Gaethje wanted to create a “car crash” but got run over... what was the plan?

To be fair the car crash was there, but it was justin's crash. Khabib ramed himself into Justin's car.

Gaethje was gassed by the end of round one from all the back pedaling he did. If your game plan is to throw as many leg kicks as possible against the p4p strongest grappler in MMA, you aren’t going to be too successful. He landed a couple good leg kicks, but Khabib was still able to close the distance and get him against the cage. Disappointing fight for sure since it was so one sided.

game plans mean squat when you have someone so much better in front of you, he had a puncher's chance and a fool's hope that his take down defense would hold , that was it

I’ve watched this fight over and over again, and I have yet to understand that Whitman’s plan was...

Whitman is the dude who the UFC props up as some masterful game planner yet he’s fallen flat again. He had no answer for JG to deal with Khabibs grappling other than have him train with a college wrestling coach and train scrambles which don’t factor in submission threats. Offered no technical advice in the grappling whatever. Even the striking was a ripoff of Iaquintas low Folkstyle Stance which compromised his reach and power... useless.

TLDR: JG simply backpedaled and avoided every “car crash” he wanted to create, and ultimately got ran over. Khabib broke him.

What was the plan Sherbros? I’ve always said Whitman was an overrated goof, is he legit?

065_Justin_Gaethje.jpg
the car crash was to send strikes up the middle when Khabib was coming for a take down. He only threw one uppercut, it connected then he abandoned that part lol.

Trevor wittman in my eyes, is legit. That's what makes Khabib special. He's able to make good guys look ordinary and dare I say amateur. If gaethje goes on to become a champion while khabib is away, you'll see.

I think this fight also speaks to how underrated Javier Mendez is as a coach, who quite frankly has never received an iota of respect.

me thinks his plan was to use his kicks the first few rounds while creating distance between himself and Khabib and pushing him while his legs were fucked up

I think this fight also speaks to how underrated Javier Mendez is as a coach, who quite frankly has never received an iota of respect.
Dude this is Khabib and also from what I've heard his camp was mostly not with Javier. Edmond could probably coach at this stage and Khabib would probably look the same in the cage.

Kickboxing is not enough to beat Habib. Imo Justin was overhyped bc he beat tony (another Kickboxing fighter known to take massive damage in fights.

Does anyone have the gif of the big shot Justin hit Khabib with? I was honestly worried for a second when it connected, was like oh shit here we go, but he completely walked right through it. His chin, for never being tested is immaculate.

Whitman is a great striking coach but a little bit out of his element in the grappling...
Also Gaethje in his mind knew he was doomed if the fight hit the ground so quickly went into panic mode and began overreacting to everything

Whitman is a great striking coach and from what I saw on TUF awhile back good at getting fighters to believe in their skill and pump them up. If you don't believe in yourself, you will suck.

But the plan was flawed. Gaethje wasn't ready for the fight going to the ground, which was insanely predictable.

Whitman is a great striking coach and from what I saw on TUF awhile back good at getting fighters to believe in their skill and pump them up. If you don't believe in yourself, you will suck.

But the plan was flawed. Gaethje wasn't ready for the fight going to the ground, which was insanely predictable.
That's not due to a flawed gameplan. Gaethje just doesn't have the skills, he can't make up the difference in one fightcamp

Plan was swinging and kicking for the fences while moving backwards and praying

They thought khabib was gonna stand there and trade but nah khabib charged forward nonstop like a madman

I wouldn't shit on Whitman too much.

Justin was doing everything all the MMA analysts and fighters were saying for years had to be done against Khabib to win: He was circling to avoid the fence, defended the clinches/takedown attempts to avoid the ground, landed hard leg kicks to try affecting mobility, and kept the fight standing for most of the round to land some bombs.

Theoretically, that was a great game plan.

Unfortunately, Khabib was able to eat a lot more bombs and leg kicks than they anticipated, and without needing to respect Justin's power, could pressure a lot more in the standup than they could deal with. Combined with the grappling pressure, Justin couldn't keep up. Khabib was also much better at takedowns in the open than Justin could defend, and must hit hard enough for Justin to feel he had to back up.

Are we gonna act like the leg kicks werent working? A few more wouldve done Khabib in, and I say this as a big Khabib fan. He got the finishing TD off of a leg kick that was gonna knock him down, and he used the momentum to get the TD.
Just a few more leg kicks man i would have had him...

9a832ef7-92ee-4183-935f-983a3aed2b32-jpeg.809579

What I expected to see was Justin exploding up off the floor as soon as he touched it. That is the only way to defend once "taken down" by a guy like Khabib.

But we never saw that from Justin. In the fight ending takedown it was clear Justin didn't have the required gas in the tank to scramble and explode back to his feet. He made the decision to just "rest" a while underneath the Russian. And a few moments was all it took for Khabib to put him to sleep.

I’ve watched this fight over and over again, and I have yet to understand that Whitman’s plan was...

Whitman is the dude who the UFC props up as some masterful game planner yet he’s fallen flat again. He had no answer for JG to deal with Khabibs grappling other than have him train with a college wrestling coach and train scrambles which don’t factor in submission threats. Offered no technical advice in the grappling whatever. Even the striking was a ripoff of Iaquintas low Folkstyle Stance which compromised his reach and power... useless.

TLDR: JG simply backpedaled and avoided every “car crash” he wanted to create, and ultimately got ran over. Khabib broke him.

What was the plan Sherbros? I’ve always said Whitman was an overrated goof, is he legit?

065_Justin_Gaethje.jpg
Mike Tyson said right: "Everyone has a plan until I eat your children's liver" replace that "every Gaethjes, Connors, Poiriers have a plan until they get taken down by Khabib"

Honestly I think the gameplan was very good. When you're at a disadvantage in a chess game, you make the game wild and tactical, and that's what he tried to do.

Khabib was a vastly superior fighter and Gaethje's only real advantage was his striking power, so his plan was to come out aggressive and hurt Khabib badly before he got worn down by Khabib's grappling. Justin landed some hard head shots but Khabib's chin is ironclad (probably from taking no damage his whole career), and some nasty leg shots; but in the end Khabib's skill was just too great to overcome.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back