Game of thrones in space? 2 new Space opera tv shows to take on GoT

something...something... fear is the mind killer.

It's funny that you compare The Expanse series to GoT, considering half of the writing duo that is James S.A. Corey, Ty Franck, is George R.R. Martin's assistant.

it could be interesting. i'm not so sure about dune though guys, it seems like it doesn't have enough war in it.

No one said anything about EVE? Sci-Fi problem is they're production quality is such shit, an they're shit quality movies and crappy CGI.

i guess no one think's EVE online will be good?

I watched part of the Dune miniseries that aired on the Sci Fi network. After about an hour and a half I turned it off. Boring.

Great, I am all for great sci-fi on TV.

Last great sci-fi was Battlestar Galactica, and I have the entire series on blueray.

Same I loved battlestar and would welcome another great sci-fi series.

I watched part of the Dune miniseries that aired on the Sci Fi network. After about an hour and a half I turned it off. Boring.

There are definitely some fans on here of that miniseries, but I agree. Total snooze fest.

"Game Of Thrones in space" exists already. Actually it's existed since before the first A Song Of Ice And Fire novel was ever even thought out.

It's called "DUNE"

Yes.

I'm not opposed to the idea that aSoIaF was partially inspired by Dune, but that's stretching a lot of the story beyond recognition.

I figured , honestly its a blur because its literally been 13 years since I've read Dune and I never got around to reading the rest of the series.[/QUOTE]

The scale of events in the later books are sprawling, to say the least. The books take place over thousands of years and that's just the stuff that Frank Herbert wrote. Though I haven't read the books that his son wrote based on his notes, the series is almost beyond epic. Entire religions and societies develop, merge and fade away over the course Dune.

it could be interesting. i'm not so sure about dune though guys, it seems like it doesn't have enough war in it.

The scale of war in the Dune universe after the death of the God Emperor makes the stuff that's happening in GoT/ASOIAF seem like a kindergarten dust-up.

Yes.

I figured , honestly its a blur because its literally been 13 years since I've read Dune and I never got around to reading the rest of the series.

The scale of events in the later books are sprawling, to say the least. The books take place over thousands of years and that's just the stuff that Frank Herbert wrote. Though I haven't read the books that his son wrote based on his notes, the series is almost beyond epic. Entire religions and societies develop, merge and fade away over the course Dune.

The scale of war in the Dune universe after the death of the God Emperor makes the stuff that's happening in GoT/ASOIAF seem like a kindergarten dust-up.

Then again, we have EVE online where war is constant :wink:

At first I was excited when I read the thread title.

But then I noticed the shows were going to be on SciFi.

i've been reading the dune series the last few months (still got chapterhouse left to start) and whilst i like it i think it is maybe a bit too far out to make a successful tv show, it goes completely off the weirdness deep end by the fourth book. also it has a lot of negative things to say regarding religion, which may not go down well.

also a lot of it takes place in the minds of various characters which may be hard to display on screen and there is lots of philosophical musing which viewers ay find tedious.

I'm looking for GoT underwater if anyone has any recommendations.

has anyone read the The Expanse novels?

Stopped reading at SyFy.

BSG was the only thing they ever did that I thought was good. Even Caprica sucked hard.

Space series always have a high risk of getting cancelled due to cost. Cable networks just don't want to put that much money in when they can get the same ratings or better from a cheaper crime/dective show or sitcom.

A format like HBO has shown with GoT that the scifi series last hope may be in a format such as that. They'd have to get under a subscription service, go all out, and (the hard part) actually have a great story the masses would want to follow.

I think scifi often falls victim of always focusing too much on special effects over substance.

Stopped reading at SyFy.

BSG was the only thing they ever did that I thought was good. Even Caprica sucked hard.

i totally understand why. they need to field a lot of money time and quality into the series to get to start up. Space opera seem like they require top of the line CGI and production where syfy fails

i totally understand why. they need to field a lot of money time and quality into the series to get to start up. Space opera seem like they require top of the line CGI and production where syfy fails

Yep. 90% of the stuff on their channel looks like it was on a very limited budget, from CGI and props, to the actors. Everything screams budget.

Back