Gaethje should consider FW.

Volk is bullying guys with no wrestling and KO power. Gaethje's not much of a grappler, but on the feet, he'd cause a ton more problems to Volk than any of Volk's previous foes.
Mendez, Aldo and Ortega all pack a ton of power.
He also was able to implement his wrestling vs great bjj artist and tdd artist.

Volk can just outstrike Gaycheese from a distance or just smash him on the ground.

Hes 5'11. I think hes a big LW, I dont see him making FW honestly.

Dunno if its possible.

If he did it would be interesting, but I think he would be very depleted if he made FW.
He's actually one of the smallest lightweights in the rankings, if not the smallest lol. Him and Jalin Turner being in the same weight class is ridiculous.

He's blown his title shot twice now and LW is brewing with great grapplers. He's also on the smaller side, cutting very little weight: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/compilation-of-fighters-cage-weight-redux.3977251/

If he wishes to become champ, then I think he should consider FW. His name alone would trebuchet him for the strap faster with less wins than at LW. There's nothing, besides the Doostin rematch, for him at LW anyway.

Yair, Kattar, Emmett or Volkanovski vs Gaethje would just be awesome.

What do you think of this?

I think he flatlines Volk.

Volk can just outstrike Gaycheese from a distance or just smash him on the ground.

Volk doesn't hit as hard as wmma. The guy can't Crack an egg hence the snoozers he puts on Justin knocks his block off with either hand.

I'd love Volk to fight Justin at lw. Watch what happens.

He's blown his title shot twice now and LW is brewing with great grapplers. He's also on the smaller side, cutting very little weight: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/compilation-of-fighters-cage-weight-redux.3977251/

How the hell is 18 pounds "very little weight", lol.

It's almost this much water:

0308_2-scaled.jpg

You have to remove from your body somehow.

The fact that many fighters cut way more doesn't mean it's good.

If he wishes to become champ, then I think he should consider FW. His name alone would trebuchet him for the strap faster with less wins than at LW. There's nothing, besides the Doostin rematch, for him at LW anyway.

I like all the fresh match ups for him on paper, but I don't see him ever making that cut.
yeah I agree with you as usual Fortheo.

Guys like Justin and poirer are quite large. If they moved divisions I’d think it would be 170 where they’d be undersized and a lot of the top fighters are poor matchups

How the hell is 18 pounds "very little weight", lol.

It's almost this much water:

0308_2-scaled.jpg

You have to remove from your body somehow.

The fact that many fighters cut way more doesn't mean it's good.
And that was his own words, its probably more this days, even if its not more, 18-20lbs at LW, sounds like a killing to make FW to me, he isnt 25yo.

I think at this point he is past the point of being a title contender, and before retiring in a few years, will chase fun or big-name match-ups at LW or even WW instead of cutting to FW.

That being said I think FW would be too fast and too technical for Justin
I agree with the rest of what you said about how easy people make changing weightclasses seem, but gaethje is a major issue at FW. he matches up WAY better against the FW top 5.

I don't think gaethje would lose to katter, Emmet, Yair, Ortega, or Allen.

Max and volk would be his stiffest competition.

LMAO. You really think he could get down that low? He's not a small lightweight. I don't think it matters, Gaethje just needs to get over chocking if/when he gets another title shot. He gave up in the Khabib fight, may have been a bit gassed. He got more manhandled in the Oliveira fight IMO and was just getting beat everywhere. At least he got a couple of good punches in on Khabib.

LMAO. You really think he could get down that low? He's not a small lightweight. I don't think it matters, Gaethje just needs to get over chocking if/when he gets another title shot. He gave up in the Khabib fight, may have been a bit gassed. He got more manhandled in the Oliveira fight IMO and was just getting beat everywhere. At least he got a couple of good punches in on Khabib.
did you miss the oliveria fight? that was a competitive fight for the 1 round it lasted

He should learn some defense. People thought he was suddenly some amazing striker after he picked apart old Tony, but his chin is always there for the taking.
True, part of striking is avoiding strikes from opponents. Remember when he would get hit on purpose? He said he enjoys it, but that's dumb, accumulation of punches will eventually make a fighter more susceptible to getting TKO'ed/KO'ed. That's one thing most MMA fighters could be better skilled at and should work on.

He's actually one of the smallest lightweights in the rankings, if not the smallest lol. Him and Jalin Turner being in the same weight class is ridiculous.
Dunno about that, but Turner is a giant.

Gaethje says himself his bones are dense, so I dont think FW is much of an option.

Dude, I wanna be positive, but, dude... deflated, post-USADA suspension Mendes in his literally last MMA bout and demoralized Aldo in his last FW bout... I'm just not feeling it. Ortega win was great, yeah, but that dude's wrestling isn't all that - his zhoo zhits is - and he's only finished old timers with strikes.

I think even a drained Gaethje is above all 3 of these challenges.

"He's not the champ, therefore he should move down a weight class".

A shertard.

Last edited:

Gaethje doesn't have the best chin at 155, cutting to 145 will make him flat out chinny. If he moves down i predict he'll get brutally KO'd.

Back