• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Galaxy s10

Consumerism is the new religion, in terms of controlling the masses.

<bball1>
A grand isn't really much considering how many of us stick around with it for at least 2 years.

True. But you know what's a lot less than a grand? $300-$500. You know what costs $300-$500? A truly massive lineup of phones that will do 95% plus of what that $1000 will do, and most of that 5% will be games that most people will never have the slightest desire to play. If you buy one of those you then have $500-$700 to invest in something more directly valuable, or invest outright, while you sit there trying to figure out what that extra $500-$700 spent on a phone would have actually done for you.

The problem with your stance is that it's true applied across the board. It could be talking about anything from eating out five times a week to buying the 18 year old scotch rather than the 12 or getting a fancy set of sneakers - it can all be justified as it "isn't really that much considering (insert context here)" and that's how one becomes enjoyably and detrimentally wasteful. The question which people far too rarely ask in any rigorously critical manner is "Is this something that will actually benefit me much?" For some people the answer will be "yes" - but in my experience that group is a small percentage of the people who actually throw away that $1000 every two years so they can buy some fancy phone they don't even remotely need.

The unfortunate thing is, the more rubes who love unnecessarily throwing away money on a phone, the more phone companies feel they have carte blanche to jack up prices across the board. See those big spikes below?

gsmarena_002.png

That's when Apple decided, "Hey, these rubes will pay pretty much whatever we ask, so why not just jack the price up to something stupid?" and they were proven right - and gave the industry confidence to follow suite. Somewhere they're listening to some moron saying "Well, $1000 isn't that much every two years" and calculating how much they'll jack the price next time... Why I hope my side wins is because I used to be able to get a good phone in the $200 range. Now it's $300 to $500. That being said, I realize my side won't win, because the number of morons who will continually throw money at cell phones is not in any way small.

All in, I'm constantly shocked at how dogged people are to defending stupid spending. With pricey cell phones it's not true of everyone but when you get talking about shit like pixel density, how thin it is, bezel size, or what type of screen it has, you're likely defending wasting your money and how susceptible you are to marketing buzzwords.

Last edited:
Sucks mang, on the plus side you may have avoided a crippling phone addiction.

I smashed and drowned mine and it's still rollin.
Yeah it's a tough motherfucker. It sat in a wet bag that someone didn't seal up properly so it filled with water for 4 hours and was fine after an hour.

True. But you know what's a lot less than a grand? $300-$500. You know what costs $300-$500? A truly massive lineup of phones that will do 95% plus of what that $1000 will do, and most of that 5% will be games that most people will never have the slightest desire to play. If you buy one of those you then have $500-$700 to invest in something more directly valuable, or invest outright, while you sit there trying to figure out what that extra $500-$700 spent on a phone would have actually done for you.

The problem with your stance is that it's true applied across the board. It could be talking about anything from eating out five times a week to buying the 18 year old scotch rather than the 12 or getting a fancy set of sneakers - it can all be justified as it "isn't really that much considering (insert context here)" and that's how one becomes enjoyably and detrimentally wasteful. The question which people far too rarely ask in any rigorously critical manner is "Is this something that will actually benefit me much?" For some people the answer will be "yes" - but in my experience that group is a small percentage of the people who actually throw away that $1000 every two years so they can buy some fancy phone they don't even remotely need.

The unfortunate thing is, the more rubes who love unnecessarily throwing away money on a phone, the more phone companies feel they have carte blanche to jack up prices across the board. See those big spikes below?

gsmarena_002.png

That's when Apple decided, "Hey, these rubes will pay pretty much whatever we ask, so why not just jack the price up to something stupid?" and they were proven right - and gave the industry confidence to follow suite. Somewhere they're listening to some moron saying "Well, $1000 isn't that much every two years" and calculating how much they'll jack the price next time... Why I hope my side wins is because I used to be able to get a good phone in the $200 range. Now it's $300 to $500. That being said, I realize my side won't win, because the number of morons who will continually throw money at cell phones is not in any way small.

All in, I'm constantly shocked at how dedicated people are to defending stupid spending. With pricey cell phones it's not true of everyone but when you get talking about shit like pixel density, how thin it is, bezel size, or what type of screen it has, you're likely defending wasting your money and how susceptible you are to marketing buzzwords.
This post is far too long for a cellphone conversation

giphy.gif

gsmarena_002.png

All in, I'm constantly shocked at how dogged people are to defending stupid spending. With pricey cell phones it's not true of everyone but when you get talking about shit like pixel density, how thin it is, bezel size, or what type of screen it has, you're likely defending wasting your money and how susceptible you are to marketing buzzwords.

But I don't use Iphone, so your logic is flawed.

<Rodgers1>

So what are some good phones in the 300 to 500 range then?

So what are some good phones in the 300 to 500 range then?

I'm a fan of the Asus Zenfones line myself. Though, just to be clear, I'm not going to do extensive research for you. Look around a bit yourself if you're interested - the Android market is *huge* as I discovered in the past two years looking for phones for my wife and mother in law...

ASUS ZenFone 5Z (ZS620KL) 6GB / 64GB 6.2-inches Dual SIM Factory Unlocked - International Stock No Warranty (Midnight Blue)

($396 unlocked)

Amazon product ASIN B07DN7F771
Large phone (6.2 inches), flagship class (800+) Qualcomm chip, Amoled screen, 6gb RAM, and a host of other features. The biggest detriment, for my taste, is only 64gb of base storage, but that is expandable.

"It's fairly obvious that the Asus Zenfone 5Z is packed full of features, and like they've reiterated time and again, full of 'AI capabilities'. Regardless of the AI, the phone has plenty under the hood to justify its price.

In fact, it's probably one of the few flagship phones in the market that could be deemed 'worth it' where the user comes away feeling as though they've gotten more from their phone that they paid for.
"

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/asus-zenfone-5z

The industry is *loaded* with phones like this that people aren't even aware of - and you could literally buy two of these things and have over $200 left over to spend on other things for the price of one of those ridiculously marked up Samsungs - but you wouldn't be able to brag about it being a half millimeter thinner, or having a 10% higher pixel density or whatever the hell people think justifies those prices..

I'm a fan of the Asus Zenfones line myself. Though, just to be clear, I'm not going to do extensive research for you. Look around a bit yourself if you're interested - the Android market is *huge* as I discovered in the past two years looking for phones for my wife and mother in law...

ASUS ZenFone 5Z (ZS620KL) 6GB / 64GB 6.2-inches Dual SIM Factory Unlocked - International Stock No Warranty (Midnight Blue)

($396 unlocked)

Amazon product ASIN B07DN7F771
Large phone (6.2 inches), flagship class (800+) Qualcomm chip, Amoled screen, 6gb RAM, and a host of other features. The biggest detriment, for my taste, is only 64gb of base storage, but that is expandable.

"It's fairly obvious that the Asus Zenfone 5Z is packed full of features, and like they've reiterated time and again, full of 'AI capabilities'. Regardless of the AI, the phone has plenty under the hood to justify its price.

In fact, it's probably one of the few flagship phones in the market that could be deemed 'worth it' where the user comes away feeling as though they've gotten more from their phone that they paid for.
"

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/asus-zenfone-5z

The industry is *loaded* with phones like this that people aren't even aware of - and you could literally buy two of these things and have over $200 left over to spend on other things for the price of one of those ridiculously marked up Samsungs - but you wouldn't be able to brag about it being a half millimeter thinner, or having a 10% higher pixel density or whatever the hell people think justifies those prices..

ASuS phones are for gays bro.

ASuS phones are for gays bro.
Oh please... Having a cutting edge flagship phone is pretty much a fashion accessory. Walking into your local Blue Oyster to show off how your new phone is 0.5mm thinner and has a super high pixel density and oh, will you just look at how small that Bezel is! is way more gay than buying an extremely functional phone that suits all your needs for less than half the cost. Most Samsung/Apple nuts people are roughly in the same ball park as teenage girls showing off their new purses to each other.

Still rocking S8+ with no reason to upgrade. Phone has been solid.

The ONLY reason I would get another phone is so that I could fully root with no down side. Right now, Samsung has their phones -20% battery on you if you root, though some say it's still fine and worth it. Was gonna buy a Pixel 2 XL as a sideways upgrade just to have a phone to root that still had decent specs and a nice Camera, but I can't see getting rid of my S8+, and this is coming from someone who was addicted to NEEDING the new iPhone every launch up to the 6+.

Not anymore. Haven't you heard all these big corps are now moving their factories to india, vietnam and other shitholes.

I'm okay with disrespecting Canada. But that's where I draw the line.

<Deported1>

Back