Gaethje wanted to create a “car crash” but got run over... what was the plan?

BRASIL WAND

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve watched this fight over and over again, and I have yet to understand that Whitman’s plan was...

Whitman is the dude who the UFC props up as some masterful game planner yet he’s fallen flat again. He had no answer for JG to deal with Khabibs grappling other than have him train with a college wrestling coach and train scrambles which don’t factor in submission threats. Offered no technical advice in the grappling whatever. Even the striking was a ripoff of Iaquintas low Folkstyle Stance which compromised his reach and power... useless.

TLDR: JG simply backpedaled and avoided every “car crash” he wanted to create, and ultimately got ran over. Khabib broke him.

What was the plan Sherbros? I’ve always said Whitman was an overrated goof, is he legit?

065_Justin_Gaethje.jpg

He saw Khabib across the octagon and was terrified and also extremely excited which lead to a huge adrenaline dump.
And yeah, Whitman is overrated imo.

The gameplan that they carefully planned out was the good old Moraes vs Aldo gameplan of running away terrified.

Reactions: G10
Whitman is a great striking coach but a little bit out of his element in the grappling...
Also Gaethje in his mind knew he was doomed if the fight hit the ground so quickly went into panic mode and began overreacting to everything

Wittman is mainly a boxing coach, I had a strong feeling his gameplan wouldn't be effective against a pressure wrestler like Khabib.

He was trying to imitate the fight against Ferguson.
He thought he could circle without being cut off.
He forgot that Ferguson is slow and Khabib is fast.

He was terrified of the shots.

Offensively he wanted to take the leg out it seemed and try to make Khabib pay when he closed the distance. He had some success hitting Khabib on the way in but Khabib ate the shots and showed no effect.

Many thought he should be quick on the feet (Don´t allow Khabib to get a hold on you), stay away from the fence und use the leg kicks. So, he used the strategie many thought would work. Coming up with a gameplan is easy, executing it isn´t...

Khabib really is that good, I was disappointed as I wanted to see more of a fight.

He was pressuring Gaethje perfectly causing him to gas and panic.

I think the occasion got to Justin. What man would want to take away Khabib’s legacy after his father had just died? That’s a Jones Bones poke your eyes out stomp your knees scum bag move.

He got in the ring and his butthole tightened up.

He got hesitant and lost the mental battle from the start. He fought scared of being taken down...therefor he was striking while running away too much. Nerves and the constant moving gassed him out. That's why Khabib was able to take him down and submit him with ease. If you're gonna beat Khabib, he should've came out and started banging/head-hunting. If you get taken down at least you're not as gassed as if you bounced around non stop for 5 mins then get taken down.

I'd take my chances at coming out head hunting.

Personaly I think he was executing his gameplan well, except maybe he did overexcert himself and was a little gassed at the end. His only chance really was to keep Khabib off him and land hard shots.

What I saw from the fight was that Khabib was, a better wrestler, completly levels abow in grappling and they are probably equal on the feet. So in other words the result was inevitable and Gaethje just was able to extend it to the second round.

Whitman is a great striking coach but a little bit out of his element in the grappling...
Also Gaethje in his mind knew he was doomed if the fight hit the ground so quickly went into panic mode and began overreacting to everything
Panicking, AND smiling/giggling. I knew he was done when I saw that. When Khabib took him down, he grinned and his face read: "haha, well damn". Not a good sign.

It looked like he had no game plan at all. Just avoid any clinching and go for a ko

He was unlucky Khabib wasn't an old slow and stupid tony :D

Khabib was faster, the better wrestler and the better athlete

Are we gonna act like the leg kicks werent working? A few more wouldve done Khabib in, and I say this as a big Khabib fan. He got the finishing TD off of a leg kick that was gonna knock him down, and he used the momentum to get the TD.

What should the plan have even been ?
I don't see a way Gaethje could have won other than putting Khabib to sleep.
He just hasn't committed enough time to work on his ground game where he could reasonably defend himself for if the fight got down there.

You can't get that level of grappling in a training camp. It takes years to reach that level.
Gaethje was more in submission grappling situation than wrestling situation. He have no bottom game, that's it.

Back