1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Gaethje lost every moment of that fight.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Ajax41, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Ajax41 Orange Belt

Myself and other fans seem to have become disenchanted with Gaethje as of late. It seems like he’s become super whiney and entitled lately even off the back of an embarrassing loss. No doubt Khabib can do that to people but he didn’t win a single moment of that fight. All he has said is that he was one leg kick away which shows that he came in with one weapon and when it didn’t work he had NOTHING. He was getting touched up from distance and when he did land something to get khabibs attention Khabib didn’t concede an inch. Instead of switching stances to hide the leg he shifted inside to create standing grappling exchanges. Justin was on the run the whole time. Then of course he immediately get swallowed on the ground in a way that literally none of Khabibs opponents have. The irony is that he is acting like the kicks were what saved him even though he was taken down and submitted in 30 seconds..... off a kick.
    -
    Justin is still a top 4-6 guy but for him to act like he has the leverage to speak on the title picture after that performance is a joke. He got exposed in a way that Dustin and Conor didn’t against Khabib. His lack of a ground defense showed a lack of dedication to the game. When you get starched like that you have to remind everyone of what you’re capable. He should have called Robert Whittaker for advice instead of acting like he still holds all the chips because of the number next to his name.

2. DarkneT Khamzat sucks Platinum Member

Clearly still number 2 at LW but can’t have a say on the title picture?

lol ok man

3. Krixes The Undefeated Gaul Platinum Member

Justin has a huge hole in the grappling department, hopefully he starts training that again.

4. Swarthy Immortal Sorcerer Lo Pan

It is what it is. I do think Conor and Dustin both handled their losses better.

5. youllneverwalkalone Brown Belt

6. Raymundo Alvarado Guevara Blue Belt

Gaethje still an elite LW

7. EndlessCritic Steel Belt

[​IMG]

2/3 judges scored rd 1 for Gaethje. Thread fail.

8. PlasticFishBowl Yellow Belt

He was swinging like a mad man and gassed himself out 3 minutes in. So much for “technical Gaethje” under Wittman.

But yeah, Gaethje is the same fighter as always. I think Dustin would finish him again if they fought.

9. Benoitthegr8 Bum Life Practitioner Platinum Member

He got beaten by the guy who’s beaten everyone, let’s see what Justin does going forward, things are still in his court as he’s still favored by the JBG’s. But to address your point, the Khabib loss was a terrible showing by Gaethje, the moment seemed truly too big for him, I expected him to lose when I heard some of the sound bytes during media week. He sounded overwhelmed, like he was trying to convince himself that here wasn’t self doubt, it was almost reminiscent of when opponents would choke against McGregor. Big talk, then when fight night would arrive they would look like a completely different fighter once in the Octagon.

10. Sticko Purple Belt

TS doesn't know what "starched" means, getting easily subbed on the ground is not what it means.
    Starched means getting stiffened by a punch or kick like Blaydes on Saturday

Gamer2k4 and Foghorn Leghorn like this.
  11. humdizzle Brown Belt

i think justin knew that after he landed clean and it didn't phase khabib he was done. his only chance was an early KO.

he wasn't able to deal with the forward pressure or grappling.

CannotWin likes this.
  12. VinceArch I am all of me.

Gaethje will be back, he lost to Khabib, so did 28 other fighters.

13. Ajax41 Orange Belt

Because the judges always get it right. Khabib landed more strikes, controlled the cage and scored a takedown. Me you and the judges were all wishing that Gaethjes offense would add up to mean something but objectively it didn’t at all. Khabib was better with the lead hand and responded perfectly to his biggest threat. Nothing more to say.

14. Kvothe_the_kingkiller Brown Belt

That's like saying Black Beast Lewis was beating Blaydes the entire fight. Because although Blaydes was actually winning the first round, Lewis was patiently waiting to implement his game. And the fact he did later implement his game proves the argument.

Better question: why are we giving TS the satisfaction of answering his stupid trolling?

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    shunyata likes this.
  15. Ajax41 Orange Belt

Well said. I think when that happens you have a lot to prove and calling shots right after just comes off like a lack of self awareness. Only Tony Ferguson gets away with that and that probably because he shoveled more shit than anyone in the sport to the point of losing his mind.

CannotWin likes this.
  16. Tweak896 Black Belt

Khabib looked like he had an edge in every aspect, and just beat him in each one until he subbed him.

CannotWin and FlowchartRog like this.
  17. kalabula Red Belt

Conor? His loss to khabib? You must be talking about his loss to Dustin, which he handled well.

mikesparrow and smooth assassin like this.
  18. Topher Orange Belt

Man I like Khabib, great fighter. My only beef with the guy is activity and how inherently stupid his fan base is. Literally working overtime to be the GOAT dumbest delusional fan base.

Justin is 5-3 in the UFC and beat a few washed up fighters to get a title shot. It’s not like he had Jon Fitch, Cormier, Weidman, Cain, Glover etc momentum coming into the title fight. Barboza, Vick, Cerrone and a Furg clearly were in bad places. His ranking is warranted honestly.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    GoGetSomeFansJon likes this.
  19. tornado362 Yellow Belt

Number 3.... We all know Oliveira is better

Kid Quick likes this.
  20. DarkneT Khamzat sucks Platinum Member

Trolling or do you want a fucking too?

Guy LeDouche likes this.