legend-of-galatic-heroes-wall.jpg

One thing is clear, Daenerys is a clear rip off of Paul.

Freeing slaves, conquering mythical beasts to use for war against the king/emperor, Messiah like figure to the people.

Paul is cooler though, and a drug that can expand your consciousness across the universe >the iron throne.

I figured , honestly its a blur because its literally been 13 years since I've read Dune and I never got around to reading the rest of the series.

The rest of the series gets pretty out there (at least those written by Frank Herbert--never read the stuff his son wrote). There are some similarities, sure, but a lot of it, like comparing the Fremen to the Night's Watch or the King's Hand to the spice production, are in no way analogous.

One thing is clear, Daenerys is a clear rip off of Paul.

Freeing slaves, conquering mythical beasts to use for war ago set the king/emperor, Messiah like figure to the people.

Well, I think its more likely they're based off similar tropes. Herbert was pretty upfront in interviews that Paul was supposed to represent the failure of Messianic persons and hopes. However, Paul is a much better character. Dany is good for nothing.

I came into this thread hoping for news of a Honor Harrington tv series. Disappointed.

BSG is a better show than game of thrones.

Maybe.

I loved BSG but they were far too loose with the writing, they threw too many ideas in with no idea where they'd go (and failed to resolve them).

I can't say you're wrong, though, it was absolutely the best drama in speculative fiction that we have ever seen and was undeniably a tier one show.

Maybe.

I loved BSG but they were far too loose with the writing, they threw too many ideas in with no idea where they'd go (and failed to resolve them).

I can't say you're wrong, though, it was absolutely the best drama in speculative fiction that we have ever seen and was undeniably a tier one show.

(Ever seen on television)

I don't know anything about The Expanse series, but if it's a pretty cut n' dry Sci-Fi series I think it's going to fail or not do so hot. Hopefully it's got something new to offer TV audiences.

I think GoT works because it's not total fantasy and has significant amounts of political, interpersonal, and warfare drama. It's also not ripe with good vs evil tropes; there's a lot of grey morality in the series. Unlike, say, Lord of the Rings, most people can probably find characters and storylines they like and can identify with. LotR, you're supposed to like Aragorn, Gandalf and Frodo. GoT, it's up to you on whom you're going to like. YMMV, of course.

Back